1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Fuel Filter removal secret?

Old 11-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Avbird
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter removal secret?

All:

I thought I would pop a new fuel filter in this afternoon. Found the filter, popped the clamp off on the one side of the hose and I even pulled the little blue tab upward, but I can not get those hoses to let go of the filter on either side. Those hoses are on there good. Is there some trick to this that I am not thinking of?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving,
John

Old 11-27-2009, 06:04 PM
alloro
Received 4,174 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Go to an auto parts store and buy yourself the special tool needed to disconnect the fuel lines.

It looks like this:
Amazon.com: Westward 1EKE2 Disconnect Tool Set, Fuel Line: Automotive

Old 11-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Avbird
New User
Still on tight

I have a similar tool, but I can't get the fitting on the hose from the tank off. How does the tool work? Do you put it in the fitting and push away from the filter or do you try to open the tool to open the fitting up? I do my other cars but I don't need a tool. There is a little blue clamp on the fitting from the tank do I opened the middle of it so that its sticks up, but does that clamp come off? The fitting is hanging in there pretty well.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:07 AM
madsonp
Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Not sure what year your vehicle is but this might help you out. It's for a 04 F-150 but the actual removal of the filter should be the same, however you may not have the reset switch that's shown. Replacing The Fuel Filter 2004 And Newer F150 Pickups .: Articles

Picture 2 shows the tool needed (the little gray thing by the screwdrivers or you could get the type of tool that alloro pointed out). Picture 4 shows the tool in place (push towards the fuel line). It takes a little effort to get them off.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:46 AM
alloro
To relief pressure on the fitting, push the filter and hose together while pressing the tool into the fitting. Once the tool slides in, pull the hose and filter way from each other. Having 3 hands really helps with this.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Avbird
New User
Still stuck tight. Is it possible that I still have too much pressure in the system and that is causing the clamp to be too tight? I have tried pulling the clamp onto the tool but I am getting no where thus far.

Thanks

Old 11-29-2009, 01:43 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by Avbird
Still stuck tight. Is it possible that I still have too much pressure in the system
No because you've already disconnected one side of the filter there is no pressure in the system.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:07 AM
eallanboggs
Elder User
Ok this can be very frustrating even using the correct tool. Use jack stands for safety. Once the filter and hose come apart be ready to move out of the way quickly or you can get a few drops of gas in your eyes. You do need 3 hands as was already mentioned. Can you do more than one thing at the same time? It helps a lot here if you can. You have to be able to push the hose tightly into the filter on the side you're trying to release so you need to use one hand on the filter and the other on the hose pushing them towards each other while pushing the release tool into the filter to release the locking tabs(3) as the same time. If this sounds like a lot to do it is and that's why you need 3 hands. It sometimes helps to spin the filter once the release tool is pushed inward towards the filter to help release the lock tabs. You won't know for sure if you have sucessfully released the tabs until you attempt to separate the hose from the filter and find gas starting to drip down onto your face. If gas comes out you've had success. The second side is usually easier because you have more room to move the filter around once one side is released.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Avbird
New User
The job is done. If you try this, I highly recommend that you get the plastic tool that snaps on to the line. I didn't think the metal one fit right and a guy at the auto store said he had to grind his down to get it into the holes right. The plastic one goes into the fitting until you hear a snap, then try wiggiling the fuel line off the filter stem. Wow, what a pain in the rear for such a simple job.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
I thought I had read here previously that 2003 and up Expeditions don't need tools for the hose fittings, is that correct? I have the filter patiently waiting on my tool box to go in, just haven't gotten to it yet. It has been there so long that I can't find the thread that had this information in it. Releive the pressure in the system on the p/s fuel rail with the Schrader valve?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
I thought I had read here previously that 2003 and up Expeditions don't need tools for the hose fittings, is that correct?

Relieve the pressure in the system on the p/s fuel rail with the Schrader valve?
This thread?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...er#post1674383

Relieve the pressure by removing the fuel pump relay or fuse, then crank the engine for 10 seconds. This will relieve the pressure without the risk of spraying fuel.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:20 AM
eallanboggs
Elder User
You have to look at the fitting to see what type it is. There are many different ones. Many use the collar tool, but some Fords use a plastic clip which can be popped out using a thin blade screwdriver.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Thanks, I like the clean and dry method better than the spraying raw fuel method. I had seen that thread, but the one in my mind was no where to be found. I'm wondering if maybe it was a discussion that popped up in the middle of another thread. In any event, I've got enough information to be dangerous now, thanks for the response.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:22 PM
broncoholic
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
Thanks, I like the clean and dry method better than the spraying raw fuel method. I had seen that thread, but the one in my mind was no where to be found. I'm wondering if maybe it was a discussion that popped up in the middle of another thread. In any event, I've got enough information to be dangerous now, thanks for the response.
FWIW, I did the filter on my 03 last summer. No tools required. Just squeeze the colored pieces on the connector and pop it off.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:18 AM
vze2sgxa
Senior User
I sprayed both connector fittings the night before I removed the filter with PB Blaster. Next day, I used the tool mentioned above and both fittings popped out quickly. Put some compressed air in the discharge side of the filter to backflush it and you'll be amazed how much crud builds up inside it in just 20k miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Filter removal secret?