General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Giving up is a hard thing to do.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:45 PM
PorchFarms
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Giving up is a hard thing to do.

Well after 12 years i finally are giving up my cigarettes. I know this is off topic but how many others have done the same thing. Right now the worst part is the damn sore throat. But it is my fault i never should have picked them up in the first place.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:50 PM
going up 2!
Senior User
well ive never smoked but i have had some bad habits that ive had to kick.good luck and i will u well.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I moved you to the General Non Automotive Conversation.

Like any habit it is all in what you are willing to do, no one can tell you stop until you want to stop smoking. People can tell you all sorts of "How I did it" stories.

My 2 cents worth.

Quit when "you" are ready.

Nicotine is what you crave, nicotine gum or patches are just prolonging the process.

The first 3 days cold Turkey are the worse, after that, it is a day at a time.

Nicotine, Alcohol, and Caffeine are your worst enemies when trying to quit, one wants the other. Water and juices are you your friend.

When you get a craving, ignore it, after a minute it goes away.

Keep friends, family and pets at a safe distance A pin dropping on the floor could set you off, and don't ask me how I know these things.

Good Luck!

Old 01-21-2010, 08:21 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I quit after 20 yrs of smoking. It was tough but well worth it. I quit cold turkey. You can do it if your really ready to put them down.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The first 2 months will be the hardest..............after that, you got it licked.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:29 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife is a healthy minded person. She works out two hours a day, eats healthy bird looking food, and only eats grilled chicken or fish. She does not drink but does smoke a pack a day.

For Christmas, I gave her an electronic cigarette. You still get the nicotine and blow smoke(vapor mist). You can use it anywhere in public. It definitely helps to break the habit.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:47 AM
06supercrew
Senior User
I smoked for nearly 20 years and have been quit for nearly 25. I tried to quit a number of times because I knew they were not good for me and other people pressuring me but, it did not work. When they made me feel bad every time I smoked one, I decided it was time and went cold turkey. I was ready, it was not easy, have never regretted it.

Good luck and tough it out, you will be glad you did.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:43 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
I chewed copenhagen for 20 yrs and stopped cold on St Pattys day 10yrs ago and never looked back. The first month or so I had a quick temper but Ive always been that way just made it worse I quess is what Im trying to say. I did start making alot more beef jerky so I had something to do,Good luck

Old 01-22-2010, 08:20 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Enlist the help of your friends. Make sure they are on board with your decision and will help you. By this, I mean that when you are out drinking, you are going to crave a smoke. If your friends know you are trying to quit, they will refuse your request for a cigarette. You'll be really mad at them, but the next day, you'll thank them. That is a tough hurdle to get past when you are first off the smokes. Also, don't be fooled into thinking that 'just one cigarette will be okay' after the first few days- or weeks. You'll buy your own pack by the end of the day if you do. Get some gum (traditional gum) or lifesavers to help get you through those cravings. Last but not least, use a little trick that AA teaches- one day at a time. Cigarettes are an addiction. If you are craving one so badly that you might choke someone, just wait five minutes, 10 minutes, 30, whatever, before giving in. It really does work, but you have to be strong for a few days.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I quit years ago. I have been sober for 27 years & I have to say quitting smokes was harder than alcohol.
But it is just "one day at a time", & sometimes on second at a time. When the craving hits just tell yourself I'll smoke later. For me later never came. That was years ago. If I ever think about smoking & tell myself I do it later.
You can do it. Might not have any finger nails left but they will grow back.
Craig

Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Try the non nicotine Quest lll cigarettes , after a week or two , the nicotine need is gone & all that is left is the habit . That part is much easier to give up..

Old 01-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As with any addiction (and I've quit a few), the rules are simple: You gotta wanna - if you don't wanna, you're not gonna...

I've found that Buddhist meditation techniques - breath counting - are good as they help you clear and quiet your mind so you can move on to other things...

Good job quitting! Now, don't forget to breath...

Old 01-22-2010, 01:56 PM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations to the OP and everyone else that has quit and has not started back! I just wish my wife would quit.
As for me, I have never smoked.

But a question for you that have stopped and haven't smoked for several years or more, do you ever get the urge or carving for one?

Reason I ask, I was told by folks that have quit that the craving never goes away. That's scary if it's true.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ddrumman2004
But a question for you that have stopped and haven't smoked for several years or more, do you ever get the urge or carving for one?
I quit smoking 15-years ago - haven't had any urges to start it back up again - I would think the price of smokes now is enough incentive to make people want to quit lol...

Alcohol is another story... but then, I just remind myself that it can kill me then I'm fine... Breathe...

I do like my coffee though - ain't no way in hell I'm giving that up!

Old 01-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by ddrumman2004
Reason I ask, I was told by folks that have quit that the craving never goes away. That's scary if it's true.
Remember grandma baking that hot apple pie when you were knee high to a grass hopper, same as when you used to smoke. You remember how it tasted, then it is gone.....not really a craving.

Quick Reply: Giving up is a hard thing to do.