Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runs poorly, lesson in fuel systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:19 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah man, the mud here was rated number one in the country. There is so much of it, and during the season, it is heavy and thick. Ive been around to many places to run mud, and while the florida boys have some cool stuff, and many other places in the south have thick clay, it is just not as forgiving as this stuff.
Silt from the fresh water reservior can build up and will create some awesome mud as far as the eye can see. It is unpredictable and has a mind of its own. I swear it is alive, and can swallow any vehicle. Unfortunately, it has taken its toll on some vehicles, and swallowed complete trucks. Oh yeah, since the location is inside of a natural reservior, and fed ny running water runoff, it means that we are sitting right on the water table. Moving water is everywhere, and if you are in the right spot, you will find something smilar to quicksand, only,,,,,,,,its mud. Yup, this has taken entire vehciles and swalloed them up.
This stuff is so interesting that if you stand in one sopt for too long, you will sink. Shoes are often lost in the muck, and people often get stuck.
Wish I could explain to the point of how extreme this stuff is, but it is awesome to say the least.

I ran a dual clutch set up and now run a tripple set up from Crower. It works better than the dual did when I get it real hot, but the double was not lacking any thing here. I was given the parts from a pulling guy and he suggested that I try this. Smaller discs help with throttle control since the gas pedal is so much more responsive with smaller clutches. I in turn gave my buddy some parts that he needed.
As I recall these clutch set ups run upwards of 1500 bucks, and the billet flywheel is also a pretty penny. So much for budgets huh?
One thing that does not give up is the clutch(es) on this truck. It just does not happen, and is less likely to explode like a single disc set up would.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:31 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ed, wasn't the jeep that got it's top completely pulled off by some.. less than intelligent extractors..in that mud that you guys play in?

Old 11-24-2009, 12:54 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by captain p4
Ed, wasn't the jeep that got it's top completely pulled off by some.. less than intelligent extractors..in that mud that you guys play in?

Exactly! You remember that? PTO Dave and I had to extract the chassis after the body came off of that truck. Dave had to use his PTO and needed me as a dead man. I burried my truck and it still pulled both of us out as it was pulling the Jeep. That was an interesting day.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:59 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
haha definitely ed.. that level of stupidity is hard to forget. I didn't know you were the ones that ended up extracting him though, that's kinda cool.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:41 PM
kjett
Post Fiend
How the heck did they rip the body off like that? Hook the winch cable to the floor board? It sucks, but it is funny.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kjett
How the heck did they rip the body off like that? Hook the winch cable to the floor board? It sucks, but it is funny.

Its a bit complicated, and to the credit of the guys making the attempt the first time, I do have to say that the theory was sound, it was a very poor recovery execution that got them in trouble.

This Jeep has chevy power, and everyone knows that a Jeep with a chebby engine cant ever get stuck right? I mean its just a rule that everyone knows. (Rolls eyes)
So these cats were out having a good time and got the Jeep stuck. Fine and dandy, but the recovery vehicles could not pull the Jeep from the front, nor could they from the rear.
Keep in mind that the Jeep is sinking every time that they make a recovery attempt. See once you wiggle a little, the mud moves and the support is lost. This is how the trucks sink in this coll stuff. So anyway, the Jeep is sinking with every recovery attempt, and one guy makes a great run at it, and reaches the end of his rope, and BAM! The rear blocks under his leaf springs come out, and send parts flying. Driveshaft, yoke, and oh yeah, the blocks, are somewhere in the mud. All of the people that are with these guys are climbing around in the mud looking for the blocks.
Yes, this is comedy hour.
So some time passes, and the people walking around in the mud find it difficult to walk in this mud after they have been standing for a while, and that the mud has incredible suction. Once the suction is broken, extraction in much easier.
Light bulb goes on in someone head, and decides that of this theory works for people, it must work for Jeeps. They decide to apply this newly found knowledge and pull the Jeep from the side. This is a simple attempt to break the over powering suction that the mud has on this Jeep.
Together they decide to wrap a rope around the top of the roll cage, and pull like the dickens.
errrr,,,,ummmmmm,,well,,,,,,,,:

Recovery is an applied art. It can be difficult to comprehend the forces invlolved with such a recovery. Many of us have suitable recovery equipment, and others, well, they are comic relief.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems that it would take a great deal of effort to rip a body off. But I guess not.

That is the second Jeep i've seen that has had the body ripped off of. Another one was trying to pull from the side to break the suction. Not a great idea. Perhaps from a front or rear bumper.. the one I saw was hooked to the roll bar lol.

Edit:
And I guess the same thing happened in this case! ROFL!

Old 11-24-2009, 10:13 PM
kjett
Post Fiend
I guess no one told them that body lifts use grade 5 bolts. lol. Oh, and I guess that no one told them that Jeep sport bars are only attached to the body and not the frame. Another hard lesson learned for them...

Old 11-24-2009, 10:18 PM
79Ford4x4
Elder User
Man i feel sorry for that guy but can't help but laugh. Was the cage not tied into the frame any? Can't see any mounts from the pictures

Old 11-24-2009, 10:30 PM
kjett
Post Fiend
Nope the factory "sport bars" on the Jeeps are only bolted to the body. Has the owner spent a little more time working on the safety items like tying in that cage, that putting a chebby in, the side pull might have worked.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:31 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
To the credit of the bolts holding the body to the frame, they did not break, instead the bolts pulled through the mounts. Some pulled through the body and some the frame, but for the most part the bolts remained in tact.
Now that sport bar is obviously there for decoration..........lol.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:36 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
i watched the video of this and nearly pissed myself laughing...comic relief is an understatement...although i have to admit it is a good idea, in theory, not so well in practice...the roll cage was only tied to the body of the jeep...not only that but they pulled from the highest point of the roll cage...that amount of leverage combined with the tug he gave it (he hit it pretty hard) placed directly on 4? bolts that i can see, he has (had) a body lift so they were grade 5 bolts to boot!...

if the rollcage was tied directly to the frame i could see that working...have one truck pulling from the side like they did to break the suction then one from the front to pull at the same time...

but that has to be the biggest FAIL in recoveries i have ever seen...well that on and the other one (involving a heep of course, what is it with those guys anyway) got stuck in a deep ditch in a quarrey, the pull truck was a big *** built up diesel ford that was up on the roadway, so it was about 8 feet above the jeep, and pulling forward on an angle...and eventually that big ford ripped the heep out of there...minus the front axle, which didnt move, at all LOL

Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Sound theory my ***. If the body didn't rip i'm sure they could have managed to roll it. LOL.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:50 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
well if they just pulled on it enough to break the suction it would have come out nicely...but i didnt think of that, even if the roll bars was bolted to the frame their limited intelligence would still have insisted on mo skinny pedal and then the whole damn heep would have been on its side rather than just half of it LOL...

oh BTW...barbie called she wants her jeep back...well maybe not after those guys are done with it! LOL

Old 11-25-2009, 09:18 AM
79Ford4x4
Elder User
where is this video, would love to see it

Quick Reply: Runs poorly, lesson in fuel systems