Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Yay, CPS time again

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yay, CPS time again

Yesterday on the way home I had 3 or 4 instances of bucking / skipping / very short duration power loss. After the last time the check engine light came on. Finally for good measure, a block from home the truck completely died. Thankfully I was able to re-start it and get home.

I had a pretty good feeling what I was facing, and a code scan with AE confirmed it:

Besides the 3 I'm used to seeing (P0541 = AIH delete, P0238 and P1211 = DP Tuner fun) I see what I'm looking for: P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor circuit intermittent. Joy.

This ain't my first CPS rodeo and I've got the replacement at home ready to go. Just waiting for the rain to stop, which actually leads me to the main point of this thread. I am noticing a trend that my CPS issues seem to be tied in with extended periods of wet weather. It's happened enough times now that I'm beginning to think it's more than coincidence. Anybody else notice something similar?

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Wish me luck (and some dryness).

Old 10-22-2009, 11:00 AM
wuttrd
Senior User
Cps

no answer for the rain it does not rain here. but it happend to me the other day on the way home from work. go peddle off and the truck died.started right back up, i have a extra cps that i got from ebay, do you think i should change it out now or waiet till it happens again ??

Old 10-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by wuttrd
no answer for the rain it does not rain here. but it happend to me the other day on the way home from work. go peddle off and the truck died.started right back up, i have a extra cps that i got from ebay, do you think i should change it out now or waiet till it happens again ??
No time like the present.

I would at least keep it and the ratchet + socket in the glove box if you venture far from home regularly. I've learned my lesson.

I have read the "blue" one is supposed to be the best, but it doesn't work well on trucks with tunes. I have two black ones with lifetime warranties that I can rotate through as needed with no real down time.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:22 AM
wuttrd
Senior User
thanks

i just got the o ring from bob last night i will change it(ebay black one) and keep the stock(black one) one. thanks

Old 10-22-2009, 02:07 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
My son and I both are running this one. He has TW tunes with substantial modding and it runs fine. I have a Superchips with no problems. I know that this one is higher priced than the gray Ford one but if it lasts, that's worth something.

FORD POWERSTROKE 7.3L DT466 CAM POSITION SENSOR CPS:eBay Motors (item 370225591200 end time Nov-03-09 04:50:49 PST)

Old 10-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by farmdad
My son and I both are running this one. He has TW tunes with substantial modding and it runs fine. I have a Superchips with no problems. I know that this one is higher priced than the gray Ford one but if it lasts, that's worth something.
Truer words have not been spoken. I might have to give it a shot. Replacement isn't difficult, but having to do it at all is a PITA.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:58 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
I found ours at a local International truck shop a little over a year ago. Had to make some calls to find them. I was surprised to see these. But I guess anything is possible on ebay.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:48 PM
bublitz3
Junior User
My girlfriend drove mine today because her POS chevy is also stalling and then mine stalled on her 5 times in wet weather. Actually it always acts up in wet weather I had the same question I just installed a grey CPS in July. Im told those are junk and I need a black one. Mine (unfortunately) has no mods to the motor. So I guess Ebay is were i have to go also. Great tip! If anyone knows about the wet weather thing that would be a plus

Old 10-22-2009, 05:50 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When you swap out the CPS, make sure your wires going to the snap connection, what goes into the CPS, arn't chaffed or anything and check the connector itself. Water could be shorting out the CPS from a bad wire, just a thought because of the rain factor. Maybe use some of that electrical contact grease lightly in and around.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:02 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck hasnt done the recall,it has 83000 miles ,does this just happen out of the blue?Wondering if I should buy a spare from international>>>

Old 10-22-2009, 06:28 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rtazz17
My truck hasnt done the recall,it has 83000 miles ,does this just happen out of the blue?Wondering if I should buy a spare from international>>>
Locate a Int. black one if all possible but yes, out of the blue it happens. Mine was acting up, right after startup, about a mile up the road and the truck died, lost all power until I cycled the key again and it started back up. Did this sporaticly until I did the recall then switched that out with the black, alls good now with my recall CPS as a spare.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:02 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by big poppa pump
Locate a Int. black one if all possible but yes, out of the blue it happens. Mine was acting up, right after startup, about a mile up the road and the truck died, lost all power until I cycled the key again and it started back up. Did this sporaticly until I did the recall then switched that out with the black, alls good now with my recall CPS as a spare.
So The link above shows a blue international one... Not the preferred one right?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:13 PM
bublitz3
Junior User
Found 2 on Ebay for 48.99 (Black) if you type in the serch "International Navistar cam". The listing has a part number and thats it. Unsure of part number and if I go back up the thread Ill find the part number to be positive.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:37 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rtazz17
So The link above shows a blue international one... Not the preferred one right?
The blue IH one isn't the commonly used one but works very well. It isn't listed for the 7.3 as it is used in the DT 466 which is 6 cylinder truck and industrial engine. It has been listed in other threads as being a very good replacement with some thinking that it improves the general performance of the 7.3. You use what you feel comfortable with but you won't go wrong with the blue IH one.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:18 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
www.riffraffdiesel.com
Check with Clay.He had some black ones a couple months ago.
I bought one and got it real quick.

Quick Reply: Yay, CPS time again