Sponsored by: DP Tuner

command start

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:30 PM
turboboost
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
command start

what kind of command start do you guys have, looking to buy one for the winter.
Do they have a time delay for the glowplugs or how do they work?

Old 10-22-2009, 02:35 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
If by command start, you mean a remote start, I have a Viper system (one of the basic ones, I forgot which model number). It has a delay function that you can set how long the glow plugs are energized for. I have mine delayed for 60 seconds. It also has a cool down feature that is also selectable by time. I have mine set for 4 minutes, so if I am out running it hard, I hit that function and the motor continues to run for 4 minutes and allows the turbo temps and EGT's to come down.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:40 PM
dwigmore
Cross-Country
Yeah, there's a delay from when the power is activated to when the starter engages. They should also have a button for a delayed shut-down. If you come in off the high-way, and don't want to sit in the truck for 2 minutes letting it cool down, you just hit the button, remove the key from the ignition and walk away. The truck will shut itself off after 2 or 3 minutes (can be programmed). If you want to get fancy, you can get the remote with an alarm system and feedback to tell you what's happening in the truck. The good news is that the Ford is the cheapest install (compared to Dodge or Chev) due to the amount of relays that go in. I had mine installed about 4 years ago, and it was less than 1/2 the cost of the same remote installed in a Chev! On my keytag, it says Ultrastart. I'm not sure of the model, etc, but I'll try to find the owner's manual and follow up.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:08 PM
dwigmore
Cross-Country
Hey Turbo - found the manual. It's an Ultra Start. The web site is index. I've been very happy with mine.