Massachusetts Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: donjamer

Commercial vs. Non-Com Registrations in MA

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:53 PM
satwood
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ehchvac
I was at the local dealer this morning they have a ton of f350's they cant unload because of the stupid mass reg laws.
Seems like everyone did, or is doing what I did, buying f250's and dumping f350's.
And now when they are ready to buy new, they are walking right past the f350's.
They still have 09's on the lot, oh well,... thanks massachusetts, buying one ton trucks was fun while it lasted.
When I was shopping for a new one, which I could not really afford, the dealer never mentioned the registration rules. Interesting. They must be afraid to volunteer it.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Hedgehog1
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
To the original poster, I just sold my dually and fifthwheel because of this. I wasn't using them enough to justify the cost and when the time comes to buy another camper, it will be a motorhome. Last year I put 2,000 miles on my dually. I don't have a loan on it but still paid $129 for inspection sticker, $260 for plates, $1200 for insurance and $400 for excise tax. So, not counting the cost of the vehicle, maintenance or fuel, it cost me almost $1 per mile. Thats rediculous.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:43 PM
VTX1800rider
Senior User
I found this line on the Mass.gov site.
Does a truck over 10,000 pounds GVW with a passenger plate that is used for personal use require a CMV inspection?
No
Some where there is a way to register a 10k truck as a passenger if they have this line in the site. Otherwise why would it be there. I've given up looking and will try to hang on to mine. I would like to see their definition of a passenger vehicle also. In this line here it states

(e) Any vehicle which has a vehicle weight, or curb weight, of more than six thousand pounds, as per the manufacturer's description of said vehicle, unless such vehicle is a sport
utility vehicle or passenger van, or a pickup truck or cargo van meeting the definition of private passenger vehicle; Where is it written on how a truck in question be defined as a passenger vehicle? I think it would help make an argument on why a guy pulling a camper, horse trailer or any non-profit truck be allowed to register passenger and save some money. Then again you can't get any more opposite then saving money AND living in this state.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:48 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by VTX1800rider
I found this line on the Mass.gov site.
Does a truck over 10,000 pounds GVW with a passenger plate that is used for personal use require a CMV inspection?
No
Some where there is a way to register a 10k truck as a passenger if they have this line in the site. Otherwise why would it be there. I've given up looking and will try to hang on to mine. I would like to see their definition of a passenger vehicle also. In this line here it states

(e) Any vehicle which has a vehicle weight, or curb weight, of more than six thousand pounds, as per the manufacturer's description of said vehicle, unless such vehicle is a sport
utility vehicle or passenger van, or a pickup truck or cargo van meeting the definition of private passenger vehicle; Where is it written on how a truck in question be defined as a passenger vehicle? I think it would help make an argument on why a guy pulling a camper, horse trailer or any non-profit truck be allowed to register passenger and save some money. Then again you can't get any more opposite then saving money AND living in this state.
im over 10k according to the sticker on my door (11,200Lbs) and im a single rear wheel and have not gotten a cmv inspection, I have been told by numerous inspection stations that I am good, as my truck is for personal use and I have pass. plates.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:50 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
What's really scary here is the variation in "gotta have's"... Seems there's no one to ask who really knows the law...

I needed my 350 (10,500, MA Farm plate)

I called the RMV and they told me I needed *none* of the safety equipment for the inspection - no triangles, no fire extinguisher, no chocks, nothing but the stuff the truck came with had to be there and working.

I had it inspected by a local dealer who does commercial inspections. Cost me around $70. They never asked for anything but the truck. And the $70...

Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 PM
44dwarf
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was at the local dealer this morning they have a ton of f350's they cant unload because of the stupid mass reg laws.
Seems like everyone did, or is doing what I did, buying f250's and dumping f350's.
And now when they are ready to buy new, they are walking right past the f350's.
They still have 09's on the lot, oh well,... thanks massachusetts, buying one ton trucks was fun while it lasted.
what dealer still has 09's i couldn't finda any..

Old 12-29-2009, 10:21 PM
ehchvac
Senior User
framingham ford

Old 12-29-2009, 11:42 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Portsmouth Ford in NH has some listed on their site.

Portsmouth Ford Lincoln Mercury. 1-603-433-1221 Portsmouth New Hampshire. Welcome!

Salem Ford Hyundai in Salem, NH has 2 on their site..

