Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Compressor/ defogger issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 02:59 AM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AC Compressor/ defogger issues

Hey fellas, the truck in question is my 94 F150. Its a 4 wheel drive, automatic, with a 5.0 v8, not sure if any of that matters in regards to the compressor or not.

Basically I turned the defogger on a couple nights ago and the compressor squealed for a second and then the truck stalled. The truck wouldn't stay running with the climate control switch on any setting that required the compressor to operate. I ended up unplugging the small electrical connection on the top of the compressor so I could run my defogger without the compressor engaging.

I'm assuming this means the compressor clutch is shot? If that is the case is it possible to replace just the clutch? Or will that entire compressor need replaced?

I've noticed now to that the compressor makes a very light squealing noise while the truck is idling, kinda sounds like a supercharger whining , as soon as I touch the throttle the noise stops and doesn't return until the truck is at idle again. Am I running the risk of having the compressor or clutch seize up by running it like that?

I'm also curious if anyone knows of a company that might make an AC compressor bypass pulley or compressor delete pulley for these trucks? I thought maybe for the time being I could unbolt the compressor and secure it off to the side under the hood somewhere and just run a pulley in its place, at least until I have time to mess with the compressor when it isn't so cold out.

Thanks in advance for any help or info you can give.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:02 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
If the clutch is bad, it would make noise when the AC or Defrost is off and be quiet when on. I would say that the compressor is going out.

I would just fix the compressor instead of bypassing it. The defrost works much better the it since that helps remove humidity.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:17 AM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the compressor to me to , ford racing makes an eliminator kit for it ... Lew