6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Detailed FICM Repair Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:11 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Anything under 45 and it's time for a repair or replacement.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:04 PM
tinman565
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well..I go outside and tear into it. Got it out no problem, and followed the repair directions perfectly. Put it all back together, and the truck started right up. Now, its idleing like it has a miss...and when you put it in gear, it has sort of a slight "surge". I now have a CEL on. After it was warmed up, I shut it off a few times, and it started right up. I'm gonna eat dinner, and go out and check the running voltage on the FICM again. GRRRRRRRR...knew I should have left it alone...lol.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:11 PM
tinman565
Junior User
Just checked the running voltage....got 48.3 volts. So I'm assuming I did the FICM repair correctly. I cant check the CEL until Monday. Any ideas ? Thanks guys.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:40 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Pull it and carefully check all the tiny little pins on the connectors. Easy to bend one when you installed it.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:22 PM
SD luvr
Junior User
Okay, I just completed the FICM fix. Well, I didn't trust myself with the detailed soldering, so I took it out and took it to a TV Repair shop. The guy did the work and charged me $10. My truck now runs like a champ! Best ten bucks I ever spent, when Ford wanted over $800 to replace it!

Old 04-23-2011, 11:44 PM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SD luvr
Okay, I just completed the FICM fix. Well, I didn't trust myself with the detailed soldering, so I took it out and took it to a TV Repair shop. The guy did the work and charged me $10. My truck now runs like a champ! Best ten bucks I ever spent, when Ford wanted over $800 to replace it!
Very good idea!!!

Old 04-24-2011, 09:45 AM
CSI's F350PSD
New User
my bad...

Ok guys, the FICM repair was definitely what the problem was. Apparently I didn't solder one of the resistors on well enough (it popped right off when he took the amber glue off). Have to admit, I'll leave the soldering to someone more experienced. I now have a new Ford diesel tech too Tim Taylor, owner of Express Fleet in Bethlehem, GA (does fleet maint, but specializes in Ford diesels)

It did show 48v with a bad FICM unit, and dropped to 23v. I paid $100 to have him come to my house and re-solder at my kitchen table... not gonna complain for driveway service!

Can't thank everyone enough for all the help... You guys ROCK!

Old 04-24-2011, 09:45 AM
tinman565
Junior User
Ok...(Happy Easter Everybody) I went out this morning to re-check my voltages after the repair yesterday. Key on...47.9....cranking...48...running...47.7v. Truck started right up. So, I'm assuming everything is ok with the FICM now. I still have the CEL that came on after I did the repair, and it still seems to have the slight "surge" or "miss" (most noticable when you put it in gear). I hope its something simple.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Javo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Tinman, I had the same type of problem after my repair was done. Turns out the middle plug of my FICM was not seating all the way and so it kept coming loose. I took a real large, heavy duty hvac style tie wrap and ran it around the FICM and plug then really cinched it down. I finally heard that "click" I was unable to get before and it ran like a new truck! You may (I know it's a pain) want to double check your three plugs and make sure they are locked into place.

Good Luck.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:16 PM
ridin250
New User
Hey everyone, I am having problems with cold starts and after it warms up it will surge and kick out a cloud of black smoke or will choke out and die, but will start right back up. Can anyone email me the pdf files for the ficm fix. Thanks
zanemerrell7050@yahoo.com

Old 05-03-2011, 09:35 AM
bopfly
Freshman User
Just look in the Tech Folder at the very top of the first page of the forum. The very first item there is everything you ever wanted to know about the FICM. I tested mine yesterday and got a reading of 19 so I sent it out right away. Hopefully it's salvageable.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:28 PM
abealex
Junior User
Has anyone been able to remove the circuit board from the bottom of the case?
The part where the 3 plugs plug into it?
I am waiting for parts for my hg & egr job, so I figured I'd pull my FICM and check if the repair was needed. I have the 7 pin version, and one of the pins itself is loose on the bottom board, but it seems like it's not gong to be easy to get it apart.
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ed

Old 12-09-2011, 01:30 PM
99FordGuy
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I would like to thank DrQuad and the others here for this awesome thread. I have been dealing with hard start when cold for over a year so I checked my voltage and only had 24volts running. I used the info here and re-soldered my resistors (two fell off as soon as I heated one side) and now I have 47.8 volts running. My truck starts better than it has in years even when in the 30s. Before this repair it would have ran the batteries dead trying to crank it in the 50s.

Thanks all, have a great weekend.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:59 PM
freedomtide
New User
Thumbs up Thank you

Hi all, I joined this forum specifically to thank Dr.Quad and the other great contributors to this post. Earlier this week I found my ’04 F350 PSD in a no start condition after driving it several hundred miles the day before. With the help from this post (a few years old I know) and a couple informative youtube videos, I was able to successfully diagnose, remove, repair, and replace the FICM saving me an undoubtedly expensive experience with any reputable mechanic. I am now proud to report with only $35 in supplies (RadioShack: New Solder Gun, Silver Solder, and Flux), a few hours of time, and most importantly this post (thanks again!) my PSD is back running strong!!!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:59 AM
06F350PSDDually
Junior User
Originally Posted by freedomtide
Hi all, I joined this forum specifically to thank Dr.Quad and the other great contributors to this post. Earlier this week I found my ’04 F350 PSD in a no start condition after driving it several hundred miles the day before. With the help from this post (a few years old I know) and a couple informative youtube videos, I was able to successfully diagnose, remove, repair, and replace the FICM saving me an undoubtedly expensive experience with any reputable mechanic. I am now proud to report with only $35 in supplies (RadioShack: New Solder Gun, Silver Solder, and Flux), a few hours of time, and most importantly this post (thanks again!) my PSD is back running strong!!!
Do you mind sharing approximately how many solder joints you "touched up"? Did you just touch up everything you saw or did you see some suspicious or bad joints and just touch them up?

Congratulations of getting your PSD back up and running. I'll bet you got extreme satisfaction out of that not to mention the joy of saving close to a thousand (or more).

Last edited by 06F350PSDDually; 01-23-2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: additional statement

Quick Reply: Detailed FICM Repair Procedure