6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

If your dpf was cracked?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:22 PM
deadbug
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your dpf was cracked?

Or slightly cracked would you still have regen's occuring?

Old 10-11-2009, 08:59 PM
goneon66
Junior User
when my dpf was cracked, i didn't NOTICE any regens but i sure did NOTICE the pitch black tail pipes......

Old 10-12-2009, 11:53 AM
tgene
Junior User
I had my dpf replaced 8 months ago. I had black tail pipes. I don't know if it was cracked or what. After cleaning the tips when they replaced the dpf, they have stayed clean now with a few thousand miles on the truck. As a side note, I have never seen a GMC/Chev with black tail pipes. I have seen many Ford trucks with the black tail pipes... gene

Old 10-12-2009, 12:35 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
you should still have them occur, although the DPF is not catching all the soot. But there may be more to it than that. So I would have it checked out. Maybe a sensor or fuel issues.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:05 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know a guy that has heavy soot in the pipe and spews black exhaust every time he accelerates. Dealer keeps telling him that nothing is wrong. I just don't get it! Completely stock, regens occuring every 700 miles or so. Blows my mind.

The regen will occur but the integrity of the system HAS to be compromised. The signal for a cycle to be complete should be the reduction in exhaust back pressure. If the DPF is cracked or shattered then the pressure monitors must be getting false readings. Have it checked out but unfortunately you'll have to be very persuasive to get it fixed (at least this is what many folks report).

Old 10-12-2009, 07:25 PM
deadbug
Senior User
Right,
I have very little black at this point just started to notice it,
Might give them a call and see what there response is.

It would either be a sensor problem, fuel problem or cracked dpf ?

I always fill up at the same station didn't think it would be fuel.

have not seen any smoke out the exhaust either, gray or black

Old 10-12-2009, 08:16 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you don't have sooty pipes then there may be a number of things. A guy that goes by Vloney posted about this, I think he is a mechanic at a Ford dealer in MO. He makes a point that sooty pipes can be caused by several things, not necessarily a problem with the DPF. I think some cases are a rich/overfueling injection system. The sensors could be giving trouble but it would be impossible to know if there are no codes thrown by the computer. I had a sensor go bad in my exhaust and it ran for a whole day (300 miles or so) before the check engine light came on the next morning.

You will probably get nowhere with any of this if there is not a check engine light on. But remember, I'm trying to think out loud here and tell everything that I know but I am not a mechanic/diesel tech. As far as I know a cracked DPF is a condition that does not typically throw an error code and this is why it's such a problem to diagnose.

Good luck. If it were me I would probably drive it for a few weeks. If you happen to be in a jurisdiction where there are emissions tests you could see if you can get it to fail. This would be a certain attention getter at your dealership!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:35 AM
whporwil
Senior User
I had my truck at a dealer I didn't buy from a week ago for another reason. Image my surprise when I got a call from the service rep and he told me they wanted to change my DPF because I had black pipes. After talking to him a few minutes and suggesting there could be another reason I decided to let them do it. If I get black pipes again then I have another issue. My problem is I'm happy with everything about my truck and worry about the litle things that can go wrong once somebody starts tinkering with it.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 AM
deadbug
Senior User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I know a guy that has heavy soot in the pipe and spews black exhaust every time he accelerates. Dealer keeps telling him that nothing is wrong. I just don't get it! Completely stock, regens occuring every 700 miles or so. Blows my mind.

The regen will occur but the integrity of the system HAS to be compromised. The signal for a cycle to be complete should be the reduction in exhaust back pressure. If the DPF is cracked or shattered then the pressure monitors must be getting false readings. Have it checked out but unfortunately you'll have to be very persuasive to get it fixed (at least this is what many folks report).
Ya, no I hear ya ruschejj,
I only have 7k on it she's a weekend warrior, so you could be right.
when you guys started to notice tail pipes turning black. did it happen overnight or slowly
maybe i should post a pick

Old 10-13-2009, 06:46 PM
bavrit
Freshman User
I have a cracked DPF too, mine regens every 670 miles, almost exactly. I get 18.6 on the hwy and 14 in town. It is a 08 F250, short bed, crew 4x4. I am NOT planning on a new DPF. I figure it is catching less soot and regen'ing by miles rather than back pressure. My 2 cents.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:35 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
whats the warranty from Ford for the DPF ?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:34 AM
senix
Super Moderator
covered under the bumper to bumper 36/36. It is also an emissions component I think, don't quote me 60K

Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
covered under the bumper to bumper 36/36. It is also an emissions component I think, don't quote me 60K
I thought emissions stuff was 8yr/100,000 miles, gov't mandated

sam

Old 10-14-2009, 10:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I thought emissions stuff was 8yr/100,000 miles, gov't mandated

sam
You maybe right. It will be in the owners manual at any rate.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:27 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My tailpipe was clean as new up to 18,000 miles; then they went black.

Dealer comments were it is a diesel, they are suppose to be black; mine regens anywhere from 260 miles to +450 miles but most often between 300-400 miles. I reset the second trip odometer every time it cycles.....

I keep hoping for a check engine or some new service advisory from Ford about the issue; when it gets close to no emissions waranty I'll push the issue. I'm at +41,000 miles now.

Bob

Quick Reply: If your dpf was cracked?