Timing light? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Timing light?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Royson12
Posting Guru
Royson12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Timing light?

I have been looking for a timing light for my 6.9. I was told i need one with a luminocity probe? Any body know where I can get one of these? I bought a compression tester for my truck, I want a timing light now, any ideas would be helpful. Thankks

Old 12-29-2009, 10:54 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.
Snap on, mac, matco.etc should all be able to fix you up. There is also a line of ford specialty tools called something like rotunda that are probably the best ones.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:23 PM
77F250Diesel
Senior User
77F250Diesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
You can pick up the Ferret 765 timing adapter (shop around, abt. $160)
Ferret 765 Diesel Timing Adapter and a advance style timing lite (Summit has a nice one for abt. $50) and you'll be all set for timing your truck.

Dennis

Old 12-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend
Dave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to behold
Lists 256 as the price on the website.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:14 PM
gnathv
Junior User
gnathv is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ferret Instruments V765-01 Injector Tester - Fuel System Tools

This was the best price I found to buy one.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 AM
KJLYPW
Posting Guru
KJLYPW is starting off with a positive reputation.
A couple of Kent-Moore tach-n-time units on e-bay. May need to get the right size pulse adapter seperately, but a very good deal on the basic units. I bought mine on e-bay , is a model J-33300-A, had everything needed to set timing with a 1/4" pulse sensor, which will work well instead of a luminocity probe, just set timing for pulse (8* BTC) rather than the flash (?1*? ATDC).

Old 12-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Royson12
Posting Guru
Thanks fellas, I'll check those out.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend
Dave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to behold
One thing to consider, the 6.9 engines did not have the pulse adapter since that timing method used the luminosity probe.

But setting the timing by that method was rather involved, fuel cetane value had to be determined and entered into the timing equation.

The original post insturment from Ferret looks like it don't even need the pulse adapter, it clamps right on the line.
So then you could just use the 7.3 timing method and numbers on the 6.9 engine.

Still a pricey tool for no more times than you will use it.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Royson12
Posting Guru
Worth the 179.00 to me for piece of mind on my timing and performance of my engine. Plus, I'm considering buying another one of these old gems. I can't bring myself to stroke it. I like the good ole fashion diesels. I tried the timing by ear deal, but I don't trust my ear. I probably worry too much. Beside one man can never have enough tools for the Job!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:56 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
yeah,but how many times do you need to adjust the timing? once hopefully.
it can't be much to just have it timed at the shop can it?
if its not much,(around $50 or under) i was thinking of having it checked.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:53 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.
You might find that you spent 200 bucks driving around trying to find a shop that has the capabilities and knowledge to time one.
That is the great thing about this forum in a couple of hours you can be as up to date on these setups as most shops. Not saying that the shop can't get up to date pretty quick if they want to but you are paying to school them.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:00 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT View Post
yeah,but how many times do you need to adjust the timing? once hopefully.
it can't be much to just have it timed at the shop can it?
if its not much,(around $50 or under) i was thinking of having it checked.
I'd check it once a year. Alot of things wear and can effect timing plus anytime you replace items such as pump or injectors you have to re-time it. Especially nowadays with ultra low sulfar fuels.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:01 AM
ford trans tech
Elder User
ford trans tech is starting off with a positive reputation.
just be aware that the timing meters that use the pick up probe will not be acurate on many engines with old harmonic balancers due to the ring will have crawled on the center hub and is no longer correctly aligned to the crankshafts true position

Old 12-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Royson12
Posting Guru
only shop i found around here, wants $150.00 and wants to keep it all day. I can spend another 30 bucks and do it at my liesure. plus like somebody said, it doesnt hurt to check it from time to time. Twice pays for the tool easy.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:39 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Royson12 View Post
only shop i found around here, wants $150.00 and wants to keep it all day. I can spend another 30 bucks and do it at my liesure. plus like somebody said, it doesnt hurt to check it from time to time. Twice pays for the tool easy.
oh wow.that's nuts.no wounder you guys look into to just buying the light.only reasonable thing to do at that price of course.
thanks.

since we're on the subject of timing,i dont mean to take us to far off track for the tool discussion,but when your turn off a gas motor when its timing is off,you notice it chug before it dies.
i feel that,tho its not real bad,but the engine doesn't just quietly go to sleep,it gives about a 1/2 revolution of chug and shake to the truck.
this is the timing off correct?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing light?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.