Ford dealer Salem Ford Hyundai located in Salem NH

Old 12-30-2009, 06:59 AM
ehchvac
Senior User
There are lots of newer used f350's around on the lots also

Old 12-30-2009, 10:02 AM
VTX1800rider
Senior User
Originally Posted by slowmans
im over 10k according to the sticker on my door (11,200Lbs) and im a single rear wheel and have not gotten a cmv inspection, I have been told by numerous inspection stations that I am good, as my truck is for personal use and I have pass. plates.
When I first went to have it inspected after buying it, that is where I was informed about the new law and the need of chock blocks. I guess putting it in park and the E brake can't do it but a set of $6 plastic mini blocks will. I went to another shop thinking this one was BS'ing me, scanned the truck and said the RMV said it needed a com inspection. They were not registered for it, so I went back to the first. From your post and Herdsman's to the ones who got raked over the coals shows the Mass RMV and the word confusion are synonymous.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Hedgehog1
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Three weeks ago I sold my fifthwheel camper and abated the registration fee. It asked for a reason on the abatement form so I wrote," sold vehicle due to high registration cost of tow vehicle." Today, my F350 dually sold and I just got back from the registry after turning in the commercial plates. The lady was the same one who waited on me three weeks ago. I told her that Gov. Patrick is making it very easy for me to decide to sell my toys. She informed me that business owners with commercial vehicles are coming in extremely pissed off about the jump in registration costs. Good luck to all those out there but from now on, my pickups will be under 10,000#GVW and have passenger plates.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:13 PM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
There are more qestions than answers on this. Like I said earlier about my two trucks that are commercially registered......here is what I have and what I paid:

2009 F350 SRW 10,600#
Commercial registration
$29 inspection fee with no CMV inspection.
$25 registration fee. Transferred from 1/2 ton in November 2009, bi-annual registration.

2003 F350 DRW dump body 11,000#
Commercial registration
$29 instection fee with triangles, first aid kit, chock, body alarm required.
$220 registration fee, annaul registration.

Both truck registered in Massachusetts. Inspections performed at Ford Dealership who sells a ton on F350, F450, F550, F650, F750's. I always told that I am legal with what I am doing.

Lots of questions but no solid answers.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:39 PM
44dwarf
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer still seem a bit confused on the weight over 10000lbs gets com plate thing....My insurance company say my new f350 must have com plates but since its for personal use it can go on my personal policy...

I decided to wait until Monday to pick up my truck no since in paying to a reg that would expire in a day...

Both the dealer and the insurance co waited on hold with the registry coordinator hot line and after 3 calls they got two over 10000 needs com plate and one call said no only DRW needs com plates....so it would seem even the reg people don't fully understand the new rules WTF.

Now where do i find the extra $$ to do the reg...

Old 12-31-2009, 05:54 PM
'08FX4
Senior User
Being from mass here we go,...
In mass any vehicle in excess of 10,000 lbs is now commercial, period.
I sold my f350 and bought an 10,000 f250 to get around it.
At 10,001 lbs it becomes, commercial.
Dual rear wheels regardless of weight, commercial.
So if you take off the duals and run single they get you on the weight rule.
Below the 10,000 lbs you can register a pickup as passenger, if, you dont have racks and boxes or are snowplowing, or are a business.
If you are a business and are over 10,000 lbs you need a health card.
They are now nailing guys with big trailers, for total combined weight, like landscapers, etc, because how many are carring the health card, none.
But as a counter point I own a 40 ft, 44,000 lb motorcoach, detroit diesel, air brakes, etc, and need no health card or special license other than to drive a passenger car.
that's not correct. When I bought my '08 used f-350, 11,400 GVW. I was getting conflicting information from friends and detail cops we use at work, and the dealer I bought the truck from. The dealer told me that they had to do the DOT type inspection for my sticker, and that I would need med card, chock blocks, signal triangles, etc.*

I went TO THE REGISTRY, and talked to 4 inspectors (the guys who used to be the registry police). They told me with no ands it's or buts, if it is single rear wheel, and you have a regular truck body on it (no utility bodies etc), you can register it with passenger plates, and you don't need any of that other crap, no med card.

I said to them, "Great, you know that, and now I have it confirmed for me, so how do I convince Colonial Ford Service Dept that I don't need that stuff. These inspectors are the same guys that are in charge of inspection stations and the one who was actually in charge of this dealer, stopped what he was doing for me and called them on the phone and spoke to the service amnager for me and cleared it up. I couldn't believe how nice they were in that office. *

I have a med card and a CDL A anyways for my job, but I didn't want to have to keep all that crap in my "little" truck too. Also technically, if you need a med card to drive it, and it's over 10,000 GVW you should be doing the inspection book (daily drive inspection)'s too

Old 12-31-2009, 06:01 PM
'08FX4
Senior User
No problem registering with passenger plates with my insurance company either

Quick Reply: Commercial vs. Non-Com Registrations in MA