Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V10 Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:20 AM
UrbanXX
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Comming from the "old school" I will never get caught up on all the sensors and electronics in modern cars. I am old enough to be most members dad on this forum.
I also have no training in machine work, but I do have what one would call life experience.
I have gone to the wrecking yard 4 times in the last 4 weeks just to take a look. Some things I see is totally amazing to me. Just lift up the back seat of a late model Buick Reveria. There's a mess of wires and relays under three that is bigger than most wire bundels under the dash of a normal car. Ford Fiesta and Probes have an electric motor in the 1/4 panels on both sides and they are not for electric windows or anything else I can figure. Some Chevy trucks have more modules and relays under the dash and in the dash harness than I would even care to count.
So I value each and everyons knowledge and experiance on this fourm. I just learned yesterday at the wrecking yard the side marker lights on mid-seventies to late-seventies Chevy Van interchange with the very hard to find obsolete side marker lights on the 69-72 Chevy P.U. A guy yanked a 4 cam engine and transmission out of a 94 Lincoln Mark 8 which has the same block as a Cobera Mustang from the bottom! About 2 hours work! The last Camaro's built before the new models came out has the template for the cut-out for t-tops under the headliner, its like they all were made to be t-tops. This just shows you that sometimes what you see and what you read are vastly different. No one knows it all so that is why we must learn from each other. Knowledge is never very important until it involves you and one needs to put it to use. So I learn from the 18 year old and from the 85 year old. To put this in perspective we all need each other just to keep these cars operating and running as designed. I personally value everyones opinion, dosen't mean I agree with all but never the less I value everyones opinion and thoughts.
Chas.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 PM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
quote=UrbanXX;8254819]Comming from the "old school" I will never get caught up on all the sensors and electronics in modern cars.

I KNOW THAT FEELING ! I am old enough to be most members dad on this forum.........

NOT QUITE - HOW DARE YOU CLAIM TO BE AS OLD (are you claiming to be as ugly, too ? ) AS ME.

I also have no training in machine work, but I do have what one would call life experience.

HERE IS WHERE WE DIFFER. THRU JUST PURE CHANCE, I DO HAVE A BIT MORE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THIS STUFF THAN SOME OF YOU GUYS. CANT TAKE CREDIT FOR THAT - JUST THE WAY LIFE UNFOLDS...

I have gone to the wrecking yard 4 times in the last 4 weeks just to take a look. Some things I see is totally amazing to me.AGAIN..WE DIFFER...(you said "some" !) I SAY ALL OF THAT STUFF UNDER A MODERN CAR IS AMAZING TO ME ! THANK HEAVEN FOR THE OBD II thingie i bought...!

So I value each and everyons knowledge and experiance on this fourm. ........... No one knows it all Hey - listen up...thought i told you i "know it all....!

so that is why we must learn from each other. Knowledge is never very important until it involves you and one needs to put it to use. So I learn from the 18 year old and from the 85 year old. To put this in perspective we all need each other just to keep these cars operating and running as designed. I personally value everyones opinion, dosen't mean I agree with all but never the less I value everyones opinion and thoughts.

I agree with you up to a point - this new form of communication gives us learning opportunities we couldn't have imagined when I was younger, sweeter-dispositioned, and somewhat less ugly than I am now.

However, again, placing value on an opinon that is either ignorant, or deliberately false, can do a lot of expensive damage. THAT is why i "ride" some of these idiotic posts so hard. We need to HELP each other with LEGIT real world knowledge, NOT just "mouth off" to make ourselves feel good.
Chas.[/quote]

Remember...."don unto others"..........

(then "split" before they figure it out....! )

Old 12-21-2009, 07:43 AM
6686L
Elder User
Originally Posted by delzy
6686L, I am 100% behind your line of questioning. I too would like greater detail, but I suspect what the guy means by "done" is "worked on and paid for".

It is unlikely we will get answers to your questions because many people do not have the basic understanding of what kind of mechanical work was required or done. Their mechanics know this, so they charge them 3 times the price of the job to save them from having to think or learn.

Maybe in some worlds, "rod bearings done" means a complete engine rebuild. Certainly someone who doesn't know their A####### from their elbow around an engine is not going to 'fess up on how badly they've just been screwed.

There's two kinds of people on these boards - those who are here for the social aspect and those that are here for the technical aspect. Certainly the questions of the latter are much too complicated for the former.
great post - how sad ! and how right

you are !

Old 12-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Downriver Thunder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 6686L
= = = = =

Wow - that was a very informative post. Your "x was done"......Can we get "when my X was done" translated into English, so we know
1) WHAT went wrong with WHAT KIND of motor ?
2) WHY it went wrong ?
3) WHAT can we learn so as it dosn't happen to the next guy ?
English? It's not meant to be too informative. I was simply saying it wasn't necessary to lift the whole body off the frame to do the swap and beings this wasn't my thread I didn't want to hi jack it to detail my work. If you weren't so rude in your post I would tell you that the motor was being replaced due to it burning 2 quarts of oil a week on my V-10. I'm sorry that I assumed beings this post is titled "V10 engine swap" that you would know that I had a V10, duh.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Downriver Thunder
Posting Guru
Hi again Stewart:
First, thank you again for your gracious and courteous "private" message, suggesting I am being way too tough on some of you guys. You are right. I was born mean, nasty, & ugly, and time obviously is making it worse !
Isn't that the truth. I had my X "done" because it was a company ride and we have mechanics to take care of these issues. My work pays me to do a job and it's not working on our 78 trucks.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:49 AM
Downriver Thunder
Posting Guru
Here's an old pic I found when the mechanic was putting the new transfer case in after the new V10 was put in.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:15 PM
6686L
Elder User
Originally Posted by Downriver Thunder
English? It's not meant to be too informative. . . . . . motor was being replaced due to it burning 2 quarts of oil a week on my V-10. . . . , duh.
= = = =

Thank you for your post. May I suggest that you try and re-think your reasons for posting. Perhaps you might decide a good reason to post is that it IS fun and it IS helpful to be "too informative". In fact, when you are dealing with guys who actually LIKE their vehicles, and enjoy exchanging useful tech. info, there is no such THING as being "too informative".

