1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E350 vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 02:52 AM
Trx430ex
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
20,000 views and climbing, across over a 1,000,000 units, Big E fixed this, (when no updates from Ford were forthcoming) spread the word. This may also extend to the F series in legacy.

I got lucky in finding this, I will take luck over skill any day.

My question to Ford is, why don't you sell both Big E & Transit? Nike sells any sneaker ever made,produce /profit sell everything, and let demand decide the future.

Because 9.0ft /ht is the limit of any drive through, and not many Ford transit's are depositing checks or getting lunch at the drive through at Chick fil a.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:50 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Steve the question or lament about E-Series vans being replaced has gone on here ever since I first joined some 5 years or so ago. While the venerable E-Series has served many of us very well over the years I'm almost loath to admit Transit's are the better mouse trap---at least in many aspects.

Cargo containing space is downright cavernous with monstrously huge door openings---by comparison naturally. Available optional roof height options add greatly to their appeal especially for us tradesmen who want or need such things. Relatively low deck height adds so much more to the end value as a service oriented vehicle.

Cargo area's (mostly) straight vertical side walls increases usable inside room while making insulating and paneling infinitely easier than on the E-Series. Having already upfitted three different '97 and later E250's this is a huge appeal to me---far less tedious custom cutting of sheet materials to fit too many curved surfaces.

The downsides are greatly reduced towing capacities but as I don't tow anything that's not one bit important to me. The lack of a frame bothers a traditionalist like myself but the trade off of improved interior space has me seriously considering a Transit even though I'm just a few years from leaving my current big truck glass business.

So the E-Series are to be retired, they will be missed but only as long as most American's attention spans last----30 minutes or less?

Old 11-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Trx430ex
Junior User
Well to each their own, that suits their needs best, I understand why Ford did it to appeal to a wider segment of customers.

Myself I am trying to get smaller more compact, the rear is filled with 2 pac-rats and tool box on top secured together with a ratchet strap the back seat and both back seat seat belts. With 20 volt Dewalt hard cases in front of the tool box. Then the entire 36 volt Dewalt line lays bare on the left side,11 - 36 volt batts, 12 - 20 volt batts of energy (ditching cases to save weight). Right side containing miscellaneous and dead batteries in need of charge. From the side doors up is my personal use and construction overflow at times.

Twin AC & twin heat, front /back for toastiness/coolness, tip,,Ford wants $1700 for rear AC lines, doing them in hydraulic lines costs $400.

Hard points of improvement, ditch the 373 rear for 411, new 3750 lb rear springs (8 pac). Class 5 hitch @ 10,000 lb towing, new brakes/drums/brake lines/rear shocks.

The power to stop 4 tons, disable ABS, (almost bought the farm on beltway from ABS). Step up tire size from 225 to 245 in same tire, rolls better, more rubber on road to lock up.Transit's smaller tire may bode well for walk in, (do appreciate that) but physics does say a smaller tire will take longer to stop even at full lock no matter the hydraulic pressure.

Up fitting, let Ford do it in the 350 people mover, all trimmed out, quiet, twin AC/Heat, tint glass, openable windows, keyless entry. The people mover is much safer too with extra supports for crash protection of people risk VS only protection to seat belt post in cargos. It cuts body twist down too, first seat back is taken out and tossed along with mounts.

Full sway bars front and back with Neoprene bushings, a billygoat of a van that is quiet,cool,warm stable, and stops when you want it to. I just don't believe a Transit could perform that well @ 4 tons. Transit is sheet metal physics, frankly I don't see the math of stress, stress over time squared by safty worked out yet. No 5 star safety rating advertised,,, because they haven't gotten there yet.

Drive safe.

Also spray foam in the hole in the rear wheel well (front) sheet metal that lets road salt get into inter body panels, clogging drains, and rusting the 3rd one of these out. Garrr.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:39 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Harkins
The power to stop 4 tons, disable ABS, (almost bought the farm on beltway from ABS).
Sorry to disagree but ABS was developed in the aircraft industry and if its good enough for a 747 full of people its good enough for me too.....HOWEVER most who experience trouble with ABS tend to not understand its function or how easily the driver can/does accidentally disable it during panic stops.

The people mover is much safer too with extra supports for crash protection of people risk VS only protection to seat belt post in cargos. It cuts body twist down too.......
Where are these additional crash protections located exactly---I've never seen them on any van body whether a people mover or plain cargo only van.

I just don't believe a Transit could perform that well @ 4 tons. Transit is sheet metal physics, frankly I don't see the math of stress, stress over time squared by safty worked out yet. No 5 star safety rating advertised,,, because they haven't gotten there yet.

Drive safe.
That last comment pretty much says it all----no vehicle of any description that's typically and legally licensed to operate on public highways can overcome operator stupidity. Perhaps the Transit's configuration doesn't inspire crash worthiness mental comfort I don't think its a death trap either. If we load or overload any vehicle we've created our own danger so the "drive safe" comment could be slightly modified to say "load safe" too?

Also spray foam in the hole in the rear wheel well (front) sheet metal that lets road salt get into inter body panels, clogging drains, and rusting the 3rd one of these out. Garrr.
Rust issues in 4 season climates can be a problem if simple steps are taken although spray foam if not specifically formulated for automotive use has been shown to cause corrosion at the points it contacts sheet metal used in vehicles. There are a few good or better methods to adopt if living in an area where this might be an issue.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-30-2019, 11:08 AM
Teutonics
Senior User
Has anyone ever actually gotten this fixed? 30k miles and it's driving me crazy. Even using Google I can't find anyone that provides a resolution. Many just posted that they gave up....

