1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

96 vs. 97 Coolant Capacity...???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 AM
white-horse
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice signature 95 dually. Family of 4,,,saved by grace, amen!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:04 AM
white-horse
Junior User
Amen brother! Yeah, I use this site now and then to learn new things. Not too much lately. I was on it often when I first got my truck about a year ago. Anyway, yes I only use the King James, everything else is corrupt and false. Do you attend a good local bible believing church?

Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 AM
white-horse
Junior User
good question,,,and good point!!!

Originally Posted by jleal_21
why do we need the additive on our trucks?

Old 02-24-2014, 08:35 AM
PatricktheFWBaptist
New User
Originally Posted by white-horse
Amen brother! Yeah, I use this site now and then to learn new things. Not too much lately. I was on it often when I first got my truck about a year ago. Anyway, yes I only use the King James, everything else is corrupt and false. Do you attend a good local bible believing church?
AMEN, all other versions are a perversion, many call Jesus lucifer as well as remove whole verses.

We are in the process of changing churches at the moment, but the one we are switching to seems to believe what the Bible teaches. The one we are leaving has a preacher that loves to preach from his commentary bible .....

Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 AM
white-horse
Junior User
Yeah,,,some commentaries are good, if the author remains true and faithful to what the bible teaches. But, yes, we need to be careful on what is written by man. Hold everything up to scripture. It's getting tougher to find a "good" bible-believing church today, one that holds solid and true to doctrine. II Tim. 3:16. What area are you from?

Old 02-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Regarding the total capacity of your cooling system. I believe the total is 8 gallons. Or 32 quarts.

A common reason that is messed up is because you don't get ALL of the liquid out of the engine block when you drain it. Many people do not remove the engine block plugs to fully drain the system (even then I still don't think you get it all).

Here is a link to Gooch's coolant flush procedure which I believe is the most well known and accepted write-up for flushing our engine's coolant.

It even has a good explanation of the SCA/DCA (Supplement Coolant Additive or Diesel Coolant Additive) and reasons for them.
He has links to a photobucket with pictures of the engine block plugs and stuff.
Coolant changing instructions... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Old 02-24-2014, 08:53 AM
PatricktheFWBaptist
New User
Yeah,,,some commentaries are good, if the author remains true and faithful to what the bible teaches. But, yes, we need to be careful on what is written by man. Hold everything up to scripture. It's getting tougher to find a "good" bible-believing church today, one that holds solid and true to doctrine. II Tim. 3:16. What area are you from?
I'm over in northeast TN

Oh yeah it is hard to find a true Holy Ghost lead church, most are ear ticklers, really have to find a place with good youth for my 4 year old to be around.

I'm just about to head outside and change my water pump, I'm going to be a cheap O and use a used one off another engine I have laying around (I know it was working)...

Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 AM
white-horse
Junior User
That is an excellent point, thanks for adding that in. It makes good sense that there is remaining fluid in the block. I did not do a full drain that way either,,,i'm sure most don't as it is a lot of work. (everything is a lot of work if you don't have a nice big clean, bright, heated garage fully stocked with tools and a lift!)

Old 02-24-2014, 09:06 AM
white-horse
Junior User
Originally Posted by PatricktheFWBaptist
I'm over in northeast TN

Oh yeah it is hard to find a true Holy Ghost lead church, most are ear ticklers, really have to find a place with good youth for my 4 year old to be around.

