Supercab sound deadener / heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 06:39 PM
tyman00
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercab sound deadener / heat shield

Hey all,

When I picked up my Supercab the previous owner sent new carpet with it. It is time for me to finish the interior and I was wondering what everyone is doing for underlayment. I was looking at LMC, DC, ACC and NPD and noticed no one really carries sound deadener or a heat shield for Supercabs.

So I was thinking I would go a LMC deadener and heat shield and cut to fit. Their catalog shows a 2 piece version for the Crew Cab and a 2 piece version for the Bronco.

Which one would be better for trimming to fit? I was thinking the Bronco the floor pans seem (to me at least) to follow the Supercab lines more than the CC.

Does anyone have a good source for Supercab underlayments?

On a different subject... Does anyone have any recommendations for a rubber mat to put in a different Supercab I picked up. Mice made a hell of a mess in the carpet so I am thinking of a rubber floor since it will be my winter driver anyway. Thanks for any input!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, one option is to rhino line the cab floor. dynamat of fatmat are probably your best choices. there is another one that i cant remember off hand that has colored roll in sound deadeners in addition to the regular sticky stuff. dyna and fatmat also have roll in stuff. for your other truck, there are some roll or paint in bedliners available at wally world you could also use. the carpet alone will do a pretty decent job of quieting things down, but if you use a liner as well, itll get quiet in a hurry. hope this helps.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:11 PM
tyman00
Junior User
I had thought about Dynamat as a sound deadener but wasn't sure about the insulating value as both a heat shield and for the cold ND winters.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:23 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
youre in north dakota?? where at? im goin to school in elendale.

and as the dynamat works good as an insulator. LMC also has some stuff that is sold by the roll for both deadening and insulating.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:33 PM
kehoeautomotive
Junior User
I use the same stuff that cars have used since dinosaur times. I use plain old fashioned jute. It's cheap and yes Dynamat is better but not so much better than the price.

As far as the Rubber Mat goes Home Depot sell outdoor ribbed rubber and outdoor ribbed carpet that I installed in my truck. 25$ and 10$ worth of Jute. Price is right and I'm happy with the sound deading it provided. Use a heat gun to lay out the carpet.

If you want to go crazy, use two layers of jute and it'll really cut out that road noise.

What can I say? I'm cheap and my carpet looks great. With my blue interoir and I used a blue outdoor carpet ribbed with white mesh in it and my truck is white. look great.....

Old 02-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Greyman
Senior User
I used this stuff on my supercab, for floors, doorpanels,and soon under the headliner. Also used dynamat around the back of the cab under the plastic panels, quiet as a new rig. Thermozite Insulator Padding - Sound & Heat Solution

Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 AM
Kalve
Posting Guru
Which would be best to use between Thermozite & Dynamat? Mine does not have carpet in it so for temp I was just going to get a old bed mat & outdoor carpet till I redo the interior. I am planning to use Rino liner or something similiar & something like Dynamat & floor liners & carpet to keep it real quiet. Is there anything else you could add to keep it real quit besides what is already listed?

Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 AM
miottimouse
Posting Guru
i used dynamat for all mine very happy with it i have pics in my gallery of the instalation but i did every thing roof,doors floor rear cab wall and inside the panals below rear side glass [see what i did for access to this area to clean up and protect[]

Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 AM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
plans for deadening my truck include running grommets through the appropriate pillars for wiring to go through, and then filling them with insulation foam, putting dynamat on the floors, walls, roof, and inside both the inner and outter door panels of the door, making it twice as thick on the floor, and three times on the firewall, as well as a layer behind the dash. then i havent decided on a vinyl floor mat or carpet yet. the underside of the cab will also be rhino lined, and of course the doors will have brand new weatherstriping. oh yeah, and i plan on using two shifter boots on all four sticks (tranny, aux tranny, and twin-stick NP205.)

Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 AM
tyman00
Junior User
Originally Posted by 460/5
youre in north dakota?? where at? im goin to school in elendale.

and as the dynamat works good as an insulator. LMC also has some stuff that is sold by the roll for both deadening and insulating.
I live in Mandan.

I might have to re-evaluate Dynamat or something like it. If not I may go with the bronco version of the LMC shields and cut to fit. I think if I use the Sound Deadener and Heat Shield I should get good good sound and heat control.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
For the roof, I went with the Dynamat Extreme stuff, and then stuck a layer of insulation over the top of it before I put in my new headliner. The floor, however, is a different subject.

I had the entire floor and back walls of the cab floor done by Line-X, which should serve as both a waterproofer and a sound deadener. Once I get the wiring done, I'll be putting in a layer of Dynamat down, and then another layer of insulation before I lay the carpet down (which has a jute backing as well).

If you want to find the Dynamat stuff, you can either go through their online site, or you can find it at most automotive stereo shops, but I think you can get the best price if you go online and get it through Amazon, if I remember correctly. I think the Dynamat Extreme is just a bit thicker than the plain Dynamat. I got a stack of the stuff from LMC, and I decided against putting it in the truck as it just didn't strike me as well designed as the Dynamat stuff....which is weird, considering it's just a tar like material with a metallic backing.

I figure the Dynamat should adhere quite well to the textured finish of the Line-X once I roll it out, and the insulation can be glued to the metallick backing of the Dynamat. That way, should I ever need to pull it all out again, I can rip the carpet out, and peel the Dynamat out (theoretically).

Anyway, that's how Buford's floor is being done.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:43 AM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
that sounds kinda like what i want to do. i havent decided if i want the inside of the floor rhino lined yet or not though...

Old 02-02-2010, 11:33 PM
compressorguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by 460/5
plans for deadening my truck include running grommets through the appropriate pillars for wiring to go through, and then filling them with insulation foam, putting dynamat on the floors, walls, roof, and inside both the inner and outter door panels of the door, making it twice as thick on the floor, and three times on the firewall, as well as a layer behind the dash. then i havent decided on a vinyl floor mat or carpet yet. the underside of the cab will also be rhino lined, and of course the doors will have brand new weatherstriping. oh yeah, and i plan on using two shifter boots on all four sticks (tranny, aux tranny, and twin-stick NP205.)
I wouldn't put the insulation foam inside the pillars. If you do a search on this forum you will find that it holds moisture against the body and causes cancer.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
good point compressorguy. that hadnt crossed my mind. guess ill have to come up with somethin else...

Old 02-03-2010, 04:10 AM
miottimouse
Posting Guru
foam also squeks like hell

Quick Reply: Supercab sound deadener / heat shield