Disappointed with Modern Fullsize Truck Styling

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:32 AM
HEpTJJ
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disappointed with Modern Fullsize Truck Styling

I don't want to bruise anyone's feelings, but here it is:

To my eye, modern fullsize truck styling is too plastic, too curvy, and too "Pontiac". I have no desire to purchase a new truck from any of the modern auto makers, despite my own truck sitting at 286,000 hard miles and requiring more maintenance.

Quality is discovered in patina, when a thing actually looks better with age. Newer trucks, with their acres of chrome plated plastic, will not age well. Like a women's expensive vinyl purse, the first scratch is fatal, whereas wear on the leather of a man's wallet lends it character. Modern fullsize trucks remind me of jewelry, they glitter and shine but tend to get caught in the tablesaw if you're doing any real work.

I own a 92 f-150, and while old, can admit that the trucks were becoming cheap even then. I frequent salvage yards which are full of early '80s f series and the quality of those trucks seem much higher. From the door handles to the steel of the bodies the trucks seem to be more solid. Also, to my eyes, the bodies of the 70s and 80s trucks look cleaner:

...the bed is low enough to reach into. The truck looks like it is constructed of metal. The rims are not oversized and ostentatious. Clearcoat isn't dusting off like a moulting rattlesnake. The doors have vent windows. The thing looks like it can work.

Contrast it with this:

...spot the difference? When I look at it I think of rap music and guys that wax their eyebrows.

And what happened to the 4.9 L6? After 286,000 miles mine is still pulling a boat 60 miles through 115 degree heat reliably. Inline sixes shine as truck motors, slow, steady, and dead reliable. Nothing flashy.

Why not give modern buyers the option of a no-bling rig? Just a get-er-done truck with a get-er-done engine? Perhaps call it the "G Series". The dealerships can hide them in the back of the lot if it clashes with their jewellery-box carlot. Hell, maybe Ford can sell them from through tractor rentals.

What do you think?

Last edited by HEpTJJ; 09-08-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Typo.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
Ford hasn't made a good looking truck since the '97 HD's. I have to agree with the looks, but the latest style you show hasn't been around long enough to rate the longevity yet.
I like the "old" stuff too, but better built? Every so often I get to drive my brothers '69 340 Dart, runs like hell, handles like crap.
I hope the body on my '12 fares much better than the one on my '72 Comet GT did. Never saw salt, snow, but still started rusting within two and a half years.
I remember steam engines as well, if they were so good, why don't we still use them, as well as 200 hp log trucks.
Times change, and whether we like it or not, we tend to look back at the so called" Goode Olde Daze", and tend to remember only the good things about what we did, owned, lived. It's human nature, maybe that's why I like dogs so much. LOL

BTW, there's nothing wrong with my spelling. LOL

Old 09-08-2013, 04:43 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
stupid people don't want old and reliable, they want new and blingtastic every year because they have more money than brains.

and unfortunately, the people running everything are stupid, and have to buy a new and blingtastic truck every year to keep up with their neighbors.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:52 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Bling does sell, too bad, but true most times. I still regret selling my old '01 7.3. Still can't figure that out, yep, sometimes I do stupid things, but truly, bling didn't sell me on the 150.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:31 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Before buying my 2011 F-150, I owned an '88, an '86 and an '84, all F-150's. Two had the 300 I-6 and one had a 351. The 351 developed cracks on the block and it couldn't hold water and it it blew out the rear main seal at 101K miles. I bought a short block, had the heads freshened up and ran it for another 125K miles before the body rusted to crap. This was my '88 and it was the biggest pile of crap that I ever owned.

The first two F-150's were the 300's. Great engines but gutless and not all that good on gas.

While the 2011 is made up of cheaper interior parts, it's twice the truck of any truck that I've ever owned. This thing will outpull most any half tom on the road and get superior fuel economy empty. It ride well, has a higher payload than any of my past trucks, it requires less maintenance and best of all, unlike my past trucks, nothing has gone wrong with it.

So, to those of you who don't like the new trucks, don't hate. Quite frankly, I'm tired of wrenching on old worn out rigs. It's my prerogative to buy new, I can afford it, I work hard and I should spoil myself a little.

