1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Hard Starting when warm

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 AM
stevorino
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Starting when warm

Howdy Gents, I have a problem. My truck has been acting up when I start it, but only when I've driven it a few miles and then I shut it down and have to restart it, like when filling up. I have to crank it quite a bit before it will start. The CEL acts normal and I have checked around the IPR for leaking and there does not appear to be any oil. I just recently removed the amsoil filter system I had on the truck after I found that the oil was about 4 quarts too low. I can't believe it was actually running with it that low. Anyway, I'm not so sure about the whole amsoil setup after that. Back to Rotella for me. The truck runs fine otherwise. Any ideas about what it could be?

Old 11-16-2009, 12:38 AM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine has always been slower to start when warm. Not a big issue. I guess I'll get it narrowed down at some point.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
A cheap test is to remove the IPR & note the condition of the O ring on the small end

Name:  IPR without edge.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  3.0 KBThere is an o ring backer with a cut in it , that is supposed to be there ...

Old 11-16-2009, 07:09 PM
stevorino
Senior User
I think I may have found a better reason than the IPR. It appears I have a fuel leak. My fuel bowl and regulator are only 2 years old and my fuel pump is about 3 years old, but I don't really trust these fuel pumps completely. I'm thinking perhaps the fuel pump is not getting the pressure up to where it is supposed to be from the start. I bet that's why it takes a few cranks to get it going. Now it's even hard to start when it's cold.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:51 AM
StrokerJoe
Freshman User
I had a similar problem back in August with my truck. It would start just fine in morning after it been sitting all night, but once the truck was warm it would crank over longer than normal. Was not long and the problem got worse to where it did not matter if the engine was hot or cold, and then got to the point where it would not even fire up. Had to use starting fluid which got it to go the few times before I took it into the stealership to have them diagnose and find the problem. Once the truck fired up it ran ok from what I was use to. Before I took it in, I replaced the IPR o ring thinking that might be my problem, but it was not. Had a mechanic at a garage tell me that is was probably my ICP sensor, but a quick way to rule it out is to unplug it and try to start the truck and in my case it was not the ICP. I did a lot research trying to diagnose what it could be and with no luck I finally took it into the stealership. Problem turned out to be a blown o ring one of the injectors. This was causing oil to leak past the injector and as it gradually got worse it was making it harder for the HPOP to build enough pressure to pop the injectors while cranking over the motor since the blown o ring on the one injector was causing a loss oil pressure feeding the injectors. Once the truck would fire up the HPOP would put out enough oil pressure that would overcome the loss of oil pressure from the blown o ring. Once I got the truck back I could tell it ran a whole lot better too. Anyways an injector o ring could be what is causing your problem. My HPOP reservoir was also slowing draining down prior to fixing this problem, and was due to the blown injector o ring. Check your HPOP reservoir to see if you have any drain back going on. Good luck to you and hope you find your problem. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 11-22-2009, 03:42 PM
stevorino
Senior User
I figured it out, the oring at the end of the ipr was bad. Amazing how a little thing like that can affect everything. Runs and starts a lot better now. I think I will be changing out the icp sometime soon as a preventative measure.