1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Restoring 1949 Ford F3

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Tilleyman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Stu. I need to look more closely to the ones that I took off my truck.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 AM
CarlH
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starter motor problems, frustrations!

Haven't made much progress on my F3 restoration project due to some health problems, but one thing keeps annoying me.

It's this: Sometimes my starter motor packs up and refuses to turn the engine. Just hear clicks. I get underneath and loosen it and wiggle it around a bit, then tighten it and it works just fine. I took off the can that hides the end and see that the shaft is not centered in the hole. The mounting flange puts the starter motor at a slight angle.

Any suggestions about what's happening?

CarlH
1949 F3 Express

Old 10-01-2013, 08:52 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Your ring gear is binding in your starter bendix. The next time your starter binds up, put the truck in high gear and rock it back and fourth. You will probably hear a "snap" as the starter pops free. You may have a worn out ring gear, worn out starter bendix, or something caught between the starter and mounting flange.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 PM
CarlH
Senior User

New ring gear. Rebuilt starter motor. Not sure why it hangs up. Should the starter motor be at an angle to the ring gear? Seems strange, but that is the way mine sits.

CarlH
1949 F3

Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Can you post a picture of the starter bendix and ring gear?

Old 10-05-2013, 11:53 PM
dmptrkr
Senior User
It sounds like you may have a car engine starter plate on a truck bell housing. FTE member r_reed had the same trouble, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-is-done.html

Old 10-06-2013, 06:38 AM
CarlH
Senior User

Exactly right, Craig! I discovered recently that I have a car engine. And of course the bell housing is the original one for the truck. What's the fix? Get a truck starter plate?

CarlH
1949 F3

Old 10-06-2013, 07:46 AM
dmptrkr
Senior User
I think the truck starter plate will work. Of course, it will bolt to the truck bell housing. Trucks starter plates have two bolts that go into the bottom of the truck oil pan, car oil pans don't have provision for those bolts. Those bolts might not be very necessary. The opening around the crankshaft on the truck starter plate is much larger and it uses a different dust seal. The car starter plate uses a little rubber seal that fits on its edge. Trucks use a big aluminum piece that fits between the starter plate and oil pan to seal the larger crank opening. One of these, Flywheel Housing Cover Seal | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts. I don't know for sure that piece works with the car oil pan, it probably does.

Dick found a starter plate on Ebay, I think from a 53 bellhousing, I dont know if car of truck, but it used the car type dust seal and had the desired flat starter mounting. It fit and worked very well for him. Might be a hard to find piece though.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:01 PM
CarlH
Senior User
Starter motor problem fixed

Thanks to Craig, I ordered the right starter motor mounting plate from Chuck's Trucks in CT. Installation was a PITA, lying on my back under the truck, but the secret was to put the starter motor on the plate outside the truck, then put it in place.
No more jammed pinon gear (I hope).

Now I need something to fill in the opening where the truck plate has a larger opening.....

CarlH
1949 Ford F3

Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 PM
CarlH
Senior User
Dome light on 49 F-series

Did the 1948-50 F-series pickups come with a dome light? Mine is missing and I don't see them in the catalogs.

CarlH
1949 F3

Old 12-05-2013, 10:29 AM
subaruguy72
Freshman User
I have a New F2....:)

Morning guys...I am a Super 61-66 Slick Series Lover.....My Wife of 13yrs recently let me know she has had a Serious Crush on the 48-49 Trucks, So I had to find her one....I located this F2 on Craigslist in a Desert Town 350 miles from home....Lived there its entire life, Zero Rot, Very minimum rust....I have some things to fix....It has its original Flat head V8 4 speed and Rear end in the Bed of the thing, Motor is Tore done with Pistons and rods missing... But everything else appears to be there...Last owner stuffed a 1973 302, auto and 3:73 Dana 60 into it, so it is a pretty decent street driver now....Not road worthy just yet, but should not take much.....
Couple questions....looking thru your many pics, battery seems to be on Passenger side in most trucks, Mine is sitting on the driver side....Was this just relocated....? Also Several of you make mention of Express bed or standard bed trucks...? Can someone explain the difference..? Wondering if I have one or the other and if I have the correct tailgate..? It is the only thing not pained this LOUD blue...

