Cold Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Joshglov
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Starting Issue

Okay guys here goes,

when the truck is plugged in it will fire up no prob. But if it sits out in the cold for a few hours unplugged it will not start it cranks real slow and wont start almost seemed as if the batteries were pooched so i put two brand new ones in and same deal no real change.

So i work with a guy who drives like an '01 or '02 f 450 cube van with the 7.3 obviously and he said he had the same kinda troubles befor and he was told to change the starter on it cause he was told the glow plugs hardly go on these things? niw i dont know about his glow plugs or mine but i would like to test mine to see how they are. now back to the starter he told me to move his van the other day so i did and his starter is turning wat seems like 3 times as fast as mine if not 3 it will be surly turning twice as fast he says its my starter i dont know myself but he also told me it was my batteries and i changed them and no luck so i dont wanna start throwing parts at the thing not fixing the problem?
Just wondering if anyone has had these troubles and has a solution to it

Old 02-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Joshglov
New User
Come on guys anything?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:10 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
my .02....GPR went bad...look for charring on the posts of the Glow Plug Relay or the main 12v lead boot being melted...Guzzle has a link to replace with a Stancor Ignition Coil, and that thing is pretty beefy...to direct quote Guzzle..."Now this relay looks and feels like its ready to do some serious work."

here's the link....

Welcome to guzzle's Stancor GPR replacement Mod Web Page

hope that helps...good luck...

Old 02-06-2010, 02:07 AM
torquemeister
Tuned
Test the GPR (assuming your not in CA and have a GPCM). Turn key to RUN position and measure voltage at the #4 large stud on the GPR (relay closest to the firewall). One of the large studs has voltage all the time, the other large stud only has it when engine is cold. It will run for about 2 minutes after the truck is running. If your GPR is working correctly, it could be your starter or your battery connections. It needs 10.5+ volts and a minimum RPM (not sure of the #) before the computer tells the injectors to fire. OK, not really "fire" but you get my point

-Chris

Old 02-15-2010, 12:32 AM
BuiltFordTough 1981
New User
hey...

It's your starter. I have a 2000 F-250 and I've had to replace the starter twice because of bad glow plugs and crankin on it so much. You should be able to get a good used one for $100 or so or just get a new one if you got a few hundred bucks. I guarantee it will crank 2-3 times as fast but if you're having to crank it alot to get it to start you need to check your glowplug system. I found some burnt out gp's by continuity testing them. The starter is real easy to replace. Three 14mm bolts and two others for the hot and ignition wires. Only takes about 10 minutes to pull it.