Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Drive shaft work + stupidity = 2 broken bones

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 822 Likes on 626 Posts
Originally Posted by just another truck
There is nothing I can say to this Costa.. Just know that I am very sorry that this happened.
This pretty much sums it up for me too. I'm speechless.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM
thbowen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to see you are "OK". Also good to know that I am not the only one to do this. When I was in high school I went out to change the center bearing on the drive shaft one morning and forgot to block the wheels and the truck was parked on a hill. Once the drive shaft came out, the truck and me took off rolling. No broken bones for me but about 30 stiches in my face later I was done.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:02 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBoat
I also live in the flatlands the only hills we have around here are caused by ants, but In 7/2000 I lost my 3 year old son when he removed a wheel chock from my boat trailer tire and the trailer rolled forward and struck and killed him. I was less than 10 feet away, the trailer only rolled forward a couple of feet. It does not take much, God was definately watching over you because it could have been much much worse.
Rick - Invest in a good set of chocks!
So sorry to hear this Costa. That is everyones worst nightmare. All my kids are grown, but I have 4 grand children that I think about every day. I don't know how a person can survive after a tragic like that.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:13 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Holy crap Pete... real sorry to hear about this! Here's to hoping for a quick recovery!
And Costa- I can't imagine ever having to deal with something as terrible as losing a child So sorry to hear about your loss.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:47 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Originally Posted by F250_
Costa, that breaks my heart to hear of the loss of your son. I am so sorry that you and your family have had to (and probably continue to) experience that kind of heartache. Having only seen very limited glimpes of it through serious illness with my children, I know that I still simply cannot imagine the depth of your heartache. Thank you for having the courage to post your own severe experience... my own pales so much in comparison. What you have shared has driven another nail in my resolve to be more careful.
Sorry Pete I did not want to throw this thread off track, just wanted to reinforce the importance of wheel chocks and the possible very serious consequences of not using them. Loosing a child definitely gives you a very different perspective of life and its importances.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
Costa, you have nothing to apologize for, my friend. Your post was completely in sync with my intent, which was not attention for myself as much as attention to the need for safety on this issue, and that the absence of proper safety measures can create extremely serious consequences. Your own situation underlines that point so very clearly. Again... thank you.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
I also live in the flatlands the only hills we have around here are caused by ants, but In 7/2000 I lost my 3 year old son when he removed a wheel chock from my boat trailer tire and the trailer rolled forward and struck and killed him. I was less than 10 feet away, the trailer only rolled forward a couple of feet. It does not take much, God was definately watching over you because it could have been much much worse.
Originally Posted by F250_
Costa, you have nothing to apologize for, my friend. Your post was completely in sync with my intent, which was not attention for myself as much as attention to the need for safety on this issue, and that the absence of proper safety measures can create extremely serious consequences. Your own situation underlines that point so very clearly. Again... thank you.
I thank both of you for sharing your stories. Pete, I feel pain when I read your posts and I'm sorry you're having to go through all this. Costa, my heart breaks for you.

Chalking wheels is something I was not in the habit of doing before...and I've been having driveline vibrations and there was a few times I almost went out there and started messing around with things, guaranteed I wouldn't have chalked my wheels - until now.

I'm sure there are 100 other people just like me who will now think differently when they work on their vehicles. Valuable lessons available here.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Costa- I can't imagine ever having to deal with something as terrible as losing a child So sorry to hear about your loss.
Neither can I. It breaks my heart, as a father and new grandfather to even try and comprehend that happening.

So sorry anyone has to go through that.

Sorry for your loss, Costa.

Stewart

Old 11-03-2009, 04:39 PM
bens99f350
Senior User
Glad you're still around to tell us about this Pete!

Costa... very sorry to hear about your loss as well, having lost a son myself in '98 I know of some of your pain.

I'm sure this thread is a wake up call for most of us.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:42 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow Pete I hate to hear you broke some bones I couldn't imagine being in a situation like that I am glad you made it out alive without any life threatening injuries and no damage to the truck.

Like its been said it could have been worse, I'll pray for you to have a speedy recovery and good surgery.

Costa.. I am sorry to hear that I am speechless I can't even imagine that pain...

Old 11-03-2009, 05:49 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
As with most threads on this forum, there are lessons to be learned. Some are trivial, but this one is certainly not. Costa and Pete have underscored a very important thing for us all to remember.

Pete speedy recovery!!

Costa, I haven't got the words to express my sorrow.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:01 PM
87 F-150 I6
Posting Guru

wow, cant say much other then I am sorry for your loss.

Pete, hope surgery goes well and now every time I work on my truck you can bet I will have wheel chocks.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:07 AM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pete, just now catching up on some of my FTE reading and saw this... Wow! I am sorry and happy at the same time. Sorry it happened but so happy it wasn't worse. I've done the same thing, but with a shop floor that was more level and a much lighter truck. Thank God you are ok.
Costa, even though it's been over 9 years, I'm sure that moment is still as if it happened yesterday. I am sorry for your loss and thank you for the courage to share with us and remind us the how fragile life is and how easily it can be taken away.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Costa, I am terribly saddened and sorry to hear this. Thank You for having the courage to share this tragedy with us to reinforce the importance of doing things safely. I cannot fathom the internal pain that you and your family must endure going through something like this.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:06 PM
dwigmore
Cross-Country
Pete - just read about your accident. Don't worry about the surgery - my brother had a similar procedure done and it all worked out fine. Like someone said earlier though, you'll make a good meteorologist now! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Quick Reply: Drive shaft work + stupidity = 2 broken bones