donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Thanks John for keeping it alive..

Hopefully our senators have your vision

Old 03-03-2012, 09:06 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
You bet Don and thanks a million for helping me / us out with this one. There's a ton of great insight in this thread and I truly hope it works out for everyone in MA.

ALSO....just an FYI. I left a redirect on the thread so that anyone looking for it in the Super Duty forum will find it in case they aren't subscribed.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my current travel trailer has a gvw of 8k if I move up to one thats over 10K does that change anything with insurance or registration on my f250 with passenger plates ?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:07 PM
glennemay
Senior User
Originally Posted by gsxr1300
my current travel trailer has a gvw of 8k if I move up to one thats over 10K does that change anything with insurance or registration on my f250 with passenger plates ?
Travel trailers do not have a weight rating as far as I know. and no, it would not affect your truck registration as far as I can tell.

Yep, you guessed it, I am not sure but your trailer reg and your truck reg are different. so they should not be able to link the two.

G

Old 03-22-2012, 03:26 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
Thanks does insurance premiums change if you go over 10k with a travel trailer or 5th wheel?

Old 03-22-2012, 04:48 PM
satwood
Mountain Pass
Super singles

I may have come late to the party but has anyone had experience with putting super single rear rims and tires on a dually? It strikes me as an expensive but possible option to get around the "5 or more wheels on the ground" clause in the commercial registration regulations. I'm interested in the driveability and performanc with these types of wheels in any case.

Thanks
Steve

Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 AM
glennemay
Senior User
Originally Posted by satwood
I may have come late to the party but has anyone had experience with putting super single rear rims and tires on a dually? It strikes me as an expensive but possible option to get around the "5 or more wheels on the ground" clause in the commercial registration regulations. I'm interested in the driveability and performanc with these types of wheels in any case.

Thanks
Steve
Steve,

I have never seen super single rims for these trucks. Have you actually found them?

Thanks
G

Old 04-06-2012, 05:16 PM
satwood
Mountain Pass
Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 PM
glennemay
Senior User
Not only the reviews, but given the price I would have to think that the savings would be minimal at best and knowing taxachusetts, they will still hit us for commercial for the weight.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:42 PM
batchman
Mountain Pass
Wow what a find this thread is, tosses salt on my still open wound. Just bought an old diesel dually. Just wanted to be safe for interstate towing with an enclosed car trailer.

Little did I know the can I just opened. Luckily it only took two registry trips and six insurance company calls/emails/snailmails to get me on the road.

My datapoint - 1986 F350 crew cab long bed dually. 9200GVW on the door tag. Previous Mass reg was 9000. I now have commercial plates (ouch, but I'll take it for the towing), no increase in insurance, and I was able to get a sticker at my normal local $29 guy. He wasn't sure, thought he was OK given the GVW, and his litmus test was the scan of the registration (which went OK).

For the record I think my truck may have been converted to DRW. I just have no good way to tell.

I am looking forward to adding my voice to the choir here and will write my state rep/state senator to look for the proposed bill.

Now back to my other big problems...

Best regards,
- Jeff

Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 AM
fast_st
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Run your vin through the ford vin decoder, there is usually a code for drw, on 99 in was WW

Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 PM
batchman
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by fast_st
Run your vin through the ford vin decoder, there is usually a code for drw, on 99 in was WW
Wow that's interesting.

My truck decodes as body W35 where wiki explains W33 and skips to W36. The first 3 digits are 2FT which if I read right is a Canadian VIN? If the pattern on the wiki page (Ford/VIN Codes ) is consistent this used to be 4WD??!!??

Anyway the Ford decoder shows Wheels Axles Wheelbase as 336.0, I'm guessing there's some interesting math going on there or I'd better search-fu some more magic decoders!

Thanks/later,
- Jeff

Old 05-21-2012, 05:02 PM
satwood
Mountain Pass
Latest Update

I just received word that our bill S1772 has cleared the Transportation Committee and was referred to the Senate Ways and Means Committee who will now be examining the financial impact of letting us get rid of our commercial plates. This year's formal legislative session ends on July 31 for the year, so it could go either way in terms of getting to the Senate floor before the session ends.

Meanwhile, Senator Moore has filed the language of S1772 as an amendment to the state budget which, if included, could expedite the process of the language getting passed. This is similar to what the Senator tried to do during the Transportation Bond Bill debate, but alas it was rejected on the basis of being out of order.

The Senate is taking up the budget this week so this is the time to once again remind your legislators to support the bill as well as support the budget ammendment that accomplishes the same thing. It would be really nice if we could get this thing on it's way in 2012!

Thanks again for everyone's support.
Steve

Old 05-21-2012, 05:03 PM
satwood
Mountain Pass
By the way, if you want to know who your MA representatives are, click here: Legislative office contact information can be found at www.malegislature.gov

Old 06-21-2012, 10:03 AM
batchman
Mountain Pass
Finally got a response from my state Senator:

"Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Senate Bill 1772, An Act Clarifying the Definition of Commercial Motor Vehicles." (continues with some fluff)

"I wanted you to know that this bill is progressing through the legislative process: it was reported out of the Committee on Transportation and referred to the Senate Committee on Ways and Means. I will continue to follow this issue and keep you up to date as this legislation moves throughout the rest of the process. Additionally, I will keep your thoughts and opinions in mind if this legislation comes before the Senate for a vote. As your state senator, it is important to understand the viewpoint of constituents like you so that I can make better informed decisions in the Senate."

So while this sounds positive it is still in Ways and Means....

Later,
- Jeff

Quick Reply: Commercial vs. Non-Com Registrations in MA