1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

making windshield for chop top

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 04:16 PM
choptop60
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up making windshield for chop top

i have a 60 f100 chopped i have a sheet of plexiglass just gotta wait for spring so it doesnt crack.also is the windshield the same as a 56?i'm still not sure what the easiest way to do it is get an old windshield and cut or make one.any advice is very appreciated. thanks

Old 12-03-2009, 04:52 PM
nordvik72
Senior User
If its anything like the 56 you could be in trouble trying to fit a windshield back in after a chop. Check out this post
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post7635895 Lots of good information and could keep allot of green in your pocket if you learn from the mistakes made. If your willing to use a Lexan window ive talked with a Guy from the Burbank Choppers Car club in California because i seen his choptop 56 and i asked how he fit his windshield and he said our best bet would be to buy a piece of lexan not pleiglass set it over the top of your stock windshield and use a heat gut to gently and slowly make the curves fit then use screws all the way around to fasten it down to your cab and glue the outside of your seal to cover up all the screws. His looked really good and i thought it was glass. You might have seen there episode on a show called HotRod TV before. Only thing is you cant use you windshield wipers because it will scratch.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:57 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<!-- google_ad_section_start -->this is something i recently did and posted on another site, its for a `55 but will give you some idea of what to do, first thing to do is wax the windshield twice with carabuya car wax (hope that spelled right) bought some fiberglass matting, cut 2 sheets 2 inches wider than the complete windshield, lay the matting onto the windshield, mix your resin according to instructions and lay it onto the matting with a brush, as your doing this roll the areas with resin, this causes the resin to go through both mattings and takes out the air bubbles, once your done rolling it and it all looks like its all penetrated through i bent some conduit i had laying around and cut up, clean with de-greaser,had some left over matting and fiberglassed the bars into the buck,when it is starting to get hard you can cut off the excess matting with a razor blade let it dry and peel it off the windshield, checked several times to see if the mold was the same as the windshield when taken off and it was perfect, put it on the truck, with little pieces of windshield rubber inplace and cut away to your opening until you can fit weatherstripping all around, now the buck can be layed on the windshield and you can make your windshield marks, i will be cutting mine with a portable tile saw later on when my project is almost done

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Old 12-03-2009, 05:41 PM
choptop60
Freshman User
thats real good info never thought of using fiberglass for a template.im gonna do that because i already know its gonna be a f'in mess tryin to make it and windshields and lexan arent cheap.thanks guys

Old 12-03-2009, 06:00 PM
nordvik72
Senior User
Before you make a template make sure you read through that thread because he did the same thing making a template from fiberglass and had his window cut down to the template but it still wouldnt fit because of the compount curves the only reason the pit stop was able to make his template fit was because his windshield dosent curve and narrow at the top.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:27 PM
choptop60
Freshman User
ok gottcha im gonna take my time and read it all i got all winter to study up on this.i wanna drive this damn truck this summer LOL this is the only thing i gotta do besides hook up tail lights.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:46 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Here is some interesting reading;
Cutting Windshields - Do It Yourself Hot Rod Kustom Website

This guy has a great website with good info, here's the link to the main page;
DIY - Do It Yourself - Do It Yourself Hot Rod Kustom Website

Bobby

Old 12-04-2009, 03:48 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check this one out from the hamb this is what i`m going to do when i cut mine!
Tech: Foolproof(almost)windshield cutting - THE H.A.M.B.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:16 PM
d mason
New User
A friend and I just did a 53 f 100. Trust me ! Cut the glass first! if the pinch weld isn't perfect .......the glass will break.......the glass will break !

don't waste money on a tile saw, been there done that......the back side of the blade will shatter the glass if you as much as twitch while trying to cut a straight line across 50-60 inches of curved glass. Go with a sandblaster and 6 hours of time and two windshields later.

http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54...indshield.html

just a thought:

i bought a set of diamond saber saw blades (about 3 inches long) first i tried one with an air cut off saw and the stroke was too short. i didn't like it, so i got out my old electric saber saw and with a little more forward pressure than i felt comfortable with the damn thing started cutting (with water) after about 6 inches i stopped and inspected the cut and it was straight but the cut edges had maybe 1/32" chips all along the edge. thats as far as i had time for but will report if i try a full run on the top of a test dummy windshield.
on a second attempt i cut about a 14 inch x 1.5 in. wide slice off the top of a windshield and i stopped because the sawing action shook the windshield too much (i didn't have anyone to hold it down) . as i tried to carve out to cut the waiste piece off ,the back of the blade cracked the needed side of glass .

Last edited by d mason; 03-06-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: add info
Old 02-19-2010, 11:35 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Lexan windows

We have made all the windows for a Super Late model we raced out of Lexan . One needs to carefully scribe in the pattern of the shape you want .Cut a little at a time and fasten with small button head bolts ,inside washers and nylox nuts .Start from the middle amd work out .
I made all the windows for a '70 cuda drag car out of Lexan but did it another way .You could make the windshield for your truck this way .I had 2 sets of glass windows for the windshield , rear window and door glass .Cut a piece of Lexan a little big for each . Took them to the local pizza place . Had them turn the oven down . Sandwiched the Lexan between the 2 pieces of glass and kept an eye on them . The pressure of the top glass will form the Lexan into the shape of the bottom glass . It worked great .

Old 02-20-2010, 11:51 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Lexan will scratch and pit like a mother...! Great for race cars, poor for street use. If it starts to rain while you are out with the truck, plan on leaving it parked until it stops, or replacing the platic when you get home. The plastic will also warp and wave with the bending and temp changes, looking out the windshield will be about like wearing someone else's glasses. The windshield is the downfall of many chopped vehicle projects, especially 56 and later when wrap around windshields came into vogue. If the chop was done without splitting and widening the top, GOOD LUCK! Anyone who tells you different has never tried it.
Pro's cut the glass FIRST then adjust the frame to match, it's a easy to change metal shape and curves, impossible to do with glass.
IMHO the best thing you can do is find another cab, cut the glass, then do the chop on the new cab.