1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESOF problem, possible knuckle trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Whopper809
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ESOF problem, possible knuckle trouble

I just replaced both of the ESOF hubs on my recently purchased 2005 F350. Everything tested good (vacume at hub, all lines tested good and at compressor, also transfer case is working good) after the job was completed. So I took the truck for a short a test drive everything was working good, then I heard the HVAC change (vacume leak) and I no longer had 4x4,once back at my shop I retested for vacume at all usuall places and it wouldn't hold vacume anymore on the passanger hub. I pulled it all apart to make sure I didn't tear the yellow seal and everything was fine. The thing is, is that the passanger side has really bad corrosion and pitting on the sealing surface. I'm thinking the pitting isn't allowing the hub to seal, does anyone think that replacing the knuckle would cure the problem. I did have seal for a short while but I believe it was just the coat of anti seize compound keeping it seal untill air pulled pass it. Anyone have this problem before, or had to change a knuckle to fix this problem?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:50 PM
dstig1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, any seal requires a good sealing surface to function....I suspect you have the solution figured out, from your post.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Whopper809
Junior User
Originally Posted by dstig1
Well, any seal requires a good sealing surface to function....I suspect you have the solution figured out, from your post.
Well I'm hoping you correct cause I can only guess at this point what kind of money a knuckle is going to run me.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:43 AM
dstig1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your sure you double-checked all the lines going to that side? It would be worth your time to check the lines and solenoid from one end to the other to verify before springing for a new hub.

And if you need the new hub try PartsGuyEd (sponsor on here) for a much better price and service.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Whopper809
Junior User
Oh, I checked and rechecked the passenger hub and it won't hold vacume at any point along the vacume lines. I have used partsguyed before for a driver side door mirror on my last truck and he sure did give me a hell of a deal, but I needed to fix this fast and managed to already find and purchased a used knuckle this morning from a wrecker and purchased for only $200CDN, not bad for a part off a 09 with only 20,000km's when it was wrote off, even came with ball joints that are good.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
It could also be your main seal on the back side of the knuckle. From reading your post it's it sounds like you just changed the hub itself. That main seal is also a culprit when it comes to leaks.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Whopper809
Junior User
Sorry but I forgot to add that. Yes the rear seal was also changed out for new.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Whopper809
Junior User
Originally Posted by Whopper809
Sorry but I forgot to add that. Yes the rear seal was also changed out for new.

Well now I'm really mad or confused . I was taking everything apart once again on the passanger side to change the knuckle out, and upon inspecting the hub assembly again, I have now found that the new rear knuckle seal that was installed has damage on the seal. Looks like the outer collar (the part of the rear seal that seats against the knuckle surface) has failed either during being pressed on the axle or installed in the knuckle and partially torn the seal and now I can even see the spring that is inside of the seal.

Now the question is, is it possible the seal was just bad or did the shop that installed the rear seal damage it or did I damage it during the install into the knuckle.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
The knuckle itself does not have a bearing inside it. It is only a large seal that has to be driven in with a proper sized tool. The spindle is supported by the hub bearings when the hub is inserted into the knuckle.

Here is link to Racerguys's post on replacing Ball Joints but it covers the issues of hubs and seals very well it should help you out as well on clarifying parts.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ll-joints.html

Old 12-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Whopper809
Junior User
Sorry for the slight confusion, Yes it's the knuckle seal that has been torn or damaged. I would like to know why the seal did this. I was wondering if the seal was faulty or damaged like I said before during being pressed on to the shaft. Or possibly during the install into the hub. I installed both driverside and passangerside the same process and the driverside had no problems, so something went wrong for sure with the seal.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
Hard to say what did you use to drive the seal into the knuckle?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:25 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You should NEVER have to replace a knuckle for a sealing problem. The surfaces can easily be sanded down at least. They probably damaged the seal when they put it in. Now you have some deluxe paperweights.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Whopper809
Junior User
Well the problem is finally fixed and it sure is nice to have my ESOF working again. I was very happy to find out that the warranty person that works at the dealership that I buy parts at took a look at the failed seal and said that it looks to be defective by the way it tore, so I was givin a full refund for that seal. I thought that was pretty nice of them to warranty it since they could of just as easily told me "tough luck".

Old 12-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
Good to hear your back with ESOF working and they covered it for you.