Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Valve Body benifits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:44 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valve Body benifits?

I am just going to throw it out there. Why do I want to put a valve body in my trans or a sonnax valve?

Old 01-09-2010, 01:13 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
The Sonnax valve would be to clean up shifting irregularities caused by modulator valve bore wear. Google " Sonnax # 96948-01K " These alone can be had for under $20 at transmission supply houses. See: http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-09694801k.htm

Also adding some springs behind the accumulator pistons will firm up the shifts. These kits (valve and springs) are available from some FTE sponsors, cost under $50, and simple to install. I added it to mine about five years ago, and am still quite happy with the performance of the shifts.
See: http://www.diperformancetransmission...sovatrkit.html
or
http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...-kit-p-85.html

An aftermarket valve body does the same thing for you, and probably more, and offers the convenience of not having to do anything but bolt it in place. Some of the "kits" get even more exotic, requiring removal of the trans to fully install, but would be worthwhile to incorporate as part of a trans rebuild. I suspect the Sonnax part is usually part of these kits.

Pop

Old 01-09-2010, 01:31 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
The Sonnax valve would be to clean up shifting irregularities caused by modulator valve bore wear. Google " Sonnax # 96948-01K " These alone can be had for under $20 at transmission supply houses. See: E4OD AX4N 4R100 4F50N Transmission valve & sleeve kit Sonnax 96948-01K

Also adding some springs behind the accumulator pistons will firm up the shifts. These parts are available as a kit from some FTE sponsors, cost under $50, and simple to install. I added it to mine about five years ago, and am still quite happy with the performance of the shifts.
See: 4R100 Sonnax Valve Tricumulator kit
or
Sonnax Valve 4R100/E4OD Ford Powerstroke Shift Improvement Kit

An aftermarket valve body does the same thing for you, and probably more, and offers the convenience of not having to do anything but bolt it in place. Some of the "kits" get even more exotic, requiring removal of the trans to fully install, but would be worthwhile to incorporate as part of a trans rebuild. I suspect the Sonnax part is usually part of these kits.

Pop
gotcha but what does that translate to real work driving seat of the pant feel? How is it going to help me tow ect?

Old 01-09-2010, 01:48 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I dunno'. Everybody's pants-seats feel different, but here's what I wrote back in October of 2005, after I had the kit installed for about a year:

"The tricumulator springs (triple accumulator) are what determines the hydraulic pressures applied to the clutch packs, and thus the firmness of their application. Increasing the spring pressures, by adding a second spring to each section of the pressure regulators, increases the hydraulic pressures that are applied.

"Doing this mod will not allow any more horsepower to be handled by the transmission, as the weakest part will still break when overpowered, but you will have less clutch slippage when shifting, thus less wear and heat developed on the clutch materials.

"It's a mod that will make it feel like a truck transmission, but should not make it neck-snapping by any means. In other words, SWMBO will still be quite happy."

It's still true today.

Pop

Old 01-09-2010, 01:52 PM
LS1_SE7EN
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's going to help you keep a working transmission in the truck.

More precise shifting and less time spent changing gears reduces wear and heat. It also reduces the chance of ruining your transmission because of those things. Of course it doesn't guarantee it will hold up, just have a better chance at survival.

That's my take on it. I'm pretty sure that sums it up correctly. Someone can chime in if I've made a false assumption, etc.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:59 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marv and Shawn have it right, but I will make it three! Just do it when you get the chip. I would do it without the chip if I were towing a lot. If I were you I would check out the BTS version bc you are WAY closer to him than John Woods. I think you have to tell BTS if you have a tuner or not and that will change what VB you get. This would also change your timing of purchase. ie one at a time or both together I may be wrong on the BTS bc I haven't really been in the loop for a year or more.