Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F250 front leaf springs ON! Also 325/60/18's - pics!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:37 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
F250 front leaf springs ON! Also 325/60/18's - pics!

Ok, I got these wheels and tires months ago. Found out the hard way just because they fit on an F250 don't mean they'll fit on an Excursion... So, I've had a set of front springs from an '01 F250 that had like 30k miles on them forever. Well, we finally threw on the new springs while doing ball joints, etc the other day and I JUST got a chance to try the big tires again. They fit!! Now looks like about 3" taller blocks for the rear will bring it back to level. I still have shocks (Pro Comp MX6), a rear anti-sway bar and LandYot Radius Rods that need to be installed. Ahhhh, nothing some spare time wouldn't fix....

They are a little close to the plastic under the front bumper, we may need to do a little trimming. Otherwise, they fit great and I like the look of tire filling the fender well. I've only been about 2 miles, so we'll see how they ride. The springs alone were an amazing difference. I really did not expect how much they tightened up the ride - the new shocks should only make it better!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:16 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
This is before the new leaf springs. They didn't just 'rub', ya couldn't turn the wheels!! The springs brought front end up about 2.5" from where it was...

Old 12-04-2009, 12:43 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Dem's phat...er...fat!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have read that the front springs have something to do with towing capability. I have a set of X codes and want to put them on my Ex, but I do some heavy towing from time to time and wonder if it will affect that. Does anyone have any insight on that?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:22 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Studawg
I have read that the front springs have something to do with towing capability. I have a set of X codes and want to put them on my Ex, but I do some heavy towing from time to time and wonder if it will affect that. Does anyone have any insight on that?
I saw a HUGE improvement in my Excursion from this spring swap. Stiffer is better IMO - it would take alot to be toooo stiff.

I saw an additional improvement when I installed Pro-Comp MX6 shocks. I keep them on stiffest setting...

You will likely need F350 rear blocks in place of your current ones to keep the rear of truck level - but I would swap front springs and all shocks and see exactly what ya need back there!

Old 02-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Thanks for the info. So if I put a heavy Ranch Hand bumper on the front, and nothing in the rear(like blocks), dont you think it will be level?

Old 03-01-2011, 01:15 AM
gilberto8117
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good. I was wondering what yr of truck wheels came off of??? I have a set of 18's that came off a 2006. My ex is a 2002 with v10. Did you need wheel spacers?
Thanks

Old 03-01-2011, 05:29 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Thanks for the info. So if I put a heavy Ranch Hand bumper on the front, and nothing in the rear(like blocks), dont you think it will be level?
Ranch Hand not really that heavy - but you'll have to try it and see what ya need!

looks good. I was wondering what yr of truck wheels came off of??? I have a set of 18's that came off a 2006. My ex is a 2002 with v10. Did you need wheel spacers?
Thanks
These are aftermarket wheels. No spacers (they are almost 10" WIDE already!)

I think you'd need spacers to use later-model wheels on an Excursion. IIRC, the Excursion kept the old wheel spacing thru 2005 - but without my 2nd cup of coffee, this may be completely WRONG! Lol.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:23 AM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
I have an Iron Bull front bumper and a 17,000lb winch that weigh around 300lbs and with the W codes I put on, the front still sits high.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Well I got a pair of used X codes, so maybe they will be a little saggy. Do u have anything in the rear of your x? like blocks?

Old 03-01-2011, 02:33 PM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
Well I got a pair of used X codes, so maybe they will be a little saggy. Do u have anything in the rear of your x? like blocks?
Do a spring bracket flip and you might gain enough to level it out... I think i got 2-3" by doing that. I then built soem lengthened shackles as well. If you do the rear bracket flip, you will gain flexability but lose some payload/towing capacity.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:02 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best front and rear springs for towing

Hey SkySkiJason, I have read a lot about swapping springs on the Ex to F250 springs but not sure what to get.

I don't want to raise my Ex up any but want the best set up for towing. I pull a 31 foot TT that grosses out at about 11,000 lbs.

I also read that if the F250 springs are put on then you don't need the Landyot Radius Rods.

Anyone know the real deal on a great suspension set up, like what year F250 donor to look for? My Ex is an '04 and I have 20" rims and 305/50's on it.

Thanks for all the info and keep the updates coming.......

Old 03-02-2011, 06:36 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Afaik, any of these spring swaps are gonna raise your truck. One of the things different about Excursion springs is they provided a lower stance - I've heard to make sure they fit in garages...

You prolly could swap rear springs and play with the spring pack(s) to get a better payload/more control and NOT raise the rear. Radius Rods may not be necessary then - perhaps RAS would be enough??

I will swap rear springs AND install my Landyot Radius Rods. I'm sure just getting rid of the Excursion swishy leafs will make 100% improvement in reducing axle wrap and rear-axle steer - but hopefully someday this thing will have ALOT more HP!!

What shocks are you using? Do have an upgraded anti-sway bar yet? Have you considered RAS? I'm thinking there may be some things you can do to 'stiffen' up the ride without swapping springs.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:53 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Afaik, any of these spring swaps are gonna raise your truck. One of the things different about Excursion springs is they provided a lower stance - I've heard to make sure they fit in garages...

You prolly could swap rear springs and play with the spring pack(s) to get a better payload/more control and NOT raise the rear. Radius Rods may not be necessary then - perhaps RAS would be enough??

I will swap rear springs AND install my Landyot Radius Rods. I'm sure just getting rid of the Excursion swishy leafs will make 100% improvement in reducing axle wrap and rear-axle steer - but hopefully someday this thing will have ALOT more HP!!

What shocks are you using? Do have an upgraded anti-sway bar yet? Have you considered RAS? I'm thinking there may be some things you can do to 'stiffen' up the ride without swapping springs.
Shocks....I think they are original, I have not replaced them

Sway Bar......I think it's original, not sure.

The truck already seems to sit up fairly high front and rear. Even with the 20" rims there is a lot of clearance in the wheel wells. It might look kinda stupid if it goes any higher.

I've done so many other mods recently I'm trying to keep the cost down and thought the spring swap might be the cheapest way to get better towing control.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
sort of on the same topic but have any of you put F350 springs on a V10 EX? or is the F250 rating the highest you guys would go?

Quick Reply: F250 front leaf springs ON! Also 325/60/18's - pics!