2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PATS Thread - Program Your Own Keys & Other Useful PATS Info

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Hoosh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received the key blank quickly and it fit in the ignition, so I took it to a local hardware store to have it cut.

One hardware store said they'd cut it for free since I already owned the blank, but two other hardware stores wouldn't cut it at all, even for a fee. They didn't want the liability if they messed up the cut or if the key didn't turn the ignition after it was cut. The place that cut it for me made sure I understood that if it didn't work after they cut it they weren't liable. I'd recommend checking with the store before you go out of your way to have them cut it. One store told me over the phone they could do it, but then when I showed up and the guy asked the manager he was told that they won't do it.

It's not an easy key to fit into the cutting machine. Luckily the place that cut it had two different machines, because it wouldn't fit in the first one he tried.

After having it cut it turned the ignition, so I was then able to program it using the two original keys that came with the truck via Tylus' (#3a) instructions. This only programs it to start the truck though. It doesn't program the lock, unlock and panic buttons. I used Tylus' (#4) instructions to do this. Keep in mind that you have to have all key fobs with you when you follow these (#4) instructions. Any fobs that are not present will no longer be programmed to your vehicle.

Everything went well, and I now have a new, all-in-one, foldable key that only cost a total of $23.74! I only had to pay for the key blank. I didn't have to pay for shipping, cutting, or programming. That's a heck of a deal compared to what the dealership would've charged!

Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 PM
carey965
Freshman User
this looks interesting, how do i fid out if i have the pats system? i have an 06 xlt with the keyless entry, dies that mean i have it or so i still have to look it up in the vin or however

i have a cruze with the flip key and would love to have one for my truck

Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 PM
1969furd
Senior User
you have PATS

Old 12-14-2012, 10:37 AM
HoutxF150
Freshman User
I have a question.

last weekend someone accidently grabbed my bag at the gym with my truck keys in it. I have a 05 F150 with the PATS. Needing to get into my truck I had it towed to a dealership and new keys made. I was fearful that the person stole my bag and would come back and get intomy truck.

My truck has an autopage alarm with remote start. For Fords the installer had to use my spare key and put it into the remote start module. Since I had new keys made the remote starts doesn't work any more. On Tuesday the person retuned my bag so I have my old key back. In accordance to the write up can I reprogram the old key so my remote start will work and have the new keys as back ups still programmed to the truck?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Hoosh
New User
Originally Posted by HoutxF150
In accordance to the write up can I reprogram the old key so my remote start will work and have the new keys as back ups still programmed to the truck?
My understanding is that all your keys should be able to be programmed. It sounds like they already are. I know with the fobs you have to program them all at once, or the ones you don't have with you won't work anymore, but for the keys I believe if they are already programmed they should still work for starting your truck. This is of course easy to verify.

As for your remote start fob I'm not sure. Does it have the same buttons on it that your OEM Ford fob has? Lock, Unlock, & Panic? If so, maybe it can be programmed just like the Ford fobs. Just make sure you have all fobs with you when you start the programming and use each of them in the process. If it's different, then you may need to remove it from the remote start fob, put it back in the original fob, program it (along with the others), and then put it back in the remote start fob. Again, this should be pretty easy to verify. The process for programming both the keys and the fobs is very quick and doesn't take much time at all.

After doing all this will your remote start still work? I have no idea. I don't know anything about those or how they work. Hope this helps!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:30 AM
curtk69
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tylus
The following will be covered:
1. PATS System
2. Purchase a PATS key for "Cheap"
3. Programming a PATS Key
4. Programming a Remote/Fob/Clicker
5. Programming the Door Keypad
6. Using a Fusion Key Instead
1. PATS System
PATS stands for "Passive Anti-Theft Security". It is Fords answer to car theft.

Inside each key, there is a little RFID chip. When properly programmed, your trucks PCM reads and recognizes the RFID inside the key.

Without the proper RFID signal, the ignition system WILL NOT WORK. Motor won't even turn over...basically makes the vehicle one big paperweight. This makes it alot harder to steal a late-model Ford.
2. Purchasing a PATS Key
You have 2 options here.
2a) Buy one from the Dealership. Can run $50+ quite easily
2b) eBay! I have bought many many PATS keys from $5-10 shipped over the years. They are plentiful.
3. Programming a PATS Key
There are 2 ways to program a PATS key.
3a) You have 2 PATS keys that already are programmed = FREEBIE!
3b) You only have 1 PATS key programmed = Costly
Unfortunately, you must visit the Dealership, or a properly equipped Locksmith. They will have to connect a special tool to the PCM and perform the key programming for you. Roughly costs $40-50 (1/2 hour labor) for this service.
4. Programming a Remote/Fob/Clicker
No requirements here.

