Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.8L oil.....what do you run??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:26 AM
azex2001
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the day, I was looking for a filter that had more capacity (2 qt.) than the 820S. I found one in the Wix catalog however the micron rating was not the same so I didn't use it for fear of allowing too large of particles to pass through the filter. So be careful of which filter you use. I don't have access to a catalog to look up the micron rating, but I'll see if I can find it on line. Also, Wix used to be the manufacturer for NAPA filters. I don't know if they still are or not. I've not been in the parts biz for a while, but Wix was a very good product. We used to cut open all kinds of oil filters and the Wix, Purolator and Fram (top line) were very good quality and consrtuction.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:17 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was leery about the light oil too because years ago it was all heavier but if Ford recommends it i'm sure they are not going to give you a bum steer. (did that originate from an animal or steering wheel?)

Not that I ALWAYS depend on Ford.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:20 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Skullonarm
I just changed oil and filter today. I put on a wix filter and motorcraft 5-20 semi synthetic. I had the ford oil for awhile, so I used it. I have been running 5-30 mobil 1 because the Costco up here only carries the 5-30. I used 1/4 quart of Mobil 1 in 3000 miles. I will go back to mobile 1 next oil change. The motorcraft oil was free so I couldn't resit. No switching back and forth from full to semi synthetic wont harm your motor. I've done it for years. The Big blue whale (Ex) doesn't mind it at all. No leaks and 105,705 on the clock.
Yep, you can mix it, switch it, whatever.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Skullonarm
Senior User
Originally Posted by azex2001
Back in the day, I was looking for a filter that had more capacity (2 qt.) than the 820S. I found one in the Wix catalog however the micron rating was not the same so I didn't use it for fear of allowing too large of particles to pass through the filter. So be careful of which filter you use. I don't have access to a catalog to look up the micron rating, but I'll see if I can find it on line. Also, Wix used to be the manufacturer for NAPA filters. I don't know if they still are or not. I've not been in the parts biz for a while, but Wix was a very good product. We used to cut open all kinds of oil filters and the Wix, Purolator and Fram (top line) were very good quality and consrtuction.

No worries. I've used the wix filter a few times in the X. Not a problem. I would prefer to use the Motorcraft filter, but I won't deal with the Ford parts dept here. None of the parts houses carry them. I buy them from ford at Fortuna Ford, and get my brothers discount. Sometimes though I just want to git-r-done, so I don't drive the 26 miles to get the recommended filter. I promise though I will treat the Big X with a genuine Motorcraft oil filter next time around. After all she's been a good ole gal.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM
bigal6030
New User
love the picture can you email it to me? alarreguin@yahoo.com The picture of your excursion pulling that awsome boat.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:06 PM
bigal6030
New User
I use 5-30 still use (not burn) 1 qt per 1000 miles

Old 01-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bigal6030
I use 5-30 still use (not burn) 1 qt per 1000 miles

If it doesn't burn then it is either leaking or evaporating. Mobil 1 will evaporate more readily than MC & conventional oil will.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:36 AM
05ExcursionatorCA
Junior User
I stick with what the all knowing Ford book says and use the Motorcraft stuff, I like how it ends up being cheaper than using a Fram + other oil at Wal Mart. Im glad that Wal Mart has this stuff made just for us.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:18 AM
myblkex
Senior User
I use motorcraft filter ( only $5 at my local autoparts store ) and Mobil1 Synthetic 5w20. I used to use 5w30 and switched to 5w20 this past weekend. Honestly it looks like I am getting about .8 mpg better than the 5w30 - not sure if it's just coincidental or not - but I am.

I also seemed to be going through a quart every 2000 miles or so. Didn't know mobil1 has a higher tendency to evaporate. Maybe next time I'll give the motorcraft synth a shot and see...

Old 01-16-2010, 07:10 PM
msuforeman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mobil One 5w-20 and MC 820s here. I use Mobil One in all gas engines that I own without any oil related problems in the last 21 years.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:23 AM
shadows4
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, stupid question here. I have been using the Walmart house brand oil 5w-20 and a Walmart oil filter. Why is this wrong? Truck uses about 1 quart per 3,000 miles.

I know I'm cheap!!!

Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 AM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by myblkex
Didn't know mobil1 has a higher tendency to evaporate. .
I use about double the oil when using Mobile 1 compared to the Motorcraft oil. It was almost 3 quarts for a 5,000 mile interval. That stuff is too expensive for it to be disappearing like that so I switched back the the Motorcraft synthetic blend stuff.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Originally Posted by shadows4
Ok, stupid question here. I have been using the Walmart house brand oil 5w-20 and a Walmart oil filter. Why is this wrong? Truck uses about 1 quart per 3,000 miles.

I know I'm cheap!!!
WalMart oil may be recycled oil. Not a big deal as oil last indefinitely. However, it most likely doesn't have the additive package for anti-wear and anti-acid protection that key name brand oils have. Oil usage between changes may have been increased due to the absence of these key additives.

However, it's not uncommon to hear about ANY engine using a quart in 3K.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Skullonarm
Senior User
Originally Posted by Monsta
WalMart oil may be recycled oil. Not a big deal as oil last indefinitely. However, it most likely doesn't have the additive package for anti-wear and anti-acid protection that key name brand oils have. Oil usage between changes may have been increased due to the absence of these key additives.

However, it's not uncommon to hear about ANY engine using a quart in 3K.
Monsta, just to let you know, when I ran the fleet of vehicles, including small cars medium,large,small,1/2,3/4, and one ton trucks, plus a whole fleet of crown vic Police interceptors , and anything else that ran on gas I used, or should I say was mandated by the state to use recycled Union 76 firebird 10-30 oil. In all the years I worked there (Retired from all that crap now thank goodness) I never had a single engine oil related problem using the refined used oil. At first I said dang I wouldn't use that junk in my engines, but a friend of mine who is also a fleet mechanic, said Moe just think about it for a minute. If you burned up a motor using that firebird refined oil, don't you think that plenty of people who had this problem oil related failures) would all point their fingers to that oil, and try to make a point to the company, and say the oil was no good and caused the problem? That oil has to be as good or better than new never used before stuff. It really was good oil. It meets or exceeds all manufactures Warranty spes as far as I no. I didn't like the idea of putting 10-30 in a engine such as Fords and most other makes anymore the call for 5w-20, but it worked. Believe me those baby cops at the academy thrashed those poor Crown Vics to no end, evidence I always pulled from the computer of the car with my scanner told the truth, multiple rev limit exceeded. Just wanted to let everyone know what my experiance was with this stuff.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

What was change interval? I've always said a good change interval is more important than brand.

Quick Reply: 6.8L oil.....what do you run??