I could not find a F2 Specific thread, so I figured I would share here....I have read all 20 pages over the last week..lots of great info here guys.....thanks...

I am in need of both door glass pieces..mine are here, but both are broken and foggy from age.....any ideas...?

Thanks, and if you know of any other good threads to read up on, please share....

This is her Christmas/ Anniversary gift...
Enjoy the pics...John in Oregon.
Sorry for the Hi-Jacking...

Name:  00U0U_3GV6uj7tUcF_600x450-1.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  31.1 KB

Name:  00m0m_egumPHm4mOg_600x450.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  00303_eXIpbl5hcAK_600x450.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  00606_7SojKSZRHGM_600x450.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  36.1 KB

Old 12-05-2013, 10:43 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Welcome to the world of Bonus Built Fords, 1948-52.

From looking at the picture of your engine compartment it looks like your truck started life as a six cylinder truck. Six cylinder trucks had the battery mounted on the driver's side. It also looks like the starter solenoid was quickly bolted on the passenger side, on the six it would have been mounted just above the batter on the firewall.

Take a look at the position of the radiator, there are two mounting positions, one for the V8, which is closer to the cab, and the position for the six cylinder which is further forward because the six cylinder engine was longer. Also, the air dam in the hood, just over the radiator has two mounting positions to correspond with the position of the radiator.

The Express bed, which is the 8' bed was used on the F-2 and F-3, the shorter box was used on the F-1. The Express bed is not only longer but wider and has higher sides which needs a wider and taller tailgate. Won't be able to tell you if you have the correct tailgate without seeing a picture of it. If it had three raised panels and the Ford in script writing and fits the opening of the box then you probably have the correct box.

This page from my web site might help a little:

www.fatfenderedtrucks.com/partsinterchange.html

As for glass, that's probably one of the easiest things to find. Any good glass shop should be able to cut new glass using your old glass for a pattern. Make sure they use highway safety class. You will only be able to get it cut in laminated glass, you probably would be able to find anyone who can make them out of tempered glass like modern vehicles. I had trouble finding an auto glass place locally who still cut glass, I ended up going to a place that did shower door glass.

Good luck with the truck. Sounds like you have a wife with good taste, at least when it comes to trucks.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:51 AM
CarlH
Senior User
Blue F2

Welcome John in Oregon!
First of all, what a great find! F2 is similar to the F3 so don't worry about hi-jacking!
To answer a couple of your questions...the Express refers to the longer pickup bed 8 ft (or thereabouts) found on the F2 and F3 as opposed to the 6 ft bed on the F1.
With the flat head V8 installed, the battery would have been on the passenger side. When a PO installed the different engine, he moved it over to the other side for some reason.
Window glass can easily be ordered from any of a number of vendors, e.g., MACs in Lockport, New York, or National Parts Depot in various locations.
Hope your wife enjoys her truck.

CarlH
1949 F3 Express
2011 Ranger XL (recent replacement for my tired 1997 F150)

Old 12-05-2013, 10:56 AM
CarlH
Senior User
Oh yes, Bob is right. I forgot that the six cylinder engine had the battery on the driver's side. Wonder why there is a V8 in the bed?
CarlH

Old 12-05-2013, 11:09 AM
subaruguy72
Freshman User
Thanks guys..On the bed, It is definately 8 foot, so All is good there...

I am told it was the V8 to start with, all the original stuff is in the bed still...I think maybe they stuck battery there to be closer to the 302 Starter maybe..?? on the Automatic...? no biggy....I am looking forward to this project..it is just a bunch of little things....I actually drove it off the trailer and into the driveway... the pics are from where it was stored over east in the Carport when I bought it....Or I should say traded for it....

My Wife is Awesome...she lets me play with my trucks , and Now has her own...more shop time together...

Quick Reply: Restoring 1949 Ford F3