Definitely not the tires or rims, have switched both out.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:17 PM
jbwheels
Senior User
Road Force balance the tires/wheels resolved the issues on my 97. It was awful at prime freeway speeds 65-75 even after multiple sets of tires and regular balances.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:35 PM
AerostarDad
Senior User
Like I said waaayyyup there^^^^, check your center driveshaft bearing, or "steady bearing" as it's sometimes called...fixed my vibration.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:14 PM
Teutonics
Senior User
Originally Posted by jbwheels
Road Force balance the tires/wheels resolved the issues on my 97. It was awful at prime freeway speeds 65-75 even after multiple sets of tires and regular balances.
Thanks, and yes... that's my next attempt. There's a shop about 30 minutes from me that does Road Force balancing and I just need to get the van over to them...

Old 08-02-2019, 04:15 PM
Teutonics
Senior User
Originally Posted by AerostarDad
Like I said waaayyyup there^^^^, check your center driveshaft bearing, or "steady bearing" as it's sometimes called...fixed my vibration.
That may be next, but this issue is definitely in the front end as it comes as feedback through the steering wheel. If there's still a body vibration after I get this fixed the driveshaft bearing will be on the checklist! Thanks!

Old 04-03-2024, 03:11 AM
Pt84
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verify this?

Originally Posted by Trx430ex
This vibration has been driving me mad for 8 years now, through multiple tire sets, u joints bla bla bla. I could not solve it, a vibration from the core soul of the vehicle from 35-40 mph, then from 65-70 mph on the highway, and you can't out drive the harmonic vibration, pushed it all the way to 80mph and it just gets worse.

I just happen to do some exhaust work replacing rusted clamps and found this clamp with this shroud around it right in front of the muffler. (Can't ID shroud) part #, it was rusted off and just hanging by a thread of steel. So I replaced the clamp and re-installed the shroud with the new clamp a couple weeks ago.

My first time back on the highway since, and before I know it I am doing 70 with no vibration at all. I was just stunned that I had to find somewhere to post this. It was so shocking that I nearly brook down in tears, could that little shroud be a dampener to offset wind speed vibration???

Does anyone else have this shroud? right before muffler on passenger side.

Edit;, note, I did replace the rear drums weeks before as I was doing 3 hr speed trips to the shore, and this wound was rubbing salt in it again and gave a last effort to fix. The new drums did not fix the issue, but I did pick up the new exhaust clamps on the way to the shore for the last time. Did this exhaust work last not thinking anything of it, but today was the first time back at speed on the highway.

Just stunned, maybe a combustion, harmonic vibration developed from three near gone exhaust clamps (loose exhaust system)?, just gitty it is gone.

1998 E350
people mover, full windows, full interior.
tires stock michelin but at 245 not 225 E series @60 psi
About 7640 lbs
5.4 gas
176,888 miles

I am just beyond words to describe how this problem has dogged me for years.

Mother %%^&*^%$$%$^*, X a million customer souls, I finally found it!!!!!

Over a million E's are approaching this problem, and a big F U to Ford for the one world skinny van, big "E" has solved this problem. I dare you Ford to take the F- series to "one world design". I want a full size van on a 350 frame.
Has anyone else been able to verify this. I have a 2005 e350 and they apparently discontinued using this shroud thing. I have tried everything to get rid of this vibration at 70+ mph. It is as if the entire van starts lifting

Old 04-03-2024, 10:00 PM
T-wood
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Idk about the exhaust clamp thing. I’ve learned to buy good tires, usually Michelin . And have a good shop mount and balance them. A mechanic friend suggested a local tire shop. Used them for 15yrs. What I’ve found is I still drive old trucks and vans. And some shops don’t give older vehicles the attention they need. I think the tolerances aren’t followed as closely at a lot of shops.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:40 AM
bengineer
Mountain Pass
I'm certainly going to check my exhaust first chance, I need to do the shocks anyway. I've run Firestone Transforce, and have battled this vibration thing for all eternity, though I just stumbled onto this thread and am going to try road force balancing next. Going through this thread I had no idea of the amount of variance in tire balancing, but lesson learned. I've just about given up on Firestone service, and will find a good local tire shop I can get a good relationship with.

My van is pretty smooth about up to 60, then it starts, 70mph is pretty much unbearable. I've dialed it back to 65 so I don't lose my dang mind. Over the years of dealing with this problem I've done it all- balance and rebalance, ball joints, shocks. Nothing ever made a dent in it and I had given up just thinking that this is a box on top of a 1 ton chassis and not every going to be smooth. But Road Force Balancing might do the trick, I'm going to try it.

Thanks to you all,

Ben

Old 04-06-2024, 07:23 AM
manicmechanic007
Lead Driver
Received 1,052 Likes on 955 Posts
Old thread but I did alignments for 25 years and only run Michelins on my daily drivers
They stay round
You can balance an egg shaped out of round tire, but you still have eggs
Fords radial runout spec was / is .060" that is sure not much and the cheaper brands have a hard time hitting that spec