Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

My very first YouTube video! GP test Test Video.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My very first YouTube video! GP test Test Video.

Be nice to me. I learning more how to do this. I had to use a converter, and it did a not so hot job. the next time i will make the video in the right format to begin with.

My son was the camera man, so go easy on your comments. I know it's not perfect or anything, Just a test, and first time learning experience.

******** width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e7Azfql5AEU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e7Azfql5AEU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>*********>

Old 12-16-2009, 08:40 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I see nothing wrong with the video. Good job.

I've got some questions. You say you can't see swelling. Is the swelling usually visible to the naked eye? What about measuring the diameter of it with a micrometer out of the box and then after it cools from a 3 minute glow? IMHO, you need a bigger sample size than one to make a conclusion.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:50 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
I don't know, I'm not seeing it. Just a white box. Darn computer.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mechelement
I see nothing wrong with the video. Good job.

I've got some questions. You say you can't see swelling. Is the swelling usually visible to the naked eye? What about measuring the diameter of it with a micrometer out of the box and then after it cools from a 3 minute glow? IMHO, you need a bigger sample size than one to make a conclusion.
For the full tests, I will have my dial calipers out. Yes, the swelling can be observed with the naked eye.

I know a bigger sample size would be optimal, but that cost $$ to go through 10 or more of each plug. I have actually done this to 3 of the wellmans so far. The Third one is the one you see in the video. First one, I just wanted to make sure that the charger wouldn't burn up from doing a 3 minute burn. And the second use was because of a electrical malfuntion (the plug fell out of the wall, fixed that problem). I used a brand new one for the video you see. Having done this test to 3 plugs, I like the results so far. Did you notice how fast it heats up? not bad in my opinion.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:16 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Fishin76
For the full tests, I will have my dial calipers out. Yes, the swelling can be observed with the naked eye.

I know a bigger sample size would be optimal, but that cost $$ to go through 10 or more of each plug. I have actually done this to 3 of the wellmans so far. The Third one is the one you see in the video. First one, I just wanted to make sure that the charger wouldn't burn up from doing a 3 minute burn. And the second use was because of a electrical malfuntion (the plug fell out of the wall, fixed that problem). I used a brand new one for the video you see. Having done this test to 3 plugs, I like the results so far. Did you notice how fast it heats up? not bad in my opinion.
I didn't know you've done this to three of the same brand plug. That's pretty decent actually. I didn't know you could actually see the expansion with your naked eye. Interesting. What's the tip of a glow plug made out of?

Old 12-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
On these plugs, there is no defined 'tip' the entire heated element is the same from 'tip' to stalk. From what i have read about these glowplugs, the material is Inconel 601

Inconel, Inconel 600, Inconel Alloys - All Metals & Forge

Like Inconel 600, Inconel 601 offers resistance to various forms of high-temperature corrosion and oxidization. However, unlike 600, this nickel-chromium alloy has an addition of aluminum. This addition allows it to demonstrate high mechanical properties even in extremely hot environments.

Inconel 601's ability to stave off the strain that would result in many alloys when exposed to high temperatures has led to its use in furnaces and heat treating equipment like retorts and baskets. You will also find Inconel 601 in gas-turbine components and petrochemical processing equipment.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:09 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
So it's a nickel chromium alloy. I can't tell by the camera, but it looks like it gets to a yellow or white heat. That's HOT. How long did it take before it was completely cool again?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
A good minute and a half or more till I could handle it. and even then, it was still very warm. Not really a good test on cooling down though, installed in the engine, it would cool off quicker because it would have the block acting as a HUGE heatsink. To the naked eye, it got to yellow. the camera makes it look like white hot.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Links56
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Video man. Looks good!! P.S. Was that on your kitchen table? Lol. I catch enough hell for cleaning guns on mine can't imagine what the other half would say if she came in and I was lighting up glow plugs all over the place.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Ya, on the kitchen table, I trusted the manfacturer that the GP wouldn't melt or explode, and it didn't. (3 different times, no problems.) Too cold in the garage last night, and the lighting is terrible out there. I did have a fire exstiguisher just out of veiw of the camera though.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After a three minute glow would it do it again.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by starmilt
After a three minute glow would it do it again.
On my project video, I will do the ones that survive the first 3 minutes again. I couldn't do it here, it would have made the video too long for YouTube.

I have done it on another plug though, came through with flying colors.....

Old 12-16-2009, 11:25 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Be sure to let it cool to room temperature before you measure the diameter. That's a pretty good experiment.

I suppose you could use a block of steel with a hole drilled in it to suck the heat out quicker and represent the engine block as a heat sink. Are you trying to replicate cold starts in cold weather, or cold starts at room temps?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Be sure to let it cool to room temperature before you measure the diameter. That's a pretty good experiment.
Yep, I would definitely let them cool to room temp be fore measuring.

I suppose you could use a block of steel with a hole drilled in it to suck the heat out quicker and represent the engine block as a heat sink.
If i only had a block of steel, a drill press, and a tap......

Are you trying to replicate cold starts in cold weather, or cold starts at room temps?
Well, neither... I am merely demonstrating perceived durability (key words, since I cannot do full scale durability under varing conditions). I can, however, simulate a single digit burn if I put the ones that survive the 3 minute test in the freezer, then take them directly out and put power to them.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:39 PM
damac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, I hope we didn't make a mistake in replacing all of ours with motocrafts this week. On our 85 we got a few weeks ago, we found major neglect and it took me 3 full days to extract all the old ones

I ordered a set of motocrafts after reading so many replies about the cheap stuff(all of mine were autolites from previous owner).

I also bypassed the controller with an in cab switch. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and I don't have to worry about it.

Quick Reply: My very first YouTube video! GP test Test Video.