I'm just about to head outside and change my water pump, I'm going to be a cheap O and use a used one off another engine I have laying around (I know it was working)...
Hey brother, I hear TN is the most "bible" state in America. Your fortunate to live there. Here in New England,,,a preachers nightmare, is tuff turf! Everybody here is "all set" nobody has time for the Lord, all too busy. Will they be too busy the day the Lord shows up? I doubt it. Every knee shall bow...Romans 14:11. Not to mention, here in New England,,,winters stink!!! Especially this one,,,,lots of snow, ice, cold, and SALT. I hate salty, wet, crusty roads. Lots of salt this year. I'm going through a lot of fluid film to keep it protected. Amen.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:35 AM
PatricktheFWBaptist
New User
Hey brother, I hear TN is the most "bible" state in America. Your fortunate to live there. Here in New England,,,a preachers nightmare, is tuff turf! Everybody here is "all set" nobody has time for the Lord, all too busy. Will they be too busy the day the Lord shows up? I doubt it. Every knee shall bow...Romans 14:11. Not to mention, here in New England,,,winters stink!!! Especially this one,,,,lots of snow, ice, cold, and SALT. I hate salty, wet, crusty roads. Lots of salt this year. I'm going through a lot of fluid film to keep it protected. Amen.
Ohh well there are many many church "buildings" but many are lead by wolves. Loads of people around here make time for "religion".

I personally like the cold, but not the salt and this year I don't have a 4x4 now that my xploder took a dump. Phil 2:10 "That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the earth;
And [that] every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ [is] Lord, to the glory of God the Father." AMEN!

Old 02-24-2014, 12:17 PM
bryanlindborg600
Senior User
Originally Posted by PatricktheFWBaptist
Ohh well there are many many church "buildings" but many are lead by wolves. Loads of people around here make time for "religion".

I personally like the cold, but not the salt and this year I don't have a 4x4 now that my xploder took a dump. Phil 2:10 "That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the earth;
And [that] every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ [is] Lord, to the glory of God the Father." AMEN!
im glad you guys are happy but maybe you should have these talks in pm not in the middle of a thread on coolant!

Old 02-24-2014, 12:36 PM
white-horse
Junior User
Originally Posted by bryanlindborg600
im glad you guys are happy but maybe you should have these talks in pm not in the middle of a thread on coolant!
Yeah, I keep going between topics. Sorry, I'll keep this to "coolant related". Anything else (outside of ford trucks) will schedule otherwise.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 AM
white-horse
Junior User
Hey man, there is probably about 32 qts. total. Like I mentioned, about 22 qts came out of my radiator. But,,,,there is a bit more in the engine block. I personally don't think you ever have to "go the distance" and do an all out drain of the engine (unless you have problems!), but just a good radiator drain and flush will do wonders. The green walmart stuff is perfect, but if you like spending money and it makes you feel better, get official Ford brand motorcraft coolant (green). The volume that comes out, put back in. Of course, top off to the proper level. AND DON'T FORGET TO ADD THE COOLANT ADDITIVE! 3 BOTTLES,,,GET IT AT THE FORD DEALER.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Everyone has their opinion what is worth it based on price and other parameters, but quite a few (including me) think the Fleet Charge (pink colored) is the best way if you are doing a full flush.

I didnt do the complete engine block drain.
I found it simple and effective to:
Drain the bottom of the radiator.
Fill with distilled water.
Run it a little.
Drain again.
Fill with distilled water.
Drain.
I repeated this process until it was basically clear (about 3-4 times). After that I felt comfortable enough that it was mostly just distilled water left in my system.

After that I followed Gooch's instructions and got the Concentrated strength of fleet charge.

His instructions say 4 gallons of concentrate with 4 gallons of distilled is a 50/50 mix.
I ended up using 4 gallons of concentrate and approximately 3 gallons of distilled since there was water left in my engine block. My gauge thing said its at the right freezing point and the SCA read correctly.

Here is a link to the Fleet Charge I am talking about: Fleet Charge® Fleet Charge Antifreeze, 1 gal. - Tractor Supply Co.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 AM
PatricktheFWBaptist
New User
Has anyone tried...

Has anyone tried "Evans cooling" it's a completely different coolant, and VERY EXPENSIVE...
I've read about it, but I've never heard from a person that actually shelled out the money for it.

I could only dump just under 5 gallons back into my 96 after putting on a water pump. I did bother to do a video of it if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: 96 vs. 97 Coolant Capacity...???