6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Considering a 6.0 and a few questions in general. << own a 7.3 now

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:07 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be pissed then, I really could care less about how you and your feelings are when it comes to your truck; and no I don't think your response is above what it should be. Frankly your response is comical. Thanks for the laugh

Old 01-10-2010, 08:10 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by guthrie&co
Be pissed then I really could care less about how you and your feeling are when if comes to your truck
You didn't pay attention to my post. Oh well.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:26 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While you MIGHT be an educated man, Mr guthrie, my common sense devours you. You came here asking for help that you generously received from several upstanding members who know the 6.0 pretty well. I would certainly have welcomed any of their advice, you chose to do otherwise and thats fine. I am done trying to help you, and with this thread. I will try to focus on some others that I might be able to help. I sincerely wish you good luck with whatever decision you make.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:42 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,466 Likes on 908 Posts
Be pissed then, I really could care less about how you and your feelings are when it comes to your truck; and no I don't think your response is above what it should be. Frankly your response is comical. Thanks for the laugh
Interesting response after receiving some sincere solid advice. My advice is sincere too and that is to stay away from any 6.0 and I mean any. No matter how few miles, and how great the price stay away. This isn't the engine for you.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:21 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
This isn't the engine for you.
Why, because I would run 15w40 in it? Do all the other posters have to put up with this stupidity if you find out they are running 15w40? How does running that oil reflect my mechanical abilities?
By the way, most of the advise was tried and true and I appreciated it. Where I took issue was with the oil issue. If you guys can show me with definitive proof that running 15w40 oil in a 6r is so bad to the point I should be chastised from ever buying one, I will concede and apologize. I just don't see how it really makes that much of a difference When the oil samples on my truck at 255k show perfect wear and the lab and I both decided that I would not see any benefit from switching. How and why is the 6.0 so much different?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:46 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Why, because I would run 15w40 in it? Do all the other posters have to put up with this stupidity if you find out they are running 15w40?
You don't get it. It's not in of the fact of what crappin oil you run, the issue is that you asked for help, said that you didn't know much about then engine and when we give you advice of something better that doesn't fall into what little you do know(or think you know), you dismiss without a second thought. That's the issue.

I didn't say dino oil was bad, I said synthetic oil is better and it's better in ways that you can't see in an oil analysis alone. There are quite a few of people that have had better oil analysis from synthetic oils then regular dino oils as well.

Synthetics are known to be able to stand more extreme operating temps, tell me, do you know what the average operating temp is for the major engine vitals? Particularly that of EO? Do you actually know if what operating conditions that you are going to be running your truck and what is sufficient for that 6.0 truck with what little you do know(according to your own admission)?

How does running that oil reflect my mechanical abilities?
No, what reflects your mechanical abilities is that fact that you said that you didn't know alot about the engine. That is what reflects your know how with this engine specifically.

By the way, most of the advise was tried and true and I appreciated it. Where I took issue was with the oil issue.
Running synthetic has been known to show the benefits that we have told you about. Something that you really can't notice alot of a trend in an oil analysis. It is tried and true and there are alot of people that have various test results to show it as well. People that know more about this engine then you do(based on your own admission of not knowing alot about this engine).

Old 01-10-2010, 11:59 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tex25025
Synthetics are known to be able to stand more extreme operating temps, tell me, do you know what the average operating temp is for the major engine vitals? Particularly that of EO? Do you actually know if what operating conditions that you are going to be running your truck and what is sufficient for that 6.0 truck with what little you do know(according to your own admission)?
NO and I really don't care. how is knowing that, critical to the purchase of a truck? Completely not the first or last thought I had when I consider buying a truck for the business.
Forget it I am done. how is it the rest of the world can live with their 6r's without knowing this tidbit of wasted mental space? this thread got stupid. I am sure all of you guys are great guys but I fail to see the point of this thread anymore. All needed to know was how much the maintenance was going to cost me and the mileage.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Look no one is telling you that you have to run snythic. Sure lots of people run Dino 15w40 and never have a problem. I did for 100k miles and then my injectors starting sticking. I switched to the 5w40 synthic and the truck ran 10 x better. It cured most of my sticktion problem. never looked back since. Using synthic is more of a preventive measure if you don't want to use it then don't. But the only thing you keep bringing up is oil samples that is not a factor in running it or not. We are just trying to suggest to you what would be good preventive maintance. There realy is not much price difference in the two oils IMHO. The price of 8 injectors and my truck being down out weighs it so for me I don't take any chances. It's that simple man really.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:34 AM
PorchFarms
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now for my .02. The best way to describe these two engines is like this. The 7.3 is like a street walker you can use her any way you want and she didnt care. The 6.0 is like a high maint. wife. She needs all the attention and is very picky about what you give her. Ex. Filters and oil. I learned all this pretty much by my ignorance by not listening to these guys on here. If any of these guys tell you something it is gold. A man who definatly knows his engine is tex. Just look at his sig. The only thing that i have not done that they suggested is go to synth. Oil. I still use rotella dino oil. I have just started having stiction problems and WILL be swapping to the synth. Rotella next oil change. So just bad talk all these guys all you want and when you come on here with a problem dont be suprised if noone responds. P.s. USE FORD FILTERS. Dont skimp there like i USED to do.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
NO and I really don't care. how is knowing that, critical to the purchase of a truck? Completely not the first or last thought I had when I consider buying a truck for the business.
Are you that thick? The more you know, the least it'll cost you during the lifetime of that truck, both in terms of downtime and actual physical costs.

