1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Album or Gallery

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:29 PM
rb48f6
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Album or Gallery

With my early New Years res in mind from another post to scan and upload to FTE pre-digi photos gathered, I'd like to know thoughts on the better way to go; Album on my CP page, or Gallery?

I've started some in albums as it was easy. Before too much time is spent popping pics in albums I'd like input on pro / cons of each. I did a search with those key words which resulted in 16 pages of threads and nothing obvious in titles.

To me the couple of galleries I've gone to seem a bit more cumbersome than an album, but maybe it's because the album is on my page. I'm a supporter so the benefit of loading pics to a post via gallery is nullified.

Thanks in advance for your constructive input... okay and a few potshots too....

Old 11-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by rb48f6
Thanks in advance for your constructive input...
I’m not sure that I really know the difference, both are a pain in the butt and confusing to me though.

I became a supporter to get away from the aggravation of using the gallery to try and put pictures in posts.

I guess you have to ask yourself what you want to use the pictures for. If it is just to store photos for possible posting, then wouldn’t (because you are a supporter) either a hard drive program (my pictures etc) or a off site (photo bucket etc) be easier or if you want your project photos to be variable for viewing by others on this site, then gallery/album?

Not that I know anything about the albums but anything (drawings in the dirt) would be easier then the gallery!

Old 11-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I an help you with that decision.

I spent an entire day downloading 500 photo's into my galleries here on FTE. After switching computers and now using Wondows Vista, I discovered that Vista will not allow mw to access the galleries, and actually shuts down my Internet Explorer, because FTE uses some type of addware or tracking cookie that Vista's security sweet will not allow.

Load into the albums on your user page.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:07 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
I don't think there is a difference. Somewhere in the Edit Gallery page it explains, there is supposed to be one Album designated as a Gallery Album, that is of your finished truck. Not supposed to include progress pics, "tech" stuff, etc. That automatically gets rolled up onto a Gallery page accessible from the menu bar at the top of the page. Any tech stuff, progress pics, misc. stuff, goes into Albums designated as Tech Albums, and they don't show in the Gallery. There is no difference in how you load pictures to them, either.

Personal opinion, if I wanted to post 500 pics, I'd open an account on Photobucket. You can also put videos there. Then you can link to the pics/videos on here.

By the way, the flip side of Supporters being able to load pictures directly to posts is that once you post a picture in one thread, you can't post it ever again! You'd have to change it (size or resolution) and rename it. That's a big PITA as many times as turn signal and wiring questions appear on here.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
We all do our thing Ross. At the time this was done FTE only had galleries and didn't have the Albums. For those of us who post photo's regularly, we have seen the evolution on a weekly basis, and noted that the albums now have steadily krept there way into takin gover photo posting here. In all honesty, if I had to have a multitude of different accounts to hassle through, to post pictures here, I'd probably just stop. And I think the photo's and access to the reference albums provides a significant contribution.

Plus, having the photo's loaded in an area on board the site affords the other members to reference the photos at will, or have one member refere another to the album for a picture really helps folks out.

Problem is with the site adware and the Vista security suite. And there is nothing to say next week it won't stop taking photo bucket imports either.

BTW they have fixed the download restriction on photo's - you can download the same picture as many times as you want now.

This site as good as it is because of the informatin from members, has ALWAYS had horrific processes wrt posting photo's. And once you learn the current system, your fine - but it changes and to try to minimize the effects of those changes is a good plan to follow.