However, I still think the '80-'86 models were the prettiest trucks that Ford ever built.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 AM
merc2dogs
Freshman User
I agree with the OP, really do not like the style of any of the new trucks. The engines, drive line and frame /suspension seem fine, but I dislike the looks. If I could get a chassis to bolt my 84 cab and bed on, I'd be happy! And the beds are way too tall, I'm short enough as it is, I don't want to carry a step ladder just to look in.... One mistake people make when comparing old vs new is they compare a 30 year old truck to a brand new truck, they don't compare a new 84 to a new 2013.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:31 PM
rainbow stu
Junior User
The big six was one hell of a motor. For looks 78-79 were the best.

Village People??

Old 09-09-2013, 06:14 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rainbow stu
The big six was one hell of a motor. For looks 78-79 were the best.

Village People??
Village People?!?!? OMG!!!!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Those trucks are too new for my taste- My DD right now is a 32 year old motorcycle, but my preferred DD is my 69 F250. It looks like hell, but still gets down the road. The 7.3 IDI swap helps that

Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will not buy a new truck either. The styling isn't the real issue for me. I refuse to pay the big stupid money they want for a new truck. $30,000-$65,000 is insane. A woman is cheaper than that & has much better features, styling, capabilities & mileage.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:58 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I think the real sad part about truck evolution here is how weak yet expensive the front and rear bumpers are. You can't even buy an aftermarket OE style bumper that's worth the money.

But on a routine maintenance standpoint, the new trucks are better hands down. After owning three 80's model F-150's, 4x2 and 4x4, the routine and scheduled maintenance on the rigs is three times that needed on the new vehicles.

For instance, every 30K miles you to perform the following preventative maintenance:

Cooling system flush
basic tune up
repack 4x4 hub components and wheel bearings
flush rear axle oil
flush auto transmission / transfer case
pack ball joints, (no biggy here)
3K mile oil changes (again, no biggy)

However, on top of all of this maintenance, I found myself replacing exhaust systems in under 100K miles, ball joints, U-joints, chasing rust, replacing radiators and water pumps.

But, I do miss the simplicity of self diagnosis and home repair.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:45 PM
slashfan7964
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I hate the new designs. The only new own I somewhat like is the '99-'02 F-250's.

My favorite is '80-'86s and the '75s-'79s. I can't stand the new ones, they are just blegh.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:12 PM
thechief66
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by HEpTJJ
To my eye, modern fullsize truck styling is too plastic, too curvy, and too "Pontiac"
Really?

Sorry, just couldn't resist!

I agree with the above posting about the COST of new trucks...it's ridiculous!
I considered buying a new 150 last year. I'm a Ford dealer employee. A low end
4x4 supercab with the turbo v6? $38K!!!
Still flogging my ol' 460 (long since paid for...)

Old 10-07-2013, 10:26 AM
slashfan7964
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thechief66
Really?

Sorry, just couldn't resist!

I agree with the above posting about the COST of new trucks...it's ridiculous!
I considered buying a new 150 last year. I'm a Ford dealer employee. A low end
4x4 supercab with the turbo v6? $38K!!!
Still flogging my ol' 460 (long since paid for...)

Cost is a big reason why I keep the 'ol '85. It's been the best truck we've ever had. It's done everything ever asked of it with a grin. I couldn't get what I've gotten out of the '85 with a new one as far as work and longevity is concerned. For $10,000, I could restore the '85 and get just as much longevity and use out of it as I've gotten the last 27 years whereas a $40,000 truck might last me 10 years and then that's it. Not worth it in my opinion. I'd must rather put the money and effort into the '85.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:05 PM
merc2dogs
Freshman User
Originally Posted by slashfan7964
For $10,000, I could restore the '85 and get just as much longevity and use out of it as I've gotten the last 27 years whereas a $40,000 truck might last me 10 years and then that's it. Not worth it in my opinion. I'd must rather put the money and effort into the '85.
This!

I quit buying new years ago when it got too hard to buy base trucks. I buy old ones, strip out and resell what I don't want, then rebuild and paint. I end up with the truck want for less than a third the cost of a new one.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Modern Fullsize Truck Styling