Simply have all the clickers with you in the truck and go to town. Extremely easy. If you don't have a clicker, eBay is your friend as usual

5. Programming the Door Keypad
Again, super easy to perform...if you have the OEM Factory code. If not, you can visit the Dealership and drop some $$$...or look on the rear wall of the cab. There is a lock control module with the code printed on a white sticker. here is a link.
6. Using a Fusion Key
So if you are like me, the key + clicker can be somewhat cumbersome.

luckily, the Ford Fusion key/clicker will work with our trucks. It is a combo unit that uses the same key & clicker frequencies.

I love the one I have for my Expy & Mustang.

To use one, follow the seperate programming instructions above for the key and clicker. You have to program each portion induvidually.
As for purchasing one...eBay!!! Notice a trend?

These keys are not quite as cheap as a normal PATS key however. But the going rate seems to be about $30 roughly. To me, highly worth it.
You go from this:

To this:

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions, please ask.
can i go from one key fob and one pats key to this new combo device? if so that would be awesome.
i absolute hate big bulky key rings.

if this is possible, how do i warmup my vehicle in winters w/o fear of it getting stolen? just get a door only key and use that?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Hoosh
New User
Originally Posted by curtk69
can i go from one key fob and one pats key to this new combo device? if so that would be awesome.
i absolute hate big bulky key rings.
No. You need two already-working PATS keys in order to program another one. Get another PATS key programmed (i.e. from the dealer) and then you can program others on your own, including the all-in-one key/fob.

Originally Posted by curtk69
if this is possible, how do i warmup my vehicle in winters w/o fear of it getting stolen? just get a door only key and use that?
Get a remote starter, use a door-only key, or another fob.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:51 PM
cornballbub
Freshman User
Is a 01 F150 Lariat "pats"?

Is a 01 F150 Lariat "pats"? Mine has the chip and has the "S" on the key.

What years and models are PATS? Is there a listing?

Thanks

Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Hoosh
New User
Originally Posted by cornballbub
Is a 01 F150 Lariat "pats"? Mine has the chip and has the "S" on the key.

What years and models are PATS? Is there a listing?
PATS Key System Programming .: Articles

Old 01-16-2013, 03:39 PM
cornballbub
Freshman User
Sweet, I can do my Taurus too!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:08 AM
stuartbh
New User
Tylus, et alia:

Whilst the idea of using a Ford Fusion key on some other Ford vehicle seems interesting, may I inquire as to how you concluded the level of compatibility between vehicles?

a) How does one determine that a key blank from a Ford Fusion (or any other Ford vehicle) would or would not work on some other model Ford vehicle to physically turn the ignition cylinder?

b) How does one determine that a key blank from a Ford Fusion (or any other Ford vehicle) would or would not work on some other model Ford vehicle based on PATS compatibility?

c) How does one determine that a key blank that is inclusive of "clicker functionality" would be compatible with another Ford vehicle to unlock and lock the doors?

I know that these RFID devices work on different frequencies with ostensibly different modulations as well, what are the frequencies and modulations?

What are the specific technical specifications that differentiate one key from another when both are intended to be used on different Ford vehicles?

In my case my vehicle is 1999 Ford Explorer, and I'd like to have a single key that opens a door lock, turns the ignition cylinder, starts the engine and can pop the door locks too. But I also want to understand on a more intrinsic level the issues at play in determining such compatibility.

Thanks you in advance for you time and concern with regard to the instant matter.

Stuart

Old 02-06-2013, 02:06 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Stuart I'm currently at work and am unable to do the research to answer all your questions.
Tylus is currently serving our country at sea.
Actually he is under the surface of the sea.
I'll see if I can get the answers tonight.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:42 AM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I have a 2005 Excursion, will I be able to use the Fusion key as well as the Flip out Key?

Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
@ Stuart - I have no idea how to answer your questions. My info comes from informal testing of 2005+ vehicles, and testing with select 2001-2004 vehicles that the newer remotes will work with the older models, but the older remotes won't upconvert to the newer models. Somewhere in late 2004, or early 2005 Ford changed out the clickers. And then again in 2007 on select models.

@ Clint - yes the key and the clicker will work in your X. You might have to modify the plastic keyguard for the key to physically fit (see the X forum for a recent thread in January about this). The clicker will work 100%

Old 06-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Rose2010
New User
I have a 2008 F150. I bought the following key off eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ford-OEM-Genuine-Keyless-Entry-Remote-Fob-Uncut-Key-164-R7043-FREE-SHIP-/151049373884?vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=QMuqvFbkbhd%252BQMtKt1cj7St716M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
When I took it to the dealer to get programmed (I only had one key) they told me this key couldn't be programmed to my truck.

The eBay compatibility chart said it would work. Did the dealer said it wouldn't. Its that because that's what their manuals say? Or is this true? If I have it cut and program it myself, will it work? Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: PATS Thread - Program Your Own Keys & Other Useful PATS Info