Bye bye points

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 01:10 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bye bye points

Hey guys! How's everyone been lately?

Well, I finally had it with my old distributer. Consistent timing was a challenge and I got tired of screwing with the points gap. Sooooo I went down to Napa and bought new electronic ignition parts (dizzy and coil) then hit the junk yard for a control module and wiring harness. She's running good now and things seem to be maintaining stability so I shouldn't hafta to screw with that ol dizzy no mo.

Tim like... Tim like real good...

A couple of questions though. Do the coils for late seventies through mid eighties 460 engines have a resister built into the coil? Do they even need the stock 74 truck resistor wire in place (which is supposedly wired in on my 74 F250)?

I am using the old (+) coil wire to power the new EI coil. I have been told that the original 74 coil wire has a resistor wire in line. If the new coil has a resistor built it, then I might be double resisting and lowering voltage too low. Does this make sense?

The truck does run very well with the new EI system, but seems to have a slight sputter, or hesitation when accelerating from idle from time to time, but not always. Just wondering if it might be marginal voltage at the coil???

Old 11-07-2009, 04:10 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sometimes if the voltage gets too low, the engine could stall. Then you have to wait a while to start it back up. I did that a few years ago with my Mustang. I used a Duraspark and a GM module though. Now I use a D'spark with an aftermarket Capacitive Discharge ign box. Fires up every time since I put it on 2 years ago.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:03 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thing (since Dale brought up GM) is all the gG conversions I've done, I hade to change the ignition wire to 14 or 12 ga, from the original 16/18 gauge, since the HEI's needed more current, otherwise at low rpms the engine would want to stal/lsputter.

The wire I'm talking about would be to and from the ballast resistor, or on the newer GM starters from the "S" terminal, IIRC.

Not sure if it pertains to Fords or not.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but here goes:

A few years ago, I put a Pertronix unit on my 6-volt distributer in the 272 Y-Block. When I would pull up to a stop sign it would die. I turned the idle up some and the problem went away. Maybe that would work for you too. Jag