6 speaker impedance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:09 PM
tomhinds
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 speaker impedance?

In a 2001 excursion there are 6 factory speakers all @ 4 ohm. What is the head unit reading if powering all 6? 1.3 ohm or 5.3. if rear door & rear speakers in parallel, then that is 2 ohm + 4 ohm front = 1.3 ohm. Or is it 3 4 ohm speakers in parallel = 5.3 ohm.

I have replaced front & rear door speakers with Bostons and noticed a large improvement. Currently I will use head unit to power them & have a JL W6 w/ JL 500.1 powering it.

My real question and what I am debating is whether to replace rear panel speakers w/ bostons or disconnect the stock, have only 4 speakers, and sent them more power.

Thanx in advance.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:23 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first guess is the fronts channels are each, and the rear four are paralleled into two channels (right/Left). I say disconnect the rear most speakers, unless you care how it sounds from the back most seat, you shouldn't hear much difference in the drivers seat without them.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:51 PM
tomhinds
New User
Thanx ReAX. I noted today that head unit at rated power has 1% THD. Ha! Sound is a lot better with new speaks & I have plenty of bass. To set it right will require an amp & nicer head unit.

Loved your truck. It has quite a pedigree. You will love moving to a 12" woof. I have a 12" W3 in a 1 cu.ft. sealed box w/ Orion HCCA 225 pushing half ohm = 400W in a Impala SS and the bass is intensely tight.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:56 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You probably knew me from the SS world then (particularly the 94-6 Impala SS world as I ran NAISSO for a few years) too. Thanks for the encouragement.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:55 AM
tomhinds
New User
Now that you mention it..... I love my '95 SS. NAISSO is a great forum. Mine is currently retired and sits most of the time. I always get a thrill when I am home and get to run it. It needs a little body work and a paint job. Drive train is A OK. Put LT2 heads on not too long ago and it pulls you back even better than before. It has old school Orion amps using stock head unit. Best sounding system I have ever had. Polk 6x9, rockford 6" in door w/ blaupunkt tweets on dash w/ silicone. Love my 7.3 Extinction as well and am trying to have a decent system w/o too much cash outlay.

Thanx for the advice and I plan to disconnect rear fill as you suggested.