Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Definitive 2WD Excursion Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
JC Whitney, Summit Racing, or Jegs even would be the sites I'd look at.

Eshocks.com or shockwarehouse.com for the shocks.

Stewart

Old 04-06-2011, 01:20 AM
loleuiha
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
JC Whitney, Summit Racing, or Jegs even would be the sites I'd look at.

Eshocks.com or shockwarehouse.com for the shocks.

Stewart
Thank you Stewart but Im still lost. I don't know the measurements of the sway bar I can use. Do you have the part number for the sway bar you ordered from J.C. Whitney? Maybe I can just order that same one? Sorry to bother.

Thanks again

Laki

Old 10-04-2011, 11:13 AM
ex2k
Junior User
I have had these springs on my truck for about 6 months when I had to tow a 5'x12' trailer from IL to FL. In southern GA my A/C started dying out. I looked underneath at a rest area I saw that the top curved leaf had raised up and hit the rear A/C lines causing the refrigerant to leak out. The weird thing is it looked like the back end only dropped a couple inches lower with the trailer and full load but I guess it was enough to cause contact.

Since I never use the third row (dont even have it installed) I was planning to just block off the lines to the rear on the PS fender and get heater hoses for a Excursion w/o rear heat. I assume that the front A/C is up to cooling the front two rows?

Anyone else had this problem?

Name:  exspring.jpg
Views: 6971
Size:  49.6 KB

Old 10-04-2011, 08:46 PM
92nat
New User
I was going to be installing these tomorrow and now I am hesitant. I tow a 24ft car hauler with mine and if yours was only towing a 12ft something is up. Was the trailer very heavy on the tongue? Maybe a couple large bumps sent it screaming up into the lines? I was thinking of covering my lines in some 3/4-1" heater hose and also something on the lip of that top leaf. Their dosnt seem to be any room for bending those lines out the way as i thought there would be.

I was even contemplating cutting that top leaf back on that side. Im not to sure how that top leaf actually does anything as it does not have 2 contact points on the leafs below to distribute its tension.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 PM
labman1014
Elder User
It looks like he installed the wrong b code. The one ending in "ca" I believe has the overload on top that will hit the ac line. There is one ending in "cb" that doesn't have the top overload. That needs to be taken out if u can or u run the chance of hitting the ac lines!!!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:19 PM
92nat
New User
What is the part # for the "cb" leafs? I purchased the part # in the OP and mine have the "overload" leaf too. If prefer to get the right leaf then hack these new ones up.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by labman1014
It looks like he installed the wrong b code. The one ending in "ca" I believe has the overload on top that will hit the ac line. There is one ending in "cb" that doesn't have the top overload. That needs to be taken out if u can or u run the chance of hitting the ac lines!!!
Good catch! I hadn't realized the OP installed the "CA" springs until you posted.

Stewart

Old 10-05-2011, 01:44 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 92nat
What is the part # for the "cb" leafs? I purchased the part # in the OP and mine have the "overload" leaf too. If prefer to get the right leaf then hack these new ones up.
Same as the "CA" part number, just with a "CB" on the end.

Rear B code springs: Part #3C3Z-5560-CB

Stewart

Old 10-05-2011, 05:04 AM
ex2k
Junior User
Dont think I installed the wrong ones per the OP, the part # referenced in the beginning of this thread is 3C3Z-5560-CA and that part number checks over to the VIN he has listed.

If it is the wrong part can the OP update the original info on the front page? I dont want this to happen to anyone else. I have to stick to these springs since I dont want to spend $550.00 bucks to get the CB springs.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:39 AM
eschmidt155
Freshman User
Is the part number stamped on the springs?

Empty my Excursion sits approx 35 1/2 in the front and almost 39 in the rear.

With my approx 7550 lb V-nose car hauler its 36 front and rear.

I bought the Ex used about 5 months ago. It's a 7.3 with 180,000 miles.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Joe28443
Joe28443
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am still debating the spring swap and today I loaded up a small 4 x 8 trailer with 4 50lb bags of sand and had the smoothest ride I have had in a while. I may end up putting them in the back for weight. If I could just duplicate that feel with some springs I would be set!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:51 PM
92nat
New User
I've got my local dealer getting me these CB leafs and will be installing them next week hopefully. They are almost 30$ cheaper each compared to the CA's. New leafs were a no brainer to me since my stocker's were already sagging and wasnt looking to do a 6" lift.

I'm going to be installing a Daystar 2" front leveling kit & Fabtech 1" spacers/Ubolts to gain a ~3"F/4"R Lift. I feel this was a smarter option using the factory leafs and coils and I wanted to maintain a slight rake since my truck sees towing duties pretty often.

My only concern is these CB leafs wont get me the 3" lift as the OP and others have seen. Can anyone yet verify the CB leafs giving the same height and ride quality?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:32 PM
92nat
New User
Well I got my setup installed today and I am AMAZED at how nice the truck rides. Its certainly not "school bus" stiff as I was thinking it would be. Got about 3.5" on the back and 2 3/4" up front with the setup i posted above.

For those having a hard time finding longer u-bolts you can get them from FABTECH and they are BEEFY!

U-bolt Kit - FTS351UBK
1" Block Kit - FTSBK1

Instead of grinding on the spindle for more adjustment I got camber blocks from Advance Auto. Manufacturer MOOG - K8974 1 Degree. They got the wheels almost perfect but I will have a definite answer later in the week when my buddy can squeeze me in for a true alignment. Moog does make a global adjustment piece part # K80108 but it is a little more pricey but goes from 0-3 degrees so you will always have enough play.

I did use the "CB" leafs and they fit great MINUS having to hack about a 1 1/4 inches of the passengers "slapper/support" leaf on the very bottom of the leaf stack. It was pushed hard into the MBRP 4" exhaust im running. Once I get a alignment done and wash the truck up I'll post some pics

Old 05-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Renegade EX
New User
I've been a reader here for a while and have just recently become a member. I have the spring-thing going on and been trying to wrap my head around all the info. This has been a very helpful thread for 2wd spring upgrades. It's a no-brainer for the rear B's.... other than whether to do a spring mod or the block approach. The front Z's seem to be a good upgrade too.

I'm definitely wanting to improve the stability/firmness of the ride. If I can add 2"-4" lift to level or create a slight rake, that will be even better.

What's the weight rating on the Z's? Has anyone plugged in the heavier F350 springs that are rated at 6000# ? (I don't know their code). I will probably need a spacer to achieve the lift but, more importantly, I want to make sure I have plently of spring. Any new thoughts since this thread was first developed would be appreciated.

Also, can't say enough good things about Stewart_H and Toreador Diesel sharing their knowledge.

Last edited by Renegade EX; 05-13-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: name correction
Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I checked an '05 f250 a couple weekends ago..
Both crewcab w/6l, front axle weights on door sticker read:
Z-code. 4850 (or 4800 don't recall).
Y-code. Was 100 lbs less.

I think i also saw an x-code with 4400 lb.

Remember codes changed for model year 2005 for the front coils, even for 2wd vs. Earlier years.

Quick Reply: The Definitive 2WD Excursion Suspension Upgrade