So - you tell us that your V-10 was "burning 2 qts. of oil per week".

That is interesting. But would be even MORE interesting if we knew under what operating conditions, conditions, mileage, etc., your V-10 was "burning 2 qts. of oil per week".

Modern (meaning post 1930's light duty car/truck motors equipped with oil filters) do not generally start using significant amounts of oil until either horribly abused and/or badly worn over very long periods of time. Some of us in here could be helped by your experience, whatever it is, with Ford V-10 motors.

So - work on this thought. "There are genuine car-buffs in these forums who would like to learn more"......got it now ? (oh yes, as you say....."duhhhhh"....)

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-01-2010, 01:04 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Some people, no matter how technically correct their information might be, are not worth listening to, or having around, simply because of their ****-poor attitude.

Take that however you want.

To the OP, hope you can wade through some of the junk on this forum and stick around with us.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:08 AM
6686L
Elder User
Originally Posted by Downriver Thunder
. . . . . I had my X "done" because it was a company ride and we have mechanics to take care of these issues. My work pays me to do a job and it's not working on our 78 trucks.
= = = = = = = =

I think I owe this guy and some others of you an apology. I am a product of another era - I should learn to accept you guys with your point of view. You are America's future.

I am from the era when the United States was an industrial giant - when "precision of thought" was necessary in a country that did things & made things & fixed things.

As we drift down towards "third world" status, it is normal and natural that we needn't be concerned with actually doing things, making things, and fixing things. We need to "chat" and "relate" and have "good vibrations".

In the "third world", if you can get your hands on a little money, you can buy stuff from the white, industrialized nations, and pay technicans trained by them to fix them & make them work.

But why be bothered with HOW these things from the industrialized countries work ? MUCH more important to have lots of good emotions, sit around and talk about how you feel. Guys like me who want specifics on technical matters are not relevant to what we are becoming.

So - I am the one who has to change to reflect our glorious new status, not you guys. Sorry I bothered you with my attitudes and views towards technical matters. You are right. We dont need that any more.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:16 AM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben
Some people, no matter how technically correct their information might be, are not worth listening to, or having around, simply because of their ****-poor attitude.

Take that however you want.
= = = = = = = =

I think I owe this guy and some others of you an apology. I am a product of another era - I should learn to accept you guys with your point of view. You are America's future.

I am from the era when the United States was an industrial giant - when "precision of thought" was necessary in a country that did things & made things & fixed things.

As we drift down towards "third world" status, it is normal and natural that we needn't be concerned with actually doing things, making things, and fixing things. We need to "chat" and "relate" and have "good vibrations".

In the "third world", if you can get your hands on a little money, you can buy stuff from the white, industrialized nations, and pay technicans trained by them to fix them & make them work.

But why be bothered with HOW these things from the industrialized countries work ? MUCH more important to have lots of good emotions, sit around and talk about how you feel. Guys like me who want specifics on technical matters are not relevant to what we are becoming.

So - I am the one who has to change to reflect our glorious new status, not you guys. Sorry I bothered you with my attitudes and views towards technical matters. You are right. We dont need that any more.
I think he's talking about you in case you can't take a hint.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:31 AM
delzy
Junior User
6686L, I don't accept your apology. I think it is completely unnecessary and inppropriate. You should just ignore these sensitive little girls' whining. This is an internet board, for pete's sake. If anyone thinks they are making friends, ask one your "friends" to borrow you some money.

I personally enjoy the flavor of your posts and think putting people on their toes is appropriate on the internet. After all, I don't think any of us really care if some anonymous interweb friend is happy or proud. If we do, the problem lies in the mirror. In my world, when you get a little sensitive to those around you, they really let you have it. Too bad if these guys' skins are so thin they have to cry about your terse posts. The guys whining don't have anything to add to the conversation anyway.

Keep up the good work!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:11 PM
6686L
Elder User
Originally Posted by delzy
6686L,. . . . . You should just ignore these sensitive little girls' whining. . . . . .
I personally enjoy the flavor of your posts and think putting people on their toes is appropriate on the internet. . . . . . it. Too bad if these guys' skins are so thin they have to cry about your terse posts.

= = = = = = = = = = =

Shame on you - you horrible vicious nasty brute !

I know "your kind". The "politically correct" know what to do with folks like you...( and me..!). We ought to be locked up, silenced, and placed in glass cases in museums, with a big warning sign....DO NOT OPEN EXCEPT IN TIME OF WAR....!

Old 01-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Scott,

Not my fault someone has their panties in a wad. I didn't even mention anybodies name, so something I said must have hit a nerve somewhere.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
= = = = = = = = = = =

We ought to be locked up, silenced, and placed in glass cases in museums, with a big warning sign....DO NOT OPEN EXCEPT IN TIME OF WAR....!
Okay, I don't care who ya are, that there was funny.

...."Break Glass In Case Of Emergency"..... heh heh heh...

Stewart

Old 03-04-2022, 05:23 PM
Jbazf250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil in m coolant = BHG ?

Coolant overflow tank is filling up with oil and engine overheating. Shop says blown head gasket or cracked heads. High mileage but still strong. Swap or? Rust free 1 owner

Quick Reply: V10 Engine swap