2 questions...oil leak and oil psi 300 I6...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 01:36 AM
86sixbanger
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 9.ford.5
yeah i got it fixed...only missed 1 class!...who needs social anyway right?

found a vac line unplugged, didnt fix it

all the sensors and plugs were tight

after 2 hours of tracing wires i found a wire that had corroded away on the inside so the insulation was still good, i must have broke the connection when i did the lifter cover

and i never thought...last night after the lifter cover i was gonna drive it out and put it in the street on 5 cylinders (broken spark plug remember) but it wouldnt start? i didnt think much of it just figured it didnt want to run with a missing clyinder but now i know why LOL

the wire was one of 3 going to the ground? for the distributor...the spark plug wire goes from the center on the dist. to the top of this part...it has to be removed to get at one of the ifter cover bolts...anyone know the name for this thing...i need a new one and a plug for it

since the wire was broken i was screwed cuz i wouldnt be able to get a new plug but i looked at the unit and i saw spade posts so i grabbed a couple household spade connectors and jimmy rigged it up and waddya know it runs...but one of the posts was loose so i a new one when i do the plug LOL

EDIT::: post #29, picture #2 you can see the top of the part im talking about...theres 1 yellow wire and 1 red wire, its in front of the dist. its also in the 8th pic of that post, right at the bottom of the pic
That's your ignition coil, dude. Yeah, you might need to have that hooked up for your truck to start jk we all do that sometimes.....

Old 11-19-2009, 01:43 AM
86sixbanger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by petroskie
im not 100% is there a distinct way to tell? so when you gunna get some pics up, i wanna see em, better do it, when i used to build mining equipment they called me the wrecker cause i broke stuff, miss that job but they went under, best job i ever had
Look at your rear wheel on your truck. If it has a big steel protruding hub with bolts on it, that's your axleshaft cover and it's a full floater. If it has no big steel protruding hub and nothing in the center of the rear wheel sticks out past the hub except the lug nuts, it's a semi floater like mine. I plan to swap mine out to a full floater soon, they are WAY stronger and have much more aftermarket support.

Like I said once, I'm technologically retarded. I fail every time I try to load pictures of my truck up on here. I guess I have to just keep trying. I'll get er eventually...

Old 11-19-2009, 09:09 AM
petroskie
Senior User
i have a semi floater, bummer. so if you havent already found this web site then you need to go ASAP, the site is call http://www.cardomain.com , click on the blue letters, thats called a hyper linkjk when you get there you can specifically look at your year ford, set up an account and post pics there is much much much easier to do it there plus there are tons of other people there. let me know what you think

Old 11-19-2009, 11:53 AM
86sixbanger
Posting Guru
Yeah, I kind of thought you might have a semi floater. Most F250's with the smaller engines were considered "F250 light duties" and had weaker axles. It's okay though, the swap to a full floater is 100% bolt in. And yeah I'll try that cardomain thing.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:04 PM
86sixbanger
Posting Guru
cardomain. meh. they want to much information. BTW, 9.ford.5, I checked my axle code from the code on the door jamb and it says yes I have a ford (sterling) 5300# (10.25 semi floating) rear axle with 3.55 gears.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:59 PM
petroskie
Senior User
In my opinion the "light duty f250s" were glorified f150s, i dont understand what the purpose was, my father inlaws 99 f150 tows better than mine

Old 11-19-2009, 02:06 PM
86sixbanger
Posting Guru
They are pretty much glorified f150s. EXCEPT that our front axles are leaf sprung instead of coil sprung like an F150. and our frames are still more like a two fifty. Like I said, a full floating 10.25 is a bolt in swap for us, on an F150 there would be some work to do before you could sling a one ton axle under it.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:41 PM
petroskie
Senior User
true true, hey have you ever seen sombody swapover the old style 5.0 intake manifold for a mustange 5.0 intake manifold type set up?

Old 11-19-2009, 08:30 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 86sixbanger
Look at your rear wheel on your truck. If it has a big steel protruding hub with bolts on it, that's your axleshaft cover and it's a full floater. If it has no big steel protruding hub and nothing in the center of the rear wheel sticks out past the hub except the lug nuts, it's a semi floater like mine. I plan to swap mine out to a full floater soon, they are WAY stronger and have much more aftermarket support.
thats the axle shaft itself, there is no cover...

not to mention way easier to work on...you can change axles without even removing tires! i like that LOL...all the big rigs are full floats, so much easier...

That's your ignition coil, dude. Yeah, you might need to have that hooked up for your truck to start jk we all do that sometimes.....
yeah i guess that would help eh LOL...well my jimmy rig solution is still holding out just fine...still wanna replace all that stuff too, maybe ill do the knock sensor while im there LOL

Old 11-19-2009, 08:48 PM
86sixbanger
Posting Guru
Well, they're kind of like a cover, they make that little flange at the end that you bolt the shaft in with. Anyways, no petroskie, I know nothing about 5.0's. this is an inline six forum. get out! jk we put up with you. actually no you're all right, really. but seriously I know nothing about 302's I got a buddy who does though, he's building a 302 for one of his mustangs he has a few of.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:09 PM
petroskie
Senior User
thats right im alright cause im petroskie biotches! boom baby, im just a crazy young guy. I do what i want! just a bunch of 5.0 haters up in here, ya knw what im sayeen!

<-- that guy right there is awsome!! well call it steve

Old 11-19-2009, 09:20 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Well, they're kind of like a cover, they make that little flange at the end that you bolt the shaft in with.
yeah i suppose, ill give em that...do they use oil in the full floating hubs or do they use grease and contain the oil to the diff?...i know they use oil in the hubs and diffs on the big rigs but they deal with way more heat than any pick up ever will...

true true, hey have you ever seen sombody swapover the old style 5.0 intake manifold for a mustange 5.0 intake manifold type set up?
people swap intake manifolds from EFI 302 mustangs onto the EFI 302 trucks if thats what you were referring to, good power booster actually...also works with crown vic EFI 302 intakes, they dont net as much of a power boost as the mustang intakes will though

Old 11-19-2009, 10:36 PM
86sixbanger
Posting Guru
I think it's just grease in the hubs, oil is contained in the diff I think.

Oh yes, just ask the guy with more 302 trucks than 300 I6 trucks, HE would know! jk

Old 11-19-2009, 10:39 PM
86sixbanger
Posting Guru
thats right im alright cause im petroskie biotches! boom baby, im just a crazy young guy. I do what i want! just a bunch of 5.0 haters up in here, ya knw what im sayeen!

<-- that guy right there is awsome!! well call it steve
Whoa there bud, you and steve just calm down okay?

Old 11-19-2009, 11:23 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
I think it's just grease in the hubs, oil is contained in the diff I think.

Oh yes, just ask the guy with more 302 trucks than 300 I6 trucks, HE would know! jk
yeah probably, oil hubs are usually only used in high heat applications IE big rigs...but id like to get my axles on oil rather than grease, it leaks easier BUT there is much less friction with gear oil thant here is with grease

technically the 93 isnt MINE yet...and the only one i drive is the 300 I6

Whoa there bud, you and steve just calm down okay?
deep breaths, in...and out...in...and out... go to your happy place or pet an invisible cat...whichver floats your immaginary boat... LOL im just buggin on ya...but i think it is ME who needs the professional help LOL

Quick Reply: 2 questions...oil leak and oil psi 300 I6...