1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck dead. Engine turning, but not starting.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:31 AM
FreeDevin
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck dead. Engine turning, but not starting.

Hello all, I own a 2002 F-250 Lariat 4x4 crew cab with 90,000 miles on it.

Yesterday my truck was driving just fine with no issues or symptoms. I parked her, was gone for about 4-5 hours, then came back and she would not start. The engine was turning but she would not start. I found that she would occasionally cough/sputter while turning the motor, but that was it. I checked relevant fuses, but did not check ALL the fuses. I did not have a check engine light. I checked the fuel reset switch and I suppose it was fine. The round thing on top did not budge and after finger f$#%ing it real good I couldn't find any other switch or button, so I assume it is good to go.

I am headed down there today to attempt to recover the vehicle and if I can't I will be able to at least get more symptoms/information to help me troubleshoot the issue. What else should I be looking for?

I researched this problem here on FTE, and though I wasn't able to find someone with my exact issue, I have come to learn that the probem can be any multitude of things.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:42 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you getting a wait to start light?
I would check all the basics first: oil level, cranking voltage greater than 10 volts, are you getting fuel.
Might be the cps. Always good to have a spare even if it is not the problem.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:02 AM
FreeDevin
Tuned
By CPS, do you mean Cam Position Sensor?

Old 12-12-2009, 11:13 AM
FreeDevin
Tuned
Yes, I got the WTS light.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:20 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
re

Originally Posted by FreeDevin
By CPS, do you mean Cam Position Sensor?
yes. Here is a write up on changing it out if you don't know how: Welcome to guzzle's CPS R&R Web Page<

Old 12-12-2009, 12:04 PM
kdokey
Junior User
I had this same exact thing happen to me on my 2002 F250 7.3 diesel. I bet ya anything its the CPS. thats what it was on my truck. If you take it down to your local ford dealer they should replace it for free. It is a recall issue.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:37 PM
h2guy
Senior User
Originally Posted by kdokey
I had this same exact thing happen to me on my 2002 F250 7.3 diesel. I bet ya anything its the CPS. thats what it was on my truck. If you take it down to your local ford dealer they should replace it for free. It is a recall issue.
Not very "free" when he'll have to pay for a TOW.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:46 PM
FreeDevin
Tuned
UPDATE

My brother took me to my truck this morning to see what it's deal is. I brought oil and spare batteries, just in case. Apon arrival, I immediately checked the oil level. It was low, but still in the operational range. I added some oil anyways. Didn't measure it, just kinda eyed it. I was careful to not put too much oil in.

I then put the key in the ignition and turned it to the on position, waited for the WTS light to go out and then did it again, making sure those cylinders got nice and warm and that plenty of fuel got pumped. I attempted to start the engine and she fired right up. I let her idle a little before driving her around the parking lot. No check engine light and everything appeared to be normal, so I canceled the tow-truck and had my brother follow me home.

When I got home, I shut off the engine and tried to start her again. She fired up with no problem.

My guess is a temporary fuel blockage. I had her get real low on fuel the other night before filling her up. Maybe something got sucked in the fuel line/pump/filter and then got unstuck and burnt in the cylinder? Not sure, but I would love to hear the opinions of some of yall.

It bothers me when engines do weird stuff like that.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:52 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Still could be the cps. They can be intermittent and it will store a code in your pcm so I would try to get it scanned. Did you have the cps recall done? How cold was it there? Maybe the fuel froze up?

Old 12-12-2009, 05:58 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I would start by putting your batteries on a charger for now. These trucks require lots of voltage to fire the glow plugs then get the truck started. All that cranking was probably rough on the batteries.

If it happens again, turn the key on and check to make sure you get a good stream of fuel out of the tube when you open the drain valve. Also watch to see if there is any smoke coming out of the tail pipe while cranking.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:37 PM
FreeDevin
Tuned
tdpower, I did not have the CPS recall done. I probaly ought to do the CPS recall since it's free and people are having problems with it anyways. I will see to this. It was about 40-45 degrees....not cold at all.

F350-6, I will do this.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:41 PM
kdokey
Junior User
I agree with tdpower. Get the CPS replaced before it actually goes out. mine gave me signs like what you had before it actually went out. I didnt know what it was til it actually went out lol. but yeah i would do it while you can still drive it down there.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:50 AM
FreeDevin
Tuned
I am having the same problems again this morning. I am taking today off from work to fix this problem.

As I was cranking the truck repeatedly for about 15 seconds, I noticed white smoke coming out the tailpipe.

I am going to do the things F350-6 told me to do, as I have not done them yet (work). How do I find the fuel filter and drain valve?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:57 AM
FreeDevin
Tuned
ok, just went outside and the truck fired right up. It's running fine and I am going to solve this problem.

How many of you think it is the CPS? If so, I'll just go to a store, get the part and swap it out.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:01 AM
mjlewis
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the cps does not fix the problem, i'd take a look at the fuel pump. its located under the truck in front of the fuel tank. it might not be the problem, but its a place to start.

a quick way to test is to take the fuel filter off and turn the key on and see if you're getting diesel into the bowl, be careful or you'll have a mess to clean up.

what's the temp out were you are? if its too cold we might have a gelling problem.

thanks.

Quick Reply: Truck dead. Engine turning, but not starting.