General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.
View Poll Results: How would any of you feel if the Olympic Games ever came to Detroit
Approve
14.29%
Disapprove
23.81%
Area feasible enough
0%
Area not feasible enough
66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Olympic Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Truck451
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Olympic Games

How would any of you feel if the Olympic Games ever came to Detroit or anywhere else in Michigan?

Old 12-21-2009, 03:25 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
I chose Not Feasible. I don't see how Detroit could afford to build up enough to properly host, and since most cities lose money when they host it would not be a good investment. I also don't think the IOC would award the games to such a questionably solvent venue.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Flying_Dutchman
Posting Guru
I agree, I would think the area is much to poor to afford such a large scale event. The 2010 winter games are in Vancouver/Whistler, and once we see our profits(or lack there of) Im doubting we can afford it.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:52 PM
websthes
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in a city with a lot of tourism, and having all these festivals (at taxpayer expense) really doesn't benefit me that much. Most of my business comes from students and professionals, the people who actually live here. And when our taxes are the highest in North America that's bad for me, because all my rich customers are moving away. That's the bottom line.

If you ask me, the Olympics are for suckers. Most of the time these events are a temporary shot in the arm for the hospitality industry. And a good excuse for city government to spend billions of dollars on things like airports and fancy downtowns, but usually these projects will enrich a very few, at the expense of the rest of us. If you own a downtown parking lot that's going to make way for a fancy hotel or convention centre then you'll make a lot of money. But 99.999% of us will just end up picking up the tab and dealing with the inconvenience of hosting an olympics while our own needs, things like new bridges, roads and public transportation go neglected and employers move out to greener pastures.

Detroit is a blue collar town. And there's lots of snow. It's never going to become a tourist Mecca. When I think Detroit I think scary black guys who made my truck in a place that I don't ever want to visit. Detroit doesn't need an Olympics or a Disneyland resort. What Detroit needs is something that will put American manufacturing back on top.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
if CHicago couldnt capture it, D-town doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell

Old 12-22-2009, 09:10 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Originally Posted by websthes
What Detroit needs is something that will put American manufacturing back on top.
cheap Chinese labor force and no gov regulations???

Old 12-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Truck451
Junior User
Originally Posted by websthes
I live in a city with a lot of tourism, and having all these festivals (at taxpayer expense) really doesn't benefit me that much. Most of my business comes from students and professionals, the people who actually live here. And when our taxes are the highest in North America that's bad for me, because all my rich customers are moving away. That's the bottom line.

If you ask me, the Olympics are for suckers. Most of the time these events are a temporary shot in the arm for the hospitality industry. And a good excuse for city government to spend billions of dollars on things like airports and fancy downtowns, but usually these projects will enrich a very few, at the expense of the rest of us. If you own a downtown parking lot that's going to make way for a fancy hotel or convention centre then you'll make a lot of money. But 99.999% of us will just end up picking up the tab and dealing with the inconvenience of hosting an olympics while our own needs, things like new bridges, roads and public transportation go neglected and employers move out to greener pastures.

Detroit is a blue collar town. And there's lots of snow. It's never going to become a tourist Mecca. When I think Detroit I think scary black guys who made my truck in a place that I don't ever want to visit. Detroit doesn't need an Olympics or a Disneyland resort. What Detroit needs is something that will put American manufacturing back on top.
At one time they did have a Disneyland Resort; Boblo Island. That's where the famous Boblo boat came in and transported people from the mainland to the "Disneyland Resort" on the island

Old 12-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Truck451
Junior User
I also feel that the Olympic Games in Detroit would have a similar effect to when they hosted the Super Bowl a few years ago.
I can also sense what sportscaster Jim McKay would say about if the Olympic Games were in Detroit if he were still alive.
He probably even wished that the Olympic Games came to Detroit instead of Mexico City during the 1968 Summer Olympic Games.
Detroit lost second place to Mexico City to host the 1968 Summer Olympic Games.
You should also hear the horror stories Jim McKay had about the 1968 Summer Olympic Games in Mexico City.
My father has similar horror stories about Mexico in the present.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Move the games back to its original home in Greece and leave it there. Find a permanent home for the winter games too. A lot of funds are wasted on temporary facilities that do not bring in much revenue afterward, usually disappointing initial receipts, and always the security/terrorism factor.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:26 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 685 Likes on 398 Posts
I like that idea Dave ^^^^^^All the bidding,politicking,and bouncing here and there does get a bit redundant or old

Old 12-27-2009, 05:43 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Old93junk
Move the games back to its original home in Greece and leave it there. Find a permanent home for the winter games too. A lot of funds are wasted on temporary facilities that do not bring in much revenue afterward, usually disappointing initial receipts, and always the security/terrorism factor.

Dave's response is absolutely great!!

The monies spent preparing to bring the 'games' to an area versus the influx of monies is not equal.

Take the summer games back to Greece.
Winter games. . . somewhere REALLY cold. Uhhhhhhhhh. . . Siberia????

New Olympic game. Surviving the cold.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:40 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,250 Likes on 821 Posts
I would like to have seen an option on the voting chart that said, "I don't care so long as it's not in my back yard".

I agree with everyone. The Olyimpics is a sham and only financially benefits a few and adversely affects all.

I'm just pi$$ed that womens softball has been removed from the summer games. I guess team USA is was too dominant for too long.

Tim

Old 12-27-2009, 12:04 PM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
Detroit is a place that needs to be bulldozed level and started over. Mismanagement and waste have destroyed that city. I don't like going to Detroit when I have to so I wouldn't go there for the games. Dave's idea is great and practical!! (You got a rep!!)

Old 12-27-2009, 12:21 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The olympics did benefit Calgary when they were here, I think Calgary should have gotten them again over Vancouver since all the infrustructure was already in place, would have save a pile of money and Calgary would have benefited again from the olympics.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Norway.............Somewhere in Norway would be a good permanent home for the winter games.

Quick Reply: Olympic Games