Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Friday!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:50 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friday!!

Woo hoo finally get my beast on the road with dependability on friday! What a close to a crappy week so far that will make! New(er) engine, all new seals, all new gp's with controller, no more plugging in, ahhhh the normal life, i wont know what to do with myself! I may need to get a part timer as a mechanic to fill the void! hahaha! How is everyone?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:13 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good to hear

Old 10-08-2009, 11:55 AM
doube_zero
Senior User
did you ever tear down the old one to see what happened?

Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
So i picked up the truck today........all is well with the engine. No smoke, no nothing wrong(knock knock) and i got it about ten miles away from the dealer and i was slowing down when a grinding sound appeared out of no where. I stopped and the sound went away alomst as fast as it appeared. I went to go again and a faint grinding sound started again and as soon as it shifted into second, the sound went away so i start slowing down again and the sound comes back then goes away. It only lasts a few seconds and is not constant. It seems like something in the transfer case or trans but i am not sure. The dealer is closed sat sun and mon but open again on tuesday. I am leaving a message with them tomorrow that it is happening so they dont think i went out farting around all weekend and broke it. Did they mess something up because the trans is fairly new along with the transfer case, less than a year. They even commented on how it is the only clean thing on the truck hahaha. Any help bros? Should this be a covered item by the dealer, i would think so.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:47 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what type of grinding noise like anigle grinder of like trying to shirt with out pressing the clutch in

Old 10-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I would look under the cab.

Exhaust pipe hitting the cab, transfer case bolts left loose or even motor mount bolts loose.

Kinda sounds like it may be torque related.

Do you have a floor mounted transfer case shifter?
If so that is another possibility.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:16 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Absolutely torque related is my thought, when i jam the gas it is silent and all i hear is the nice engine sound. When i let off the gas i hear the sound for a moment and then it is gone.

Joe in an effort to communicate haha it is like the grinding of gears without pressing in the clutch. It is in gear though, transfer case that is. Remember it is an automatic.

Sounds directly under the middle of the floor right in front of the seat. help!!

Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
by the way it is so awesome to see the engine with out blowby, leaks and drips haha. The gears grinding sound doesnt really even have me down. How in the heck do i catch a break. Is it safe to go grab a load of hay, about 15 bales 5 miles away and then not drive till i go to the dealer on tuesday?

Old 10-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

If something is loose, a heavy load might not be a good idea.

When I did all my engine changes while messing with the reman engines, I noticed that every engine sat in the truck a little different.

Some were a little forward, some sat back toward the firewall a little more.

If the transfer case shifter or an exhaust pipe is against the floor pan, it would make a sound something like your description.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:33 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Had a steel elbow in the fuel line where it comes from behind and to the side of the engine and it was rattling on the bolt that supports my heater blower through the inside of the cab. When i would accellerate the vibration would increase but through more gas it would then go away. Very wierd thing but this morning i could hear faint rattling while at idle(started on her own without being plugged in!!) When i got underneath the dash i could hear it better and started pushing around, was able to make it stop and isolated it. Thanks so much guys for the help! I used some industrial velcro, soft side, and stuck it to the firewall, now it is nice and padded!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:01 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Re-Ran the section of fuel line from the back of the engine to the fuel filter, no drips and to scary rattles. I love the fact that i have the electric fuel pump because it was no problem re priming the lines. While i was in there i found out that my little section of return line that is hose, was all cracked and was slowly seeping, had to cut it off and replace it as well. 9 bucks for parts, cant be beat!! here's to working on our own rigs!!!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Funny how much noise a little fitting can make.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:51 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
well said, i thought for sure the trans was going or the transfer case was going. Made me nervous until i was poking around and found that little elbow making all kinds of racket.