1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Starting Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:56 PM
5-20
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starting Problem.

I've being reading this forum for some time and have use this forum to find out what is wrong with my truck and fix it. Most of the times I just read through here and can find most of the problems. So this is a first for me to write about a problem on my truck to this forum. I have an F-350 7.3 automatic 4x4 here is my problem. The other day I was going to work and my truck all of a sudden lost power on the highway I was going around 65 mph and it went down to 35 mph luckily I was on a downhill coasted the truck to a stop and it was hesitating really bad. So I pulled over and it turned off on me. When I tried to turn it on again it would only crank and not start. It sounds good when cranking but won't start so I had it towed home. I check the harness and the harness under the value cover and one of the connecters was burned the passenger side value cover harness so I replaced the value cover gasket and modules along with all 8 glow plugs since I had the value covers off. Still won’t start so I change the CPS still only turns but won’t start. So I check the fuel housing and no fuel just very little and a lot of gunk. So I took out the housing and cleaned it out. I also found the screen to I believe is the fpr clog so I clean that as well. Still only cranks but won't start. What I'm thinking is it is the fuel pump. But before I spend a 100 dollars I would like to know if anybody have any ideas what it could be? I would hate to be spending money on parts and not fix my problem. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 11-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Could you explain the "gunk" for us?

Could have algee in the fuel if its that kinda gunk. and might be in the lines or stuck on the pickup tube allowing no fuel in.

Did you pull the bowl when you cleaned it?

If so, did you pull the FPR off and clean that separately?
Be sure to watch out for the o-ring if you take it off.
The FPR piece comes out, just not very easy. took me a minute to wiggle it out.
I cleaned and blew the passages in the FPR out there also.

Those are my only idea's for you. Sounds like you got a decent handle on a lot of other things. If you could explain the gunk, and if the filter was black and slimy or what not, that will help a lot of more experienced guys be able to tell if you got algee problems.
I have not ever seen it, so I don't know what it looks like.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:39 AM
Oversize
Laughing Gas
It sounds to me like you did it right. In reference to Talyns question about the "GUNK" algae will look black and oily rather like tar only much thinner. If that what you had in your bowl It could easily be algae which can plug things up, Assuming thats what you found, you need some algacide or some real good quality injector cleaner or both. If it wasnt anything like that then its probably just your fuel pump took a dump on you. You could fill your entire filter housing with injector cleaner and start it for a quick clean, or just fill it back with diesel and run it, its possible but doubtful that restriction pullged it up so fast that it simply ran you out of prime unless something is retricting your intake pipe in which case you need additive in your tanks to clean out the algae. If it is algae you need to do that and change your fuel filter several times before it goes away completely. Usually you only get algae if you had some water in your fuel and especially if you left it sit for a long time with out running. Let us know.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:51 PM
5-20
New User
Yeah sorry I didn't explain "gunk" it was algae on the bottom of the housing also there was some white foamie stuff not a lot on top floating on the diesel. Also the fuel housing had very little diesel on it right underneath the heater. Thanks.