Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Strange starting behavior

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 05:35 PM
srauner
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange starting behavior

Riddle me this: Yesterday I drove my X 45 miles to a jobsite where it sat all day. When I came out a 4:00 to go home, it would not start. It cranked fine but had no signs of life similar to when it blew an HPOP o-ring. I cranked it for 3-4 seconds at a time, probably 10-15 times total. I noticed some oily-smelling smoke coming from under the hood each time it cranked, so I had my wife crank it a few times while I stood on the bumper and watched. Each time it cranked the smoke would billow out from the vicinity of the turbo. It was a little low on oil (2 quarts - I've been chasing a small oil leak for some time now), so I topped it off and tried cranking it some more. After another 10-15 attempts, probably around 30 total by now, I gave up, put the key on the console and picked up my phone to call roadside service. While dialing the phone, about 10-15 seconds after the final crank attempt, I heard a noticeable 'whump' from under the hood, plus a puff of the same blue smoke.

I put the key back in the ignition and the truck started right up and drove home fine. I drove it another 80 miles today with no issues.

Any ideas?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:19 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am subscribing, I have no answer for you.

But the next time she doesnt start, open the HPOP tank and look to see what the oil level is. You will need to remove the 7.3 plastic housing. It will be on the gold box in front, there will be a hex head screw that needs to be removed. It is on the drivers side.