1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in need of good advice...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:26 PM
f350frenzy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in need of good advice...

I recently bought a 2004 f-350 crewcab 6.0 longbed 4x4..I love the truck so far its done everything I wanted it to do and more....but now after seeing these different web sites that are trashing the 6.0 f350 and all the problems these people have had, I wonder If I should have stayed with my old f-150?....I have a 2 year warrenty but it does not make me feel much better after seeing so many unhappy customers.....does anybody have something good to say about these trucks?......

Old 01-26-2010, 12:16 AM
psdendurance
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You only read on the net about all the bad trucks, millions out there? with no issues.
I had a 00-7.3 for 60k miles no issues then a 05-6.0L. It had surge problems under a big load going up hills. Ford or the super techs around here could not figure it out. I could live with it and learned how to drive it through the surge. It was a pain.
My wife would not drive it.

I too was concerned about 'all the problems'
I decided to sell it and, move over to the 06-V-10. Less issues plugs and maybe header bolts. Sure not that many V10 major issues to be found. Wife loves the 'new' truck.. no problem driving or pulling with it.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:22 AM
f350frenzy
New User
thank you...

I think I was having some buyers remorse....I thought I had done my homework better...I have wanted to stay with ford when buying trucks especialy after the goverment bailled out the other two and ford said theyed just tough it out...thats my kind of company....

Old 01-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you have a two year warranty drive it for a year and if you are having problems with it that gives you a full other year to get rid of it. You read about the people who have problems like person above most people biatch when they are unhappy and shut up when things are good. More than likely you got it right when you said buyers remorse spending a big chunk of money comes with its own guilt and hope that you did the right thing.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:40 PM
TEAM HARD
Senior User
Originally Posted by f350frenzy
I recently bought a 2004 f-350 crewcab 6.0 longbed 4x4..I love the truck so far its done everything I wanted it to do and more....but now after seeing these different web sites that are trashing the 6.0 f350 and all the problems these people have had, I wonder If I should have stayed with my old f-150?....I have a 2 year warrenty but it does not make me feel much better after seeing so many unhappy customers.....does anybody have something good to say about these trucks?......
Like others have said, you'll only hear about the bad from most folks. Having said that, you really need to resist the urge to mod the hell out of the 6.0 motor. Leave it as stock as possible, it seems like most of the problems happen to the guys with the two smoke billowing chimneys and 140 hp tunes. I rarely hear the stock guys complain. Talk to the guys on the 6.0 forums also, they will set you up to get some "fixes" to avoid potential issues down the road.

The only other cure is the V10... which is what i did. I almost bought a 6.0 used... read more about them and bought the gasser instead. No remorse here. Best of luck to you though.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:05 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 1,000 Posts
I've been told that you can not let these 6.0's sit long.....you figure it out...I bought mine new in Aug '05. I now have right at 40k miles on it. Yeah, it sits a lot. When I DO drive it, I drive the snot out of it....The only thing it's ever been back to the dealer for is the turbo hose blew off way back when.... and while on a cross country trip with my 5th wheel. Pulled it into a dealer in Dallas/Ft Worth area.... got it back in about and hour and have been driving it like I stole it since...WHEN I drive it. I love this truck!

Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 PM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
I had Sixohh-itis, and a V10 was my cure. By the way, plugs have not been a problem since the 02's!

Old 01-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
V10 man is the only way to go. Diesels are for people with codependency problems =)

Old 01-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Rush117
Senior User
Originally Posted by Wagion
V10 man is the only way to go. Diesels are for people with codependency problems =)
Yeah right! You say that the V10 is the ONLY way to go and you think that diesel owners are the ones attempting to control others. I have nothing bad to say about the V10 but it certainly isn't the ONLY way to go. Just ask 75% of all SD owners.

OP: I have a 6.0 and it has seen the inside of a shop once since I drove it off the lot, and that was for a power steering fluid leak. Don't let the horror stories fool you. There are a few things you can do that will significantly raise reliability. Peruse the 6.0 forums, especially the tech folders, and you'll learn a lot about how to maintain your engine for many years of trouble free operation.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:00 AM
f350frenzy
New User
never owned a diesel..

thats good advice I keep checking the web for PM advice....I was told that you do have to drive the hell out of it at the dealership, I dont know if that was they'r way to "say hey you got shafted now this is the only fix"...I did get the two year warranty, it seems to cover all the expensive things...I do love the truck...my old f150 was just having to many problems..plus I needed something that had some pulling power...I really dont need five hundred hp so I'll keep from doing any mods that would risk it spending more time in the shop then on the road...I drive alot and I put a hell of alot of miles on my previous trucks so I wanted something that can take a beatin and still go the distance...I have herd great things about the v10 and of course the 7.3...the dealership keeps reassuring me the 05 and 06s had the most problems...they have tried very hard to be helpful and adress the concerns I have had...

Old 01-29-2010, 03:17 PM
pbeering
Elder User
Fret not.
Free advice:
1. Make no mods to motor
2. Cetane booster in every tank
3. Buy fuel from the same place, one that uses lots of it.
4. Don't be afraid of it
5. These motors do not like to be hot.
6. These motors do like to work.
7. Filters at recommended intervals or sooner.
8. Check for Turbo coking now and then.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:13 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

You can go to the dealer and ask for an oasis report and get the history on the truck. Just drive it for 2 yrs. and sell it before the warranty runs out.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:22 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I recently bought a 2004 f-350 crewcab 6.0 longbed 4x4..I love the truck so far its done everything I wanted it to do and more.........

does anybody have something good to say about these trucks?......
First off, welcome to FTE. Next, just take a deep breath. The 03 6.0 trucks were the worst, the 04's still had some issues, but many believe they were worked out by 05.

Lucky for you, you've found FTE. Scroll further down the main forum listing and you'll find the 03 - 07 6.0 diesel section. There's lots of good info down there. Read up on things and ask questions. Soon you'll have a better understanding of your motor and know the weak links. Once you know what to look for, you can either adjust your driving habits, or make certain modifications to ensure your truck gives you a couple of hundred thousand miles of performance.

Knowledge is power, and learning from others experiences is the cheapest way to gain the knowledge. That's where FTE comes in.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:14 PM
57fomoco
Senior User

I own a 2006 6.0 and I love it. I work for a large fleet that has about 400 pickups and mechanic service trucks. We have both Gas and Diesels, Fords (7.3, 6.0,5.9B, and 6.4's) Chevy/GMC (6.5,6.6) Dodge (5.9B, 6.7B)and we really have very few engine related problems with any of the trucks. We do not put tuners or high performance accessories on any of them. We do change all of the fluid and filters on a very regular schedule and try to use the OEM filters and follow the OEM recommendations on fluids and additives. Our Ford 6.0's have been great engines not much in the way of problems other than routine maintenance. We are in the Nevada desert and they definitely get a work out on a regular basis. Our fleet has 1993 to 2009 and we usually run them 3 to 400,000 miles before we retire them. If you do not drive very much you would be better off with a Gasser because you will spend a lot less on routine maintenance, but this is still America and you should be able to drive what ever you want just because you want to. You definitely won't be going wrong with a Ford.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:28 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Keep the truck. When your warranty expires start researching the mods you can do to improve the engine and eliminate the potential problems. Live long and prosper.