You are coming from a background in the 7.3, you treat that engine differently then you do this one. There are alot of people here that know better about that you do. What's going to happen is that you are going to run into some problems and due to your flippently disregard for people that have years of knowledge on how to make a truck that has it's design flaws and still make it dependable even with having those design flaws, how many people do you think will help you as readily as they have now? Most people will tell you, I for one have a very long memory and I don't let go easily.

Worrying about just the purchase of the truck is incredibly shortsighted of you. Purchase is the easiest of it all. Keeping it in good working order is entirely different.

how is it the rest of the world can live with their 6r's without knowing this tidbit of wasted mental space? this thread got stupid.

They are at the mercy of their dealership and the techs there. That is hit or miss when it comes to success rate with the 6.0. Oh by the way, you don't know exactly how the rest of the world lives with their 6.0, they may not be living all that well with it. Point is, you know how well we live with it and you know part of why that is, but instead, it goes against your thinking so you speculate on the rest of the world. Not very logical. Also, you have to remember that the bad feeling towards the 6.0 is more prominate then the good feeling towards it(another difference between it and the 7.3), if you were to go off of that(given that you admitted not to knowing much about the engine itself) and speculate how the rest of the world lives with their 6.0(assuming that they don't do what we are suggesting, which would be the only way speculating would help yu in this case) I wouldn't think to good given the prevailing sentiment towards it.

I am sure all of you guys are great guys but I fail to see the point of this thread anymore. All needed to know was how much the maintenance was going to cost me and the mileage.
Actually this still goes with your cost parameters for this thread. Your only factoring in costs in terms of money, there are other types of costs as well.

As to EOT and the other readings as well(ECT, and TFT etc), those also factor in moreso with the 6.0 then it does with the 7.3. Alot of design flaws that are in the 6.0 can be mitigated with one knowing what those readings should be and what readings your truck is actually giving. But hey, you didn't want to know that, you are only concerned with the one time issue of purchasing the truck, so why am I wasting my time, be giving you all this information that would make you a better informed buyer and if you really want to deal with the 6.0 and all the costs that go into it. I know exactly how I live with my 6.0, I don't care to speculate how the rest of the world lives with it.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I just got my 05 ex with a 6.0 58k, & like ur advice about the oil, @ what temp can i stop using the block heater? do you guys us additives or blended fuel? Thank you.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:51 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It don't get cold enough here in tx to use a block heater but iwould use it anything below like 15 or so. Don't need any additives in the oil, but alot of user use fuel additives in every tank (including me). What kind you use is really just personal preference but most use diesel kleen, power service, 2 stroke oil, or ford centain boost. There are a lot of them but that is what I see most user on here use. I use diesel kleen my self.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:56 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,466 Likes on 908 Posts
I didn't say dino oil was bad, I said synthetic oil is better and it's better in ways that you can't see in an oil analysis alone. There are quite a few of people that have had better oil analysis from synthetic oils then regular dino oils as well.

Careful Tex about this statement... Matter of fact there's a member here (not going to say names since it's irrelevent) that has high iron content while using synthetic oil. As a matter of fact I've looked at many UOA from the 6.0 with conventional vs synthetic and can't tell a difference. I've seen samples were both produced faily decent results and some not so good.

Bottom line is the recomendation to use synthetic oil to this guy is nothing wrong and synthetics deffinitely help with stiction problems if and when they occurr.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:17 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Careful Tex about this statement... Matter of fact there's a member here (not going to say names since it's irrelevent) that has high iron content while using synthetic oil. As a matter of fact I've looked at many UOA from the 6.0 with conventional vs synthetic and can't tell a difference. I've seen samples were both produced faily decent results and some not so good.

There is only one guy that I know of that is running synthetic with a relatively high iron content. I believe that his synthetic of choice was BD, is that the same person that you are thinking of?

Old 01-11-2010, 06:21 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
it got in to single digits here in NY and the truck starts up first shot without smoke and my block heater cord is still on my shelf. LOL( BTW did i say truck is sitting for days at the time outside ?)

Quick Reply: Considering a 6.0 and a few questions in general. << own a 7.3 now