General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why you shouldn't use hi-flow pumps/dispensers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 PM
ScubaCat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is why you shouldn't use hi-flow pumps/dispensers...

We all know how sensitive the fuel systems are on the 6.0/6.4 and that they are highly susceptible to failure without CLEAN/quality fuel. This info is from an acquaintance who works for a major company that services gas/diesel pumps/dispensers at stations.

Long story short, stay away from the HIGH speed diesel pumps. 95%+ DO NOT have fuel filters between the tanks and the nozzle and many don't even have trash screens. Think of this as your first line of defense in not having a HUGE power stroke repair bill... Here is some of what he told me...Do yourself a favor, take the extra 3-5 minutes and use the SLOWER pumps/dispensers.

"The ones still using ultra high flow diesel pumps , This is a site with 1 single ultra high flow that only sells a couple hundred gals a day. Luckily they have electronic leak detection so the strainer stopped alot from getting to the dispenser .
Mud ...

Cleaning

The maintenance manager showed up to see what the problem was so I stop taking pics .. did get a fuel sample pic ..... that doesnt look or smell like diesel , note sediment

Heres the drop tube that goes in the riser where the driver make fuel drops , See the overfill cut off .. when the float rises it cuts the flow off.

"

Old 01-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Surge08
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy crap!!!!!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:33 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScubaCat
This is a site with 1 single ultra high flow that only sells a couple hundred gals a day.
I think that has a lot to do with it too.....it's best to get fuel from a high volume dealer.

Where is that station?

Old 01-28-2010, 07:53 PM
defyrftr
Post Fiend
That's a lot of crud. Makes me want to change my filters again.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:14 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Subscribing

Old 01-28-2010, 09:04 PM
ScubaCat
Senior User
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
I think that has a lot to do with it too.....it's best to get fuel from a high volume dealer.

Where is that station?

Actually, it would let the junk settle, thus being less likely to be ingested. A tank that is being filled often is going to have more crud in suspension.

He works in Va.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Surge08
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by defyrftr
That's a lot of crud. Makes me want to change my filters again.
Agreed............................

Old 01-28-2010, 09:25 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Oh great! now you tell me..

I have been using the high flow pumps..

I shouldn't have any problem since this is a new station..

I guess I will stop using them now just to be safe..

Thanks for the info..

Old 01-28-2010, 10:01 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Actually, it would let the junk settle, thus being less likely to be ingested. A tank that is being filled often is going to have more crud in suspension.

He works in Va.
Where or in what general area of VA? That's where I am.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:17 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveBricks

Where is that station?

He works in Va.
I agree with Steve, that it's better to deal with the high volume fuel stations.

I also agree with Scuba, and I cringe whenever I have to buy fuel while the delivery truck is right there filling the underground tanks. You have to know that the fuel stream is whipping up all the gunk that normally lies peacefully on the bottom of the tank.

But I just don't think this has anything to do with a high or low flow dispensing pump. Bad maintenance is bad maintenance, no matter what the flow rate.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:02 AM
ScubaCat
Senior User
Originally Posted by bpounds
I agree with Steve, that it's better to deal with the high volume fuel stations.

I also agree with Scuba, and I cringe whenever I have to buy fuel while the delivery truck is right there filling the underground tanks. You have to know that the fuel stream is whipping up all the gunk that normally lies peacefully on the bottom of the tank.

But I just don't think this has anything to do with a high or low flow dispensing pump. Bad maintenance is bad maintenance, no matter what the flow rate.
I agree, but given the propensity for PS's to have issues when fed dirty/substandard fuel, wouldn't it make you feel better to have at least 1 or 2 more filter elements between the (ground) tank and your truck?Ford what these things cost to work on, I'll MAKE time to use the slower pump.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For what it's worth, any location worth the effort will almost ALWAYS have a filter on every pump. Some of them are exposed, some of them are not.

The thing about a high-volume service station is that the fuel is never in the tanks long enough for settling (and water retention) to be a problem. Fuel quality problems almost ALWAYS can be traced back to old fuel.

As for those pictures, the amount of garbage on the in-tank strainer leads me to wonder if some fool didn't scrape a couple of handfuls of dirt into the tank by "accident".

(yet another data point for an aftermarket high-filter-capacity fuel filter system for the 6.0.)

-blaine

Old 01-31-2010, 10:21 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I agree, but given the propensity for PS's to have issues when fed dirty/substandard fuel, wouldn't it make you feel better to have at least 1 or 2 more filter elements between the (ground) tank and your truck?Ford what these things cost to work on, I'll MAKE time to use the slower pump.
Agree, when there is a choice.

Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
For what it's worth, any location worth the effort will almost ALWAYS have a filter on every pump. Some of them are exposed, some of them are not.
I think so too. It would have to be some pretty crappy management for a station to completely remove the filter elements. Which means I don't believe the "95% don't have any filters". Sounds like an exaggeration at best. I'm pretty sure big rigs need clean fuel too.

For the record, as far as I know I have never used a high volume pump. I often fuel up at truck stops, Flying J, Loves, TA, etc. They all have RV and auto islands. Leave the truck islands to those trying to earn a living. They don't need a bunch of 4 wheelers getting in their way.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Surge08
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bpounds
Leave the truck islands to those trying to earn a living. They don't need a bunch of 4 wheelers getting in their way.
Agreed