1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

46(?) Flathead rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:57 AM
e-tek
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
46(?) Flathead rebuild

After a great summer with our '46 Merc M100, she crapped her pants on the last ride of the season. Took it to the dump (good place to crap your pants!) and when we got there (10-15 minutes max) I noticed the heat and oil pressures where maxed. Shut it down and checked it out: Water was down and oil (more like cappucino!) was up. Obviously water getting into the block in a big way. But it never smoked - or more importantly, steamed - so not sure if it's a head gasket (?). We let it cool down and added some water, then she started (hard). Took off and after another 5 minutes she ratlled and shut down. Got the wife to come rescue us.

Although there is wayer in the crank, there was no oil in the rad.

So here are the tear-down pics. This engine has likely not been apart for MANY years. However, the heads where off a few years back for a head gasket change. My neighbour owned the truck and his freind did the work for him. I recall them complaining about broken studs and wrong gaskets, so although the work may be questionable, he did do the hard part of breaking and replacing studs for me!

If you have any advise or experience to lend, please do! This is my first Flathead tear-down and I have yet to pinpoint the actual issue (where the water was getting in from). Thanks!

Everything secure-wired, juts like the old days!.Check out that yummy cappucino.....

Old 10-13-2009, 07:47 PM
HD74
Elder User
Would have liked to have seen a picture of you removing the engine from the truck, because I'm about to do the same thing. Great truck and keep the pic's coming.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:52 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The guy that wrote this puts thousands of miles each year on a hopped up 34 Ford Roadster - he also has been playing with these since the late 40's.

Flathead Introduction

Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
What is that port just below the gennie in the intake manifold?

Your cylinders appear to have very little wear? At least not much of a ridge.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:38 PM
vintage tin
Senior User
e-tek,i know the season is over for driving,but if your interested i have a 40 1 ton ford with a running flattie in it .i could be talked into selling it.shipping would not be a problem,my work has a branch in stoon,we get a semi every week.
let me know if your interested.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:35 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Originally Posted by HD74
Would have liked to have seen a picture of you removing the engine from the truck, because I'm about to do the same thing. Great truck and keep the pic's coming.
Here ya go! I always try and take the tranny and engine out as one - usually you can. I removed only the linkages, exhaust, drive shaft, rad shrouds and rad before taking out the 2 engime mount bolts and 2 tranny mount bolts.

Don't hesitate to ask if I can help at all!

Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
What is that port just below the gennie in the intake manifold?

Your cylinders appear to have very little wear? At least not much of a ridge.
That's where the oil filler tube goes. I removed it becuase it was in the way of the chain.

The cyclinder walls do look good. But there was a prety good ridge prior to using the ridge reamer. (You can see me doing that in the photo with the nitrile gloves on.)

Old 10-13-2009, 10:40 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Originally Posted by vintage tin
e-tek,i know the season is over for driving,but if your interested i have a 40 1 ton ford with a running flattie in it .i could be talked into selling it.shipping would not be a problem,my work has a branch in stoon,we get a semi every week.
let me know if your interested.
I just PM'd you. Have you checked the classifieds here? http://classiccar.com/index.php?opti...ead.php&t=4802

Old 10-15-2009, 07:19 PM
e-tek
Elder User
If anyone has a source for a good MERCURY tailgate, I'd appreciate it! aLso, what about homemade tools for valve extraction?

Today I bought some more ACETONE to mix with ATF for my super "break-loose" formulation. I'll spray it on the valves and guides to hopefully loosen then up a bit before disasssembly this weekend.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:47 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
SeaFoam works very well for varnish breakdown, squirt it on like Marvel Mystery Oil or penetrating oil.

For valve removal, I lucked out and everything came out pretty easy with long angled screwdrivers, tire irons, and pry bars. Once you understand how things are put together, it only takes a minute per valve.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:00 PM
e-tek
Elder User
DAMN!!!! The block, she's cracked at the main web.....

Is this the kind of thing "Lock and Stitch" welding fixes??

I have another engine sitting in the bush at the in-laws (in a wrecked 39 Ford). Guess I might have to pull it out and look at it now!

Anyone know other sources for FH blocks??

Old 10-18-2009, 09:59 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
That's a totally fatal crack from freezing. Check the source I sent you, he can set you up. He's also selling a 300+ HP blown flatty.... Hmmmm....!!!

Old 12-19-2009, 04:55 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Update: I found a block from Jitney`s Ford Autoparts. Who knew this guy lived right here in Saskatoon and runs an internationally famous Flathead business!

He sources blocks from everywhere, tears them down completely and has them magnafluxed. Sells the good ones for $450. This way I know what I`m buying and can use most of my parts from the original engine. I should have it before Xmas!

Old 12-19-2009, 09:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Good deal! Take your time, read up on how to build a flattie, it's worth the effort.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:20 AM
e-tek
Elder User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Good deal! Take your time, read up on how to build a flattie, it's worth the effort.
Any suggestions on best sources of rebuild info? bough the book "How to Rebuild your Flathead V8", but it's not overly detailed and it's poorly illustrated.

Quick Reply: 46(?) Flathead rebuild