6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

COOLANT PUKING FROM FILL CAP, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry to hear about this man. hopefully you dont have to replace the headgaskets. ford should really take responsibility for their mistake (international's really, but its ford's problem) and extend the warranty period for the 6.0's

Old 01-25-2010, 12:21 AM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Are you filling the coolant to the MIN level or are you filling it up to the MAX level.
There are still many that do not know that the MIN LEVEL is really the new MAX level.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:12 AM
southbound35west
Elder User
Originally Posted by 03-6L-X
Are you filling the coolant to the MIN level or are you filling it up to the MAX level.
There are still many that do not know that the MIN LEVEL is really the new MAX level.
i did fill it up past the min kevel, but should it have all puked out like within the first week of filling it up? i filled it about 1 month ago..........would it puke a little every time i drive it still? i only drive it 2 times a week.................that would be great if thats all it was............thanks for the info..

Old 01-25-2010, 11:16 AM
03-6L-X
Elder User
You said that you added some "coolant" to your system, what did you use?

Ford Gold?

Xerex G-05?

or

Something else?

If you added the something else you are in deep, deep sh....

Is the filter on your Coolant filtration a non treated filter?

Old 01-25-2010, 02:52 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
You said that you added some "coolant" to your system, what did you use?

Ford Gold?

Xerex G-05?

or

Something else?

If you added the something else you are in deep, deep sh....

Is the filter on your Coolant filtration a non treated filter?
i used ford gold coolant, i only use motocraft parts and fluids on this vehicle......the coolant filter is a wix or baldwin made in usa filter, i dont know if its a non treated or not would that cause an issue? i just hope this issue was from an over fill on the coolant.................if i had a blown headgasket, should i see it leaking around the head somewhere?

Old 01-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Headviking
Posting Guru

Here's what happened to me at the first of the month (2010) I had noticed some puking coming out of my degas bottle, not much just enough to notice, last month. I dropped the level down about 1/2" from min., replaced cap. I also noticed that on normal temp engine I heard a some what like a howl sound at 1800 - 2100 RPM. Some smell of unburned fuel outside the truck and a small oil leak under the truck just a drop once in a while. Took my truck to the dealer and the diesel tech guy did some test and looked it over and the results were. Forgot some times my turbo had low boost. Just some times. Anyway the results was rebuilt turbo, replace oil cooler, replace EGR cooler, replace dummy rail plugs and last but not least head gasket (ARP) went in.
Just saying it may seem small but could be more under neath the surface. I had a great diesel tech guy on my side everything was covered under 100K but the dummy plugs, my cost $84.00 plus the price of ARP studs and a tip for the mechanic $200. My truck never had any tunes. I have 80K on the clock. IMO, if your under 100K have the dealer do there's warranty stuff supply them with ARP studs have them check everything that comes off and report to you of any were or tear. My mechanic even took pictures during the tear down and built up, emailed me every night to report any findings. Just my two cents

Old 01-25-2010, 03:45 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
headviking............thanks for the good info, i have not noticed any oil leaking yet..... yes i have a good tech on my side also at my dealer that will have this issue covered under warranty, but i want to do the egr delete while its at the dealer and that will void whats left of my warranty so i am trying to hold off as long as possible...............who knows i might not even have a blown headgasket, it may have just been an coolant overfill it puking out........i drove it today 40 miles and it did not puke any coolant today, so i dont know what it is,.....................my friens 2007 6.0 was puking coolant he took it in and it was a blown headgasket.......................guess only time will tell what my issue is???

Old 01-25-2010, 03:49 PM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Originally Posted by southbound35west
i used ford gold coolant, i only use motocraft parts and fluids on this vehicle......the coolant filter is a wix or baldwin made in usa filter, i dont know if its a non treated or not would that cause an issue? i just hope this issue was from an over fill on the coolant.................if i had a blown headgasket, should i see it leaking around the head somewhere?
I know the filters Dieselsite sells are the Baldwin non treated. Just check to see if the one you have is or is not treated. Treated may be just enough to slightly mess up your system. Just another point to check off the list of "easy to fix" before getting to $$$$$ hope its under warranty fix.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:55 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
I know the filters Dieselsite sells are the Baldwin non treated. Just check to see if the one you have is or is not treated. Treated may be just enough to slightly mess up your system. Just another point to check off the list of "easy to fix" before getting to $$$$$ hope its under warranty fix.
i will check the filter to make sure its not treated..................it will be covered under warranty when i decide to take it in to the dealer, i just want to to do the arp studs and the eger delete when i take it and the egr delete will void whats left of my warranty, so just trying to hold off on going to the dealer and still just trying to diagnose my coolant issue........but if it keep the coolant puking up it will be headed to the dealer before it does any worse damage....

Old 01-25-2010, 05:43 PM
WH90
Senior User
When you take the cap off on a normal running and engine if you feel pressure like a puff puff pressure then the gaskets are blown

Old 01-25-2010, 05:55 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
Originally Posted by WH90
When you take the cap off on a normal running and engine if you feel pressure like a puff puff pressure then the gaskets are blown
so does the engine need to be at normal operating temp and running?.........then just unscrew cap and if i feel puffing coming from the coolant feel then that will tell me i have blown head gasket?................i will try that........when i take the cap off when the motor is hot will it blow coolant everywhere like my gas engine coolant system does?

Old 01-25-2010, 06:08 PM
WH90
Senior User
Yep open it slowly open it cold and hot jus to see what happens

Old 01-25-2010, 06:08 PM
03-6L-X
Elder User
When I have had a gasser with a blown head gasket did not need to take it up to temp to know, it just did from the get go.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:14 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
Originally Posted by WH90
Yep open it slowly open it cold and hot jus to see what happens
ok i will try it thanks for the info

Old 01-25-2010, 06:16 PM
WH90
Senior User
Originally Posted by southbound35west
ok i will try it thanks for the info
Aight let us know what happens man

Quick Reply: COOLANT PUKING FROM FILL CAP, PLEASE HELP!