Sponsored by:

The Definitive 2WD Excursion Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ex2k
Question on the shocks, I cannot find these part numbers anyplace on bilsteins site or at their dealers. However when I looked at their site they listed these part numbers for the example vehicle, the "2003 Ford F-350 2WD 7.3L Crew Cab single drive wheels".
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here.

Why do you want to find the part numbers at the Bilstein website? You can't order directly off of the Bilstein page so it's not set up for sales, but more towards marketing.

Front: F4-BE5-2815-H0
Rear: F4-BE5-2816-H1
Those are Bilstein part numbers. Any of their authorized dealers (Eshocks, Shockwarehouse, etc) will usually have that number listed.

Bilstein Front Shocks -- Bilstein # NS76684 or 76684
Bilstein Rear Shocks -- Bilstein # NS76517 or 76517
Those are not Bilstein part numbers. Whether or not they are the same shock cannot be determined without knowing what part house is providing the shock. Once you know that, you can contact the part house and ask them to cross-reference their in-house number with Bilsteins part number to confirm if it's the same shock.

Stewart

Old 12-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Dale Seeley
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read EX2K's original post again Stewart, you'll find you are agreeing with him.

He looked for the part numbers listed in the first post, couldn't find them at the Bilstein or any Bilstein dealers website. He then did the research to get the correct Bilstein numbers. He was asking the original poster (I'm assuming) if the Bilstein numbers he found match up with the numbers on the boxes the OP had, assuming the OP bought his Bilsteins from a shop that uses their own part numbering system (like Rock Auto). With that info, anyone could call anyplace that carries Bilstein parts and order the correct parts without much trouble at all.

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here.

Why do you want to find the part numbers at the Bilstein website? You can't order directly off of the Bilstein page so it's not set up for sales, but more towards marketing.

Those are Bilstein part numbers. Any of their authorized dealers (Eshocks, Shockwarehouse, etc) will usually have that number listed.

Those are not Bilstein part numbers. Whether or not they are the same shock cannot be determined without knowing what part house is providing the shock. Once you know that, you can contact the part house and ask them to cross-reference their in-house number with Bilsteins part number to confirm if it's the same shock.

Stewart

Old 12-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Dale Seeley
He looked for the part numbers listed in the first post
That was the missing piece.

I hadn't read the OP's original post in a while and now see when ex2k stated "Question on the shocks, I cannot find these part numbers anyplace" he was referring to the part numbers in the OP's post, not the first ones (the Bilstein part numbers) he listed in his post.

If he had quoted the OP's post Ida been ok. Thanks for helping me out.

Stewart

Old 12-29-2010, 06:31 PM
ex2k
Junior User
That is correct, I was hoping either the OP or someone else who had done the mod to confirm the part numbers I found are the right ones.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:52 AM
loleuiha
Senior User
Originally Posted by tdlpps
I purchased my 2003 Excursion 7.3L 2WD when it was two years old with 21,000 miles on it. I bought it specifically to tow with and to use when my family and their friends equaled more than any of our other cars could hold.

It has been an excellent vehicle and now has 63,000 miles. The three trailers it regularly tows include a twelve foot flat bed trailer for motorcycles only, an eighteen foot boat, and a 26 foot toy hauler used to dry camp in the desert 10 - 15 times a year. The boat and flatbed trailers were handled without a problem and at freeway speeds the Excursion was acceptably smooth and comfortable. The toy hauler, however, was another story. I have pulled it successfully dozens of times, including a trip from Southern California to Las Vegas, but I've also had many scary moments when coming down the Cajon Pass, or been in heavy (40+ mph) crosswinds, or when being passed by a semi and feeling the trailer being pulled into the truck's lane.

In all cases, the trailer felt as if it was in charge of the truck, not the other way around. There are plenty of threads that give detailed information about upgrading to F-Series "V" and "B" code springs for 4WD Excursions but the answer given to 2WD owners was to install a set of F-350 2WD springs onto their vehicles, but usually very little else. My Excursion did not come from the factory with a rear anti-sway bar.

This thread will not be a step-by-step guide to replacing 2WD springs, instead it is intended to provide the missing Ford and aftermarket part numbers and codes when it comes to upgrading the front and rear suspension. When I called my local Ford dealer and told them what I was looking for, they acted as though they couldn't help me without a VIN number. My Vin wouldn't do, I needed the VIN of the truck I wanted to emulate. I eventually found the VIN of a truck on a used car lot add that matched my intended application perfectly.

VIN 1FTSW30F23EA42609 (2003 Ford F-350 2WD 7.3L Crew Cab single drive wheels) Spring Code "Z" in front, Spring Code "B" in rear, according to the VIN plate.

