Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Drive shaft work + stupidity = 2 broken bones

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I use a set of folding chalks like these:

I can't remember the cost, but I'm pretty sure they were less than $10 bucks a pair.

I have 3 sets and use them on any vehicle I work on, and also for my travel-trailer, whenever I park it on the street.

Stewart

Old 11-02-2009, 07:07 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
Guzzle, that chock at HF is the exact same one I normally use, and the one I have will be receiving three partners very soon and they will be chained together in pairs to boot. As cheap as they are, I might even get 5 more chocks to have three complete pairs (one pair at the house and two pair with me in the truck).
My local Harbor Freight is currently out of stock. Not a one on the shelf, though they checked to see that the warehouse (thirty miles away, and corporate headquarters) DOES have them, and they get shipments in five days a week. It's their stock number 65320.

A bunch of guys local to me musta' read this thread already, 'cause they were all gone at around noon today. (Who ARE you guys?)

Checking back with them tomorrow.

Pop

Old 11-02-2009, 08:39 PM
fordff
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with the surgery- makes for some fun airport screening.
Hospital dose Ibroprofin! Only thing that works for me, and I have a nurse director of a wife.

God bless!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:52 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Just saw this thread, sorry to hear that Pete. Glad your still around to post about your story. Get well soon man.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:01 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Pete,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Like others have said, "it could have been worse." Seems like we always learn a lesson after the fact. I know I have. Get well soon.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:51 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok Pete. My dad would always give us his "lecture" on wheel chocks every time we helped him work on one of our trucks. I'm glad he did because there have been a few occasion where they kept a truck from rolling away on us.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 821 Likes on 625 Posts
I just found this thread too.
What an ordeal!!!
Get well soon.
I always use jackstands.
With the drive wheels lifted completely off the ground and secured, no chance of rolling.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:11 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by guzzle92
Harbor Freight has some pretty heavy duty chocks for about half the price too.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
I have 2 just like that and will soon have 2 more, and they will get used every time I'm working on a vehicle, regardless if I'm under it or not. They are cheap insurance, just like jackstands, when you look at what it can cost you.

Good luck with the surgery Pete.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:01 AM
makomaker
Elder User
Pete, good luck with recovery. Unfortunately, broken bones in feet and les affect you the rest of your life, I speak from experience...at least you will have a built-in weather forecaster

Old 11-03-2009, 07:15 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Man Pete, this was one of the times I wished you were wrong.. I was hoping you wouldnt need the surgery. At the same token, at least when it is done, it should be better then "Stock"..

Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I use 4x4 blocks of wood with one end cut at an angle myself. Good wheel chocks, and they can be used for other things, unlike a wheel chock.
We probably all have something that can work in our garage, I think the point is use something!

Old 11-03-2009, 07:45 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in the flat lands, but I think I will invest in a good set of chocks. Very, very seldom do I ever use my emergency brakes.

Best of luck Pete.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:14 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Originally Posted by miller_feed
I live in the flat lands, but I think I will invest in a good set of chocks. Very, very seldom do I ever use my emergency brakes.
I also live in the flatlands the only hills we have around here are caused by ants, but In 7/2000 I lost my 3 year old son when he removed a wheel chock from my boat trailer tire and the trailer rolled forward and struck and killed him. I was less than 10 feet away, the trailer only rolled forward a couple of feet. It does not take much, God was definately watching over you because it could have been much much worse.
Rick - Invest in a good set of chocks!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:26 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
Costa, that breaks my heart to hear of the loss of your son. I am so sorry that you and your family have had to (and probably continue to) experience that kind of heartache. Having only seen very limited glimpes of it through serious illness with my children, I know that I still simply cannot imagine the depth of your heartache. Thank you for having the courage to post your own severe experience... my own pales so much in comparison. What you have shared has driven another nail in my resolve to be more careful.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBoat
I also live in the flatlands the only hills we have around here are caused by ants, but In 7/2000 I lost my 3 year old son when he removed a wheel chock from my boat trailer tire and the trailer rolled forward and struck and killed him. I was less than 10 feet away, the trailer only rolled forward a couple of feet. It does not take much, God was definately watching over you because it could have been much much worse.
Rick - Invest in a good set of chocks!
There is nothing I can say to this Costa.. Just know that I am very sorry that this happened.

Quick Reply: Drive shaft work + stupidity = 2 broken bones