Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad diesel fuel and hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:30 PM
mjorg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad diesel fuel and hesitation

Not sure how it happened either bad fuel or small pieces of the fuel filter rubber gasket shredded a little and got into the system. It all started when I thought I bought some bad fuel at Safeway the truck would hesitate and sometimes stall but not all the time. So I replaced the fuel filter thinking I had water in the tank and notice the old gasket was shredded a little on one side. This was in June 09. Drove the truck some more but still had hesitation trouble but not all the time. In Aug 09 we took a long trip hopping that running through a few tanks would get rid of the bad fuel.

This did not help. It would still hesitate a few times the first 10 min of driving and then run normally maybe hesitate again. I even drained the fuel bowl a few times.

Went to the dealer last week and told them the problem and he suggest to use some injection cleaner. Dump it in both tanks but only gone about 100 miles so far and still hesitates.

Yesterday I took the fuel filter off again to see if there was any junk in the fuel filter bowl (lack of a better term). There was black junk inside the filter. Not sure where this came from so I cleaned the fuel filter tank out and drained it and ran some clean fuel through it and bought a new fuel filter.

Took off this morning and within 10 min it hesitated again really bad and then ran fine. Did it again before getting to work. Coming home did the same thing within 5 min of driving from work to home. It seems to this the first 5-10 min of driving.

Plan on going on another trip this weekend. Hopefully it will clean it self out, but I'm doubtful.

Do not think it is the injectors since it runs fin after 10+ min of driving, but then again!

If I still have the problem after this trip is there some way to flush the system out without taking it to the shop?

Other suggestions?

Thanks

Old 10-05-2009, 10:20 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What engine are you working on, is it the IDI diesel or the PSD? I don't know much about the PSD, but with an IDI you can disconnect the rubber hose connecting the lift pump to the steel fuel line on the frame, fuel should flow freely and you can observe its color for contaminants inside the tanks. I'm thinking maybe your injection pump is getting dirty, pull the filter and fill it with trans fluid instead, ATF cleans up gummed up IPs pretty good.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:22 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,211 Posts
it sounds like you have crap in the fuel tanks, and the pickup socks are missing off the end of the tubes, or have holes in them.

about the only way to solve this problem is to clean the fuel tanks.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:15 PM
mjorg
New User
Originally Posted by M.L.S.C.
What engine are you working on, is it the IDI diesel or the PSD? I don't know much about the PSD, but with an IDI you can disconnect the rubber hose connecting the lift pump to the steel fuel line on the frame, fuel should flow freely and you can observe its color for contaminants inside the tanks. I'm thinking maybe your injection pump is getting dirty, pull the filter and fill it with trans fluid instead, ATF cleans up gummed up IPs pretty good.
It the 7.3 IDI.

Where about on the frame would the lift pump be? Would it be closer to the engine?
Too dark to do look for it tonight have to check it tomorrow.

I will give the ATF a try.

Thanks

Marty

Old 10-07-2009, 08:46 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
the lift pump is mounted on the passenger front side of the engine.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 AM
mjorg
New User
****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cmaj2867%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cms ohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-style:italic;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I took the fuel filter out and there was just a little amount of small black specs inside the filter. Ran some ATF through the fuel bowl with the drain valve open and then rain some clean diesel fuel. Cleaned out the filter and reinstalled. This morning drive to work it still killed the engine a couple of times whiles driving in the first 5 miles. Interesting thing it does not do it until I’m about 3 miles down the road. Almost didn’t make it on the Highway the RPM’s went down to zero a couple of times but then started up again. Then no hesitation all the way to work on the Highway (8 miles)
<o> </o>
Isn’t the fuel filter suppose to stop all the grit from getting to the injectors?
Would a piece of junk like the size of a very small bread crumb cause the engine to stop running?
<o> </o>
Thanks

Old 10-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The idea of the ATF is to clean any gum or similar from the injector pump.
Pull the filter again and empty it. Fill it to the brim with ATF and refit. Do not open any drains. Start the engine and let it run for about 30secs and shut it off. Leave the truck for about 3 hours or preferably over night. Then start it and drive it and see if there is any improvement.
Also you may want to post this on the pre-power stroke page in the diesel section. A lot of smart guys there (just go down the main forum page a bit).

Old 10-07-2009, 12:15 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lazy K is entirely correct, the idea is to get the ATF inside the injection pump. Also, the filter does stop some, but not all dirt - remember the filter only stops specs as small as 12 microns, anything smaller passes right trough and is free to pile up in the IP. The older 6.9 trucks had 6-micron filters tho... Which is why in my truck I put one of each - I kept the factory 12-micron 7.3 filter but moved it off to the side, and installed a 6-micron 6.9 filter and head in the factory location, seems to work pretty good.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:28 PM
mjorg
New User
I put in ATF in the fuel bowl and left it stand overnight. Once I drained the ATF I notice a lot of crap in the bottom of the fuel bowl. Is this normal (I Doubt it) Is this the junk that is causing the engine to stall out? I treied to clean it out the best I could but do not have a socket to take the center tube off. Is there a speacial tool to do this with?

I refilled the fuel bowl with clean Diesel and took it for a drive and the engine died out twice within 3 miles of driving then ran fine for another 5 miles until I got home.

Thanks

Marty

Old 10-08-2009, 06:14 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
you need to run the atf through the engine,not just let it sit in the fuel bowl.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:12 PM
mjorg
New User
Yes I did run the engine for 30+ secs with the ATF in the fuel bowl. Then drained and filled with fresh diesel fuel.

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:47 AM
markedman90
Senior User
I personally think your fuel pump is going away, and the black junk is parts of the diaghram getting sent thru the system. Lift (fuel) pump on these is just like (and in the same location as) the pump on a carbed gas engine. The Stan-o-dyne pumps are near bullet proof. But that's just my opinion.
Another thing - buy fuel from people that sell A LOT of it, not someplace that sees 1 or 2 oil burners a week.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:38 AM
mjorg
New User
Originally Posted by markedman90
I personally think your fuel pump is going away, and the black junk is parts of the diaghram getting sent thru the system. Lift (fuel) pump on these is just like (and in the same location as) the pump on a carbed gas engine. The Stan-o-dyne pumps are near bullet proof. But that's just my opinion.
Another thing - buy fuel from people that sell A LOT of it, not someplace that sees 1 or 2 oil burners a week.
Were is the fuel pump on this beast? A friend and myself tried to look for it and couldn't find the dang thing.

I also notice at idle it bounces around from 600 to 700 RPM. Is this normal?

Went for a road trip yesterday and hesitated/cut out around 5 miles down the road got on Highway drove 100 miles with no problems. Stopped of to get a bite to eat and within a mile hesitated/cut out again drove another 100 miles with no issues. Stopped and turned engine off. Would not even start. Let it sit for 10 min then it started up but stalled out twice before going again. Later that day left for home and hesitated/cutout within the first 5 miles. Drove 75 highway miles until traffic came to a stop and the engine died but was able to start up. Did this twice until traffic started to move again with no issues the rest of the trip home.

Do not want to take it on anymore trips until this problem gets resolved.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:09 PM
markedman90
Senior User
Fuel pump on right side of the front cover, just like on a gas engine. Trace the line from the fuel filter down to the right.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:14 PM
mjorg
New User
Problem solved

Took it in to Power Stop in Enumclaw WA and they found the problem right away. The Cam Sensor was bad. Only a $45 itme and now the truck runs fine.

Thanks

Marty

Quick Reply: Bad diesel fuel and hesitation