Front Spring Part # -- 2C3Z-5310-WA (Z Code)
Rear Spring Part # -- 3C3Z-5560-CA (B Code)
Bilstein Front Shocks -- Bilstein # NS76684 or 76684
Bilstein Rear Shocks -- Bilstein # NS76517 or 76517
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar -- Hellwig # HW7643

You will not need rear spring blocks from the F-350; the rear height on my Excursion gained three inches with these springs alone. You will, however, need u-bolts that are 1 1/2" longer than the Excursion rear bolts because the new springs are 1 1/2" taller than the originals. I purchased four take off u-bolts from a Four-Wheel Drive shop that specializes in lifting new or near new trucks for $8.00 each.

The work, including front and rear springs, front and rear shocks and installation of the rear sway bar, took two of us about five hours from start to finish. We did have access to a lift and air tools. None of the work was particularly difficult, but removing and moving leaf springs into place is difficult alone. The new rear springs have four nearly full-sized leafs and a helper leaf on both the top and bottom and are probably twenty-five pounds heavier than the OE springs. We took our time and torqued everything down to specs and had to enlarge the elongated holes on the hellwig mounting plate because they were too small as they came.

The results were excellent. When empty the ride is noticeably firmer, but not rough or uncomfortable. There is no wallow at freeway speeds or when a load shift occurs while turning. The flat bed and boat do not affect the ride quality or ride height at all. With the Toy Hauler, the rear drops down to a level attitude under its weight with a WD hitch and is much, much more stable at freeway speeds and while under braking and when going downhill. It is now as it should have been from the factory.
Question??? Will these spring work on my 2000 Ex as well???

Thank you and sorry for bring this thread back to life...

Old 03-12-2011, 02:49 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by loleuiha
Question??? Will these spring work on my 2000 Ex as well???
Yes.

Stewart

Old 03-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tdlpps

The wheel gaps look similar to my all stock 03 4x2 7.3. I also notice the push and pull of a semi passing me while pulling the TT and boat. I am building a sway bar for the rear this spring before camping season to help it out. I don't want any higher of a ride height at all. It sits level as it is now with the TT hooked up.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:35 PM
fgials
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I need to do this to my truck! Where did you get your springs?

Old 03-13-2011, 06:07 PM
loleuiha
Senior User
Yes.

Stewart
Cool Thank You so much!!!!! I will do this mod very soon Ill keep you updated...

Old 03-17-2011, 02:21 AM
loleuiha
Senior User
A couple more questions? Where do I get these springs from? The Dealer? And the Bilstien shocks? Dealer as well? Also The Hellwig sway bar. I haven a clue where to look online for them. Or does the dealer have all? Sorry to ask. But I just need to know so I know where to look.

Loleuiha

Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Shocks can be purchased at eshocks.com

I got my springs from my local dealer, but I also knew the parts manager and he gave me a big discount.

You MIGHT have better luck going through PartsGuyEd.com But the shipping would probably kill you.

I got my Helwig through JC Whitney.

Stewart

Old 04-01-2011, 01:28 PM
loleuiha
Senior User
Shocks can be purchased at eshocks.com

I got my springs from my local dealer, but I also knew the parts manager and he gave me a big discount.

You MIGHT have better luck going through PartsGuyEd.com But the shipping would probably kill you.

I got my Helwig through JC Whitney.

Stewart

Thank you Stewart Im going to my Local dealer to get prices on the Springs..

Laki

Old 04-02-2011, 09:54 AM
delzy
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-06-2011, 12:21 AM
loleuiha
Senior User
Thank you Stewart Im going to my Local dealer to get prices on the Springs..

Laki
Stewart, I bought springs from Santa Clara Truck wreckers. I hope I bought the right ones they are off the f-350 super duty. Leafs have an overload spring on it. I sure hope i didnt get the wrong ones I also got the coil springs for the front. Now Im searching for the shocks and hellwig sway bar. Help me please....

Thank you,

Laki

Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 AM
loleuiha
Senior User
Stewart, I bought springs from Santa Clara Truck wreckers. I hope I bought the right ones they are off the f-350 super duty. Leafs have an overload spring on it. I sure hope i didnt get the wrong ones I also got the coil springs for the front. Now Im searching for the shocks and hellwig sway bar. Help me please....

Thank you,

Laki
Ok I found the shocks. But what vehicle information do I need to use to find the right Sway bar??? Freak this is giving me a migrane. lol. Any help will do.

Thanks

Laki

Quick Reply: The Definitive 2WD Excursion Suspension Upgrade