Sponsored by:

Location DPFE-3 sensor Code P0401

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:27 PM
judgebc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Location DPFE-3 sensor Code P0401

I have a 2004 Excursion 6.0L turbo diesel. I had a code P0401 EGR insufficient flow. I changed EGR valve 4C3Z-9F452-A and still got P0401. I have DPFE-3 (4C3Z-9J460-A) but don't know where it is and how to replace it. What needs to come off to get to it. I also heard about cleaning hoses but don't see them. Thanks

Old 12-20-2009, 09:44 PM
judgebc
New User
I found it

I found it the Ford Dealer gave me a schematic but it was the wrong location.
I took a picture of it, but don't know how to attach it. So we will see if changing the EGR valve and the DPFE sensor will fix my P0401 code. I cleared it but only time will tell. i did not clean the metal tubing, too much stuff in the way to get too. Take care and Merry Christmas, Bernard

Old 12-22-2009, 08:17 PM
judgebc
New User
NOW WHAT

Well, I drove the car 50 miles and the check engine light went on. I will start looking at the website to see what else it could be but I am at a loss? I suspect it is something really bad and expensive? Would AE Scantool Software help solve my problem? Take Care, Bernard

Old 12-22-2009, 08:22 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
DPFE sensor? That sounds like a 6.4 PSD part..Can you post a pic of the part? When was the last time the dealer flashed the vehicle? Do you know the vehicles history?

On edit: I found DPFE sensor.. It's for gas motors.. You can take that part back..What are you reading these codes with BTW?

Old 12-23-2009, 09:48 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
You're not looking for that sensor still, are you?

BTW, Welcome to FTE..

Old 12-24-2009, 04:25 PM
judgebc
New User
I found DPFE Sensor, I think?

William, I am trying to post pictures but, I need approval from adminstrator. I have sent them a email to find out their requirements.

I have 153,623 miles on my 6.0L. I am original owner. I had injector problems two years ago and they flashed the car then. I am using a Actron PocketScan Plus to read code P0401. I have never had a EGR problem.

I found the DPFE sensor, I have a buddy with a 2004 250 pickup and he has the same sensor. It looks exactly like the Motocraft DPFE-3 sensor, I got from DieselFiltersonLine. I replaced the sensor but still got P0401.

The sensor is attached to a aluminum tube that goes to the exhaust manifold. I am going to try and take it out to clean it.

I will post photo's when I can. Thanks for the help, Bernard

Old 12-24-2009, 07:24 PM
judgebc
New User
CLEANED TUBE from DPFE SENSOR TO EXHAUST MANIFOLD

Well, I removed the tube and cleaned it. It was clean and didn't need cleaning.

Removing the air filter makes access to the compression fittings easier. The compression fitting was stuck, i used Prolong release lubricant and got it off.

Now what? I still have the P0401 code.
Back to the drawing board.

Thinking about buying AutoEnginuity software.

Also thinking about suscribing to Helm for a month or AllDatadiy, I think that they are both the same?

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks William.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:11 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well one thing is when replacing a egr valve you need to run a koeo test so the comp can learn the spring rate of the new egr

Old 12-26-2009, 11:15 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
as far as a p0401 still being there
i found 2 tsb so do a search I'm sure you will find them

Old 12-31-2009, 10:41 PM
judgebc
New User
I AM LOST

I cleaned the metal tube to the DPFE sensor, it was not clogged up. The tube goes into the exhaust manifold and it was not clogged either, it was dry. Took out the new EGR valve it was dusty coated with carbon, just wiped it off. I am not sure why it got so dusty with only 80 miles on it before the CEL check engine light went back on. Took off the air filter, looked into the throttle body and it was clean. Fordtech08, I searched the entire web and I am extremely frustrated on KOEO key on engine off. There was no help just talk. Do you need a specific scan tool to perform a KOEO test. I have a Actron Pocket ScanPlus that I borrowed and it say's nothing about KOEO, I guess it can only read and clear codes. On the web I see people saying I did the KOEO and got 11? Were and what machine gave them these numbers? Can KOEO test be performed with out a tool by tricking the trucks computer 6.0L diesel, if so how?

Happy New Year every one.......,,

Old 01-01-2010, 07:08 AM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
sorry i have no idea about scan tools I know snap on and ford scan tools and that is all I have used

Old 01-03-2010, 02:50 PM
judgebc
New User
Going to buy Autoenginuity Scanner for KOEO

Dan, I can't afford the Ford or Snapon scanner. I am going to order the AutuEnginuity (about $341 tomorrow Monday Jan 4, 2010 ) which has the capability to run KOEO and KOER.

I am hoping the PCM will adjust the spring rate so my CEL will not come on again. I would say that there was not that much carbon build up on the EGR valve and DPSE sensor, I replaced.

I am going to a California Hawkers Club (Falcons) meet in Nevada on Jan 12th. Even if the KOEO test doesn't work. I am taking the 600 mile trip, I hope I don't blow up the engine. The Ex drives good.

I looked at the TSB's, thanks for the tips.

Take Care, Bernard

Old 01-03-2010, 04:50 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
I didn't mean to imply that you should go out and buy one of those scanners but my knowledge is limited to those, good luck with the computer learning the new spring rate

and why is the california club meeting in nv? sounds to me a good reason to go gamble either way enjoy that

Old 01-03-2010, 07:51 PM
judgebc
New User
No Problem, Thanks for then Help

Dan, I know that you didn't imply about the scanners. I appreciate the advice you and William have given me. I however need to fix the CEL and for that I am going nto need to run the KOEO test. I don't know how to perform KOEO wthout some type of scanner or other tool.

I looked inside the throttle cavity today and it was clean. I also cleaned the MAF sensor. I don't see any sludge in egr valve/egr cooler and exhaust manifold. Maybe my cat or muffler is clogged. I guess it could be the egr cooler clogged up? My worst nightmare is PCM issue. I am not sure that I want to take the egr cooler off to look at it.

I went to automotive school for a year before the Marines sent me to Vietnam, so I have enough knowledege to be dangerous...grin. I gotta fix it!!!

Once a year the California Hawking Club meets to get together for a fundraiser. This year it is Gardnerville Nevada. It is out in the boonies with lots of open land with lots of jackrabbits and birds for the hawks/falcons.

I hope I dodn't offend anyone about the hawks, you have to have a state falconry licence as well as hunting license.

Yeah, there is gambling and it wiil be fun as long as I don't loose my shirt.

Take Care, Bernard

Old 01-03-2010, 10:18 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
you didn't offend me with the falcon thing if anything I want more info I've been fascinated since I read a book about a kid with a falcon when I was ten howwever this isn't the palce to talk about it, if the koeo doesn't work your next thing would be the egr cooler and if you replace that you should repace the fins on the oil cooler but hopefully the egr would fix it

Quick Reply: Location DPFE-3 sensor Code P0401