1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

66 F250 Camper Special--Original, Low Miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:17 PM
sbfishman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
66 F250 Camper Special--Original, Low Miles

What should I do? I found a 66 with 8,000 original miles, great shape and complete. My original plan was to buy a 66 and slowly fix it up while using it for a work truck. I am now reconsidering the work truck idea, would it be a "sin" to use an original truck with such low mileage as a work truck or should it be restored from the ground up?

Here is the story (sorry for the length of the post):

Found the truck on the internet and travelled from Central Oregon to Idaho to pick it up. Bought from the second owner who put 3,000 miles on it since 2005. He said his neighbor bought it new and only used it to tow a compressor around his wheat farm and put only 5,000 miles on it. The story goes that the original owner was nearing the end of his farming career and after about 10 years of light use parked it in the barn where it sat for 30 years. This story seemed difficult to believe; I figured the odometer probably rolled over at least once if not twice.

I drove it 150 miles to my Christmas destination and had the differential serviced, new shocks and fuel pump and a couple of other small items. I didn't tell the shop about the supposed mileage. The mechanic called me and said he was puzzled that the differential appeared new, zero wear or play, the gearbox was tight, steering tight, etc. The mechanic said that his opinion is that the truck does indeed have only 8,000 original miles, he said there was no doubt about it.

The interior is in great shape, complete. Exterior is straight, no dents, no dents inside the bed, complete trim. The only issue I have found so far is rust on the hood and top of the cab and a small tear in the tailgate.

Have (not on the truck) the original split rims and hubcaps and title from 1966.

I drove the truck 500+ miles home and it drives and rides better than the 66 I drove in the 80s. Did not burn or leak any oil on the trip, highway mileage was 11-13ish depending on the hills.

Help me out guys, what should I do with this truck? I will add some better pics tomorrow.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:54 PM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For now drive it (not to much), and see how you feel about it in a year. If you make improvements make the ones that can be easily reversed, like a sterio hanging under the dash or power brakes and power steering, maybe intermittant wipers. After a while you will realize what you want to do. IMHO!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello and Welcome to FTE! thats a very nice truck! painted gas cap and all. I use my 66 everyday for work with no problems, Drive it and enjoy it for a while, keep it on the road while you fix it up. a few more miles will not hurt it at all.... it's not even broke in yet!

Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 AM
sbfishman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by William
If you make improvements make the ones that can be easily reversed, like a sterio hanging under the dash....

Stereo. That brings back a memory from 1984 when I was 16. My dad had a 66 CS just like mine, same color, only difference is his had the inline 300 and I have a 352. I thought I would surprise my dad with an upgrade to his old truck. I bought a nice stereo/tape unit and speakers and spent the afternoon ripping out his useless (or so I thought) AM radio, taking a sawsall to the door panels for the speakers, and installing the new unit. I was very proud of my work and couldn't wait to show dad.

He was not thrilled to say the least, it was probably a good thing I could outrun him. I now understand what he was feeling. If I do a stereo upgrade I will be sure it can be reversed to the original leaving no trace of any alteration! I think the original interior is very cool. My 11 year old son asked me what all the funny numbers on the radio were for, I tried to explain to him that we have AM in our other cars but I don't think it interested him much. Made me laugh.

I showed dad the truck and it brought back a lot of good memories. His first comment was "nice radio." He says he has forgiven me but I am not sure.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:22 AM
sbfishman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Bill W
Hello and Welcome to FTE! thats a very nice truck! painted gas cap and all. I use my 66 everyday for work with no problems, Drive it and enjoy it for a while, keep it on the road while you fix it up. a few more miles will not hurt it at all.... it's not even broke in yet!
Thanks Bill. I can't wait to get it out on the road again. Had a snow shower come through today and it has 6" of snow on it, I think I will wait until the roads clear before I take it out for a drive. I'll put some pics of the interior up tomorrow, more exterior pics will have to wait until the snow melts.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:56 AM
IsoGrifo
Elder User
I think you should give it to me as a late christmas present! haha

Old 12-30-2009, 04:02 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
I agree with William, drive it a while, get to know it, then decide.

John