Oil & Lubrication  

wal-mart oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:05 PM
captaineddie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the information about the difference between dinos and synthetics. Has anybody ever used a brand called Lubri Moly [also known as Lubro Moly]?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:46 PM
RentAMan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I must have passed over that explanation in the previous pages.
Thank you both for the clarification, I appreciate that.

Though one thing still bugs me.
You say that its not worth the extra cost for syns...
BUT......do you not think that the $40 per syn oil change,
coupled with a 10k-15k OCI is equal to a $20 per DINO
change at 5k-7k?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:26 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RentAMan
Though one thing still bugs me.
You say that its not worth the extra cost for syns...
BUT......do you not think that the $40 per syn oil change,
coupled with a 10k-15k OCI is equal to a $20 per DINO
change at 5k-7k?
Warranty issues. The book says 6 months/5000 miles. You do not have to do that. but why take the risk? My 09 Jeep has a lifetime engine warranty with no mileage restriction (although I will probably only keep it 2 or 3 years).

And with leases, you are obligated to maintain per manufacturer's specs. Probably no big deal if you do not, but if something does go wrong, it will be the first thing the lease company will point to.

So even if the cost is the same, there is risk involved. Why take a risk for even money?

Also, I can do a dino change for under $15. AZ and O'Reilly all have $12.99 5 qt. and filter specials.

Almost done. I bought about 20-30 cases of name brand 5w-30 SL oil when it was on sale a few years ago. Bought most of it <$1/qt. That oil is perfect for my older cars and/or cars out of warranty. Those oil changes cost me less than $10.

Finally, the main benefit to syn., as I see it, is under extreme temperatures and/or usage. I really do not use my cars that hard. Mostly puttering around in suburban driving. Even when I tow, it really is not that heavy of a trailer (10k lbs.), and I plan my routes for maximum freeway driving on the flattest terrain. And I have done UOA on the dino used in my diesels. They all came back squeaky clean. If a longer OCI is what I was interested in, I would just extend my dino a couple of thousand miles. I know it can take it.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:16 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pawpaw

The difference between the GTL (Gas To Liquid) Group-3+ base oils, (because they begin with natural gas, that doesn't have as many nasties as crude) & PAO is nil, for most purposes.

Most premium quality mineral oils can go 10-12K in a sound engine, but most manufacturers don't yet recommend that kind of OCI.
Shell's XHVI Group III+ base oil is made from petroleum slack wax, since most GTL projects are still under construction or on hold in the current economy. Helix Ultra and Rotella T synthetic are made from that base oil. Rotella T syn is one heck of a bargain at about $20 a gallon.

Our 1992 BMW had its computer calibrated for 10,000 mile maximum OCI with BMW Long Life approved DINO, which was really just 15W-40 HDEO. At the time, Chevron Delo 400 listed the spec and thats what I mostly used. So, Group II+ base oil plus HDEO add pack = 10k miles OCI.

Jim

Old 02-17-2010, 01:22 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by captaineddie
Thanks for all the information about the difference between dinos and synthetics. Has anybody ever used a brand called Lubri Moly [also known as Lubro Moly]?
Never used it, but it is another boutique "Euro Trash" oil. A BMW mail order parts supplier sells it for high prices. Elf, Motul and Agip are also available mail order if Royal Purple or Redlne just arent expensive or exclusive enough for you. Since Chevron and others use Moly in regular oil formulas now, and many European synthetics are Group III, I just dont see the point.

Jim

Old 03-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Thistle3595
Senior User
When I tear down my engines at 200,000 miles, they are as clean
as when they are put together.

Rent-A-Man! lawn & tree
Killeen, TX
Why do you tear down your engines at 200,000 miles?

Old 04-01-2010, 05:18 PM
mprice
Elder User
I TRULY AM SEEKING THE REAL ANSWER TO THIS:
PawPaw...I am curious why you say that the base oil package does not
make any difference. If the base oil package is on a par with DINO,
then what good is using syns, regardless of what is added.
Syns were designed for low friction, longevity, better emissions and
lower production of sludge and vapor byproducts to the atmosphere.
If I am not correct on this, please help me out to understand.

jschira...I thought that only group IV and higher could be listed as syns?
With group V considered only full 100% syns?
Group III were blends?
Group I & II were DINO.

Again, just curious. If my information has been wrong, I stand corrected.
low friction - nope, just as "slickery", unless it's got the energy saving starburst stamp that means it's got friction modifiers but that has nothing to do with dino vs. syn
better emissions - how? I can't even come up with a theory on this one - burnt oil is burnt oil syn or not
sludge - I'll give you this one but running any oil too long, even a boutique syn, and you'll get sludge. It just takes longer with the syn than the dino.

Synthetic do have generally have special features BUT it's only worth the extra money IF you are going to call on those features. If you aren't in a COOOLD climate, have a turbo or running long OCIs then you'll never see the benefit. An SM rated conventional will protect an ordinary engine in an ordinary climate just as well as some fancy pants synthetic for the first 5k-10k miles. It's like buying a 100ft extension ladder to put siding on a one-story ranch house. It's not going to hurt anything and you might feel cool but there's no real benefit either.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM
bradcdavis00
Senior User
The Military uses bulk dino 15w40 in their heavy equipment for the most part.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 700 Likes on 454 Posts
And I've only met one truck driver who's ever used full synthetic oil in his truck. It's extremely rare in the trucking industry. Most places don't even sell it! I've NEVER seen RTS or Mobil1 TDT at a truck service shop. I've seen Delvac 1 twice...

Old 04-20-2010, 11:40 PM
DreadyDiggs
Senior User
Use whatever the hell you want to use. If you've got oil in your vehicle you'll be aight. Watch the mileages of some of the vehicles that come into shops getting regular oil changes. Folks with 250,000 on their Chevy Cavaliers still not putting high mileage in. Thing runs like ****, but not cause of the oil haha.

My 84 Supra has 10W-40 Supertech HighMileage and a Purolator Pure One Filter.
My F150 has 10W-30 Motorcraft SynBlend and a Pennzoil PZ1 filter I "acquired" at work.

I'm deciding whether to use the same oil and filters for them now on or using Motorcraft for the truck and something else for the Supra. Not sure yet.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Fuelhog 5212
Senior User
Bottom line - would you guys run wallyworld super tech 15w40 in your 7.3 idi turbo? It's a '93 with 350k kliks on it.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:14 PM
DreadyDiggs
Senior User
I would...

Old 04-29-2010, 05:54 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuelhog 5212
Bottom line - would you guys run wallyworld super tech 15w40 in your 7.3 idi turbo? It's a '93 with 350k kliks on it.
Yes. And I have.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Fuelhog 5212
Senior User
Yeah, I kind of figure its designed for a diesel, it exceeds certain specs and as long as a person keeps it halfway clean should be fine i suppose. Where I live everyone is gaga over the shell rotella t and I really don't see the big deal to pay almost twice as much .

Old 04-29-2010, 04:38 PM
mprice
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fuelhog 5212
Yeah, I kind of figure its designed for a diesel, it exceeds certain specs and as long as a person keeps it halfway clean should be fine i suppose. Where I live everyone is gaga over the shell rotella t and I really don't see the big deal to pay almost twice as much .
I would think cold flow would be a big selling point in your area, at least in the other half of the year.

Quick Reply: wal-mart oil