1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Intergrated Brake Controller question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:55 AM
johnNcarolyn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everybody you answered my question. Other than the issue of manually locking the trailer brakes sitting still, I like everything else about the IBC. Not crazy about having to pay to put in a new controller but I would rather do that than put in an aftermarket unit.

Thanks for the help!

John

Old 01-13-2010, 09:03 AM
CAMPINGTOM
Senior User
The only reason I cared about being able to lock the brakes when stopped was so I could slide my 5th wheel hitch. I've since figured out how to do it without trailer brakes.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:03 AM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
the '04 did not have the iTBC, it was original for '05.

They system is used instead of a unit like the prodigy, and is fully integrated with other systems in the vehicle. The iTBC knows how hard you are pressing the brake pedal, the status of the ABS system, which gear you are in, how fast you are going, ...nearly everything.
Thanks for the information..

Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by rmosso1
Definitely TSB. As I said above. "TSB 18892"

Trying to find it is another story. I printed a copy filed with my 2005 papers.

As I recollect, easy to put in a new unit once you figure out what needs to be disconnected. Flat rate was one hour for tech.

To me, I would have paid to have it replaced for peace of mind.
I wish I could find it. I searched here, but the TSB listing is kind of a mess on this site.

For those with the early '05, it seems that replacing the module would correct the issue. The module is extremely easy to change, it just pulls out of the dash. I think FTE parts guy can probably get you a new one for around $300. That's obviously more than a Prodigy, but well worth it IMO to keep your truck original.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:36 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by johnNcarolyn
Thanks everybody you answered my question. Other than the issue of manually locking the trailer brakes sitting still, I like everything else about the IBC. Not crazy about having to pay to put in a new controller but I would rather do that than put in an aftermarket unit.

Thanks for the help!

John

This thread discusses the module part number, price, and where to purchase:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...tbc-fault.html

Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 AM
johnNcarolyn
New User
bpounds

Thanks-just what I needed. Contacting Ed now.

John

Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 AM
FSeybert
Mountain Pass
I have an early '05 with the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller as well, and had the same issue. The selling dealership refused to do anything about it. I found another dealership that basicly gave me their cost on a new, updated controller and I popped it in right there in their parking lot in less than 5 minutes. Now the ITBC works as it should, even at low speeds, cost me a little over $100. I wouldn't pay to have it installed, very simple.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:21 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by FSeybert
I have an early '05 with the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller as well, and had the same issue. The selling dealership refused to do anything about it. I found another dealership that basicly gave me their cost on a new, updated controller and I popped it in right there in their parking lot in less than 5 minutes. Now the ITBC works as it should, even at low speeds, cost me a little over $100. I wouldn't pay to have it installed, very simple.
Thanks for the confirmation that it is simply plug and play. It's good to hear it from someone who has actually done it.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 PM
OvalTrucker
New User
I have an 06 F250 with the factory brake controller in the dash.
Is this what you guys are calling the IBC?

I'm wondering if there is a way to calibrate the gain control.
At "10" it is applying the trailer brakes but the truck seems to be doing alot more of the stopping than the trailer. I would like to increase the gain some more.
I'm pulling a 8,000# 5th wheel and a 2,000# pontoon boat combination.

In my last pickup I had an aftermarket brake controller mounted under the dash and it seemed to apply more trailer brakes than the unit in my Ford.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 PM
redford
Received 1,595 Likes on 933 Posts
Originally Posted by OvalTrucker
I have an 06 F250 with the factory brake controller in the dash.
Is this what you guys are calling the IBC?

I'm wondering if there is a way to calibrate the gain control.
At "10" it is applying the trailer brakes but the truck seems to be doing alot more of the stopping than the trailer. I would like to increase the gain some more.
I'm pulling a 8,000# 5th wheel and a 2,000# pontoon boat combination.

In my last pickup I had an aftermarket brake controller mounted under the dash and it seemed to apply more trailer brakes than the unit in my Ford.
Yes, the factory trailer brake controller is what we are discussing.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that the iTBC was never designed for tow multiple trailers. This isn't done very often.

You may be able to improve performance by cleaning all of the electrical connections (including the trailer frame grounds) but in the end you might have to go with an aftermarket controller to get the brake performance you want.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:47 PM
OvalTrucker
New User
I don't always pull the second trailer and it doesn't have brakes anyway.

I've experienced the poor braking effectiveness hauling just the 5th wheel.
It's not that the IBC doesn't work, not that at all. It actually works fine if I manually apply the trailer brakes.
I'm looking to increase the "responsiveness' of the IBC. That is to say, the IBC should start applying the trailer brakes before the truck brakes.
As it is the truck starts stopping before the trailer. In my professional opinion, that is backwards.
As a professional truck driver I feel I do have a professional opinion here.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by OvalTrucker
I don't always pull the second trailer and it doesn't have brakes anyway.

I've experienced the poor braking effectiveness hauling just the 5th wheel.
It's not that the IBC doesn't work, not that at all. It actually works fine if I manually apply the trailer brakes.
I'm looking to increase the "responsiveness' of the IBC. That is to say, the IBC should start applying the trailer brakes before the truck brakes.
As it is the truck starts stopping before the trailer. In my professional opinion, that is backwards.
As a professional truck driver I feel I do have a professional opinion here.
I understand what you're saying. In simple terms, you would like a gain setting of 15, but the unit only goes up to 10. Is there a way to increase the gain upper limit? I don't know.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:28 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
ovaltrucker:

As info. It is only a rheostat switch so to speak. 1 is maybe one volt and all the way up. I am no electrician, but remember, they are electric brakes.

Here is my point. AT 10 you are putting out all that is available,whatever that number may be.

You can take your truck to a FORD garage. They have a plug that will fit and you can measure the voltage you are putting out.

My bet is that you need some brake lining on your trailer.

This is my third super duty with the TBC, and I still have a spare controller from my 2001. I have talked to a lot of guys and we all swear by our brake system.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:33 PM
OvalTrucker
New User
Thanks for the responses gentlemen.

rmosso1, My 5th wheel is brand new. So I can eliminate the bad brakes issue and I've had the same experience with my older camper that was heavier.

I'll probably mess with it a little myself to see if I can improve the performance.
Worst case scenario, I'll wreck it and end up with an aftermarket brake controller anyway.

It does work, just not proportionally with the truck brake pedal, in my opinion.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:56 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Being brand new is probably your problem... Just like your big rigs these brakes need adjusting after they have been used a few miles and the linings have finally set to the drums.. Some set in more than others.. That would be a good place to check..JMO......

Quick Reply: 05 Intergrated Brake Controller question