1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

syncroid replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 09:05 AM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
syncroid replacement?

well the truck i deffeintly want to go pick up shortley, if not sold with in the week, has a 5spd but the only issue with the truck is that it is a bit of a pig to get into reverse he said, unless your rolling, so thats deffinetly syncroids to me, are they a pain to replace any special mahining or only a tranny shop can do? its doable while running form the sounds of it but i always leave manuals in reverse for parking anyhow so i wouldnt bump into the issue too too much. thanks guys

Old 12-24-2009, 09:50 AM
yoslick
Elder User
might be as simple as a clutch/slave cylinder rod adjustment... roids can be such a drag!! lol

Old 12-24-2009, 09:58 AM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
my transmission needs a new syncro set.... im just waiting for the summer so its warm to do it.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:02 AM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
Well its got a brand new clucth and cylinder that got slaped in it, and all the other gears are good so I'm fearing its a syncroid, uhg, but I'm stopping down there to look cvheck this rig out this Saturday or Sunday soo ill let you guys know

Old 12-24-2009, 02:59 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
It's a lot more likely the clutch pedal bushings or the one going to the master cylinder are worn out. It's super rare for synchros to go out on reverse. Even if a teenager was driving it. 2nd gear is another story. Mine were gone on 2nd when I got it and I haven't had time to rebuild it yet. The job really isn't that bad if you have a really big gear puller and bearing seperators to go on it. A big rosebud head on a torch helps a ton. I've rebuilt quite a few of these transmissions at work.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:12 PM
blue66tang95f150
More Turbo
Hmm, kinda strange reverse does it. Does reverse even have syncro's? My truck grinds about 50% of the time in second and third now. Few more weeks then I will rip it apart.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:49 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
he said it has done that since he has had the truck and the clutch was put in with the injectors a 1000 miles ago, soo... its been doing it for some time now soo.. it has got to be something other than the clutch. how much do zf5 trannys go for anyway? ill rip it out and slam another one in there, i dont care. i think its fun, RANCH, were do you live? wana rebuild it for me? hah

Old 12-24-2009, 08:20 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
I have seen rebuilts go for 1000 on ebay and junkyard ones for not much less. I would rather spend a little more for a rebuilt that the junkers but I would rather go to local shop than a deal with the shady ebayers. They seem to be there as far as trannys go.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:35 PM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
Just throw a ZF6 in it and call it a day. I will tell you again i think that they are much better than the ZF5's, they have a much shorter throw from the factory and reverse is very conviniently place to the left which i like a lot better. Im not positive on how they stand up to power but ive seen plenty of supder duties with gear boxes and they dont seem to have a problem putting down big numbers with a good clutch.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:45 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
well you find me a zf6 for my poor *** and ill go and buy it lol and ill go pick up a 30 rack and convince nate to let us back in and crank the tunes and call it a day.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:59 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rideracelivemx7
well you find me a zf6 for my poor *** and ill go and buy it lol and ill go pick up a 30 rack and convince nate to let us back in and crank the tunes and call it a day.
i wouldn't opt for a ZF6 in these trucks. they are nice trannys, but the swap would suck. differen't slave, clutch, pressure plate, crossmember, run lines for the tranny cooler, and i believe they are too tall for the factory floor pan as well.

i bet if you were to put the truck in 1st then reverse it would go in reverse from a stop. i have to do that in my truck and it has become a habit to always hit 1st then reverse to help it go in everytime. my ex girlfriend messed up my reverse by trying to go from 5th to reverse(yes she went from 5th, over to the center, then back over and tried to put it in reverse rather than 4th gear!!!) my truck has been this way for almost 3 years now and still works fine. don't wanna do the rebuilt yet b/c the syncros are A LOT of money and if your going to do them you might as well throw in a little more money for the shift forks and you will have to have seals anyways so there is a $1000 rebuild right there, but it will hold all the power your wallet can handle for awhile(if you aren't too hard on it and snap an input shaft in which case you can put in cryo'd shafts). see if the truck will go into reverse from a stop if you hit 1st then reverse. if it does it and will do it almost everytime you try it then i would run with it.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:09 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Or try what I do. Double clutch to reverse works for me every time.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Oversize
Laughing Gas
Mine has a bad reverse gear too evry other gear is fine. It shifts fine into what feels like reverse and then it pops out of gear. I end up double or triple clutching it til its hard to put into gear then itll stay there, I practically have to jam the gear to make it hang. If it goes in easy it just spits it out after you star moving a little bit, then hear it grinding like you dont know how to drive a clutch.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:44 AM
Red97350
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
That's funny, cause my 250 gasser is like that. When you put it in reverse, you have to make sure that the shift lever comes up a bit before you let out the clutch, if you don't it will just grind and pop out of gear. Just something that I'm used to.

Red

Old 12-25-2009, 10:30 AM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
i wouldn't opt for a ZF6 in these trucks. they are nice trannys, but the swap would suck. differen't slave, clutch, pressure plate, crossmember, run lines for the tranny cooler, and i believe they are too tall for the factory floor pan as well.
Ya but the swap is half the fun... And i love how much easier the ZF6 clutch is to use, it is much more user friendly in traffic. Now i dont know if an aftermarket clutch and pressure plate woul dmake the difference on a ZF5 because i have only driven my turd of a work tow truck so i cant give and honest comparison.

Quick Reply